Gibson Brands Forums

12 days and a wake up.

Navy Vet.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:46 AM, Navy Vet. said:

I have 12 days until I'm officially retired. In addition to this I have a closing date on a home in Johnson City TN 18 days away..... living in the mountains of East Tennessee and trout fishing at will.

Wow, major congrats, Navy!  That's some big changes in a very short time.   We're prepping our Wild West house to get it sold so we can fund a major remodel of our place in north Idaho.  Not sure where we're going to live in the meantime.  :^/

• Like 1

Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service. I walked out of the Air Force door in 2003 and I have no idea where the time has gone. Retirement number two is already on the horizon.  I think the -339 is a good choice. 

• Like 1

I remember my 12 days & a wake up... That's another story though....

Thank you for your Service & Congratulations..

I own most of the essential Gibson & Epiphones & love them. The looks, the Sound & how they play...

That said, Fenders have their own Sound & are great Guitars too.. I wanted to diversify the Sound of my Arsenal of Guitars so I went out & played all the Fender I could find. In 1993 I got a gift for Fathers Day, a new Fender 40th Anniv. American Strat! It is one of the best Strat's I've ever encountered. Years later I got a couple Tele's. One of them is a Fender USA Reissue '69 Thinline Tele in Aged Olympic White with Maple Fretboard.. That is one Sweet Guitar! 

With the Gibsons & Fenders I have the best of both Worlds... And both Worlds are great but neither are anything alike. 

Nothing against the 339 as it's a great Guitar but not much different sounding than the ones you have... 

Good luck & enjoy enjoy your retirement,

Larsongs

• Like 1

The clock is ticking.. When I was getting out of the army we used to scream SHORT, just to let every one know that another one survived enlistment and it felt really good to hear it coming out of my mouth.. Then many years later it was waiting for my SSI to kick in...

Currently waiting for my setneck Thinline Tele with P90's to arrive in a few days..

Enjoy your retirement and remember to play all of your guitars in your considerable collection, at least one a day to keep the doctor away... 🙂 

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 7:37 AM, SteveFord said:

Maybe I missed it but did you ever get the guitar?

I bought 2 guitars and an amp. The first guitar I bought is an Ovation Viper, all wood from Doug Wyatt Music in Gatlinburg. I dig the guitar. The second guitar I bought is an American Professional Tele, butterscotch blond with one ply black pick guard and a Vox AC10 amp from Campbell’s Music here in Johnson City.  I love the guitar and amp. 

1 hour ago, Navy Vet. said:

I bought 2 guitars and an amp. The first guitar I bought is an Ovation Viper, all wood from Doug Wyatt Music in Gatlinburg. I dig the guitar. The second guitar I bought is an American Professional Tele, butterscotch blond with one ply black pick guard and a Vox AC10 amp from Campbell’s Music here in Johnson City.  I love the guitar and amp. 

Very cool, and by my math you should be retired?  Is it official, and if so - congrats!

6 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

Very cool, and by my math you should be retired?  Is it official, and if so - congrats!

I’m retired. I have nothing to do and nowhere to go. But I’m going to become a volunteer at the VA here in Johnson City. I retired from the VA and now I’m going to work for free at the VA.

Edited by Navy Vet.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

I’m retired. I have nothing to do and nowhere to go. But I’m going to become a volunteer at the VA here in Johnson City. I retired from the VA and now I’m going to work for free at the VA.

How could you have nothing to do with all those guitars?

NaVet,  I remember, barely, when I had 12DTG - 11 and a wake-up.  Many of my fellow radiomen had gotten out and I was reduced to going out drinking every night with the Mail Clerk !  He had a month or so longer than I to go. We were in dry dock in Jacksonville FL, and could walk to The Flying Dutchman across from the Greyhound Station - and then walk back to the ship passing the Maxwell House coffee factory. The aroma awakened us to the fact that Navy Coffee wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  The day I last crossed the gangway - I felt relieved, but lost.  Walked, in my dress blues to the Greyhound station and headed south to my new home.  

Thank you for your service.  Although I only spent 4 years in the Nav - I am now Really Retired.  You need to realize that it takes 3 or 4 'hobbies' to fill the workday. Guitars alone will NOT do it !  I did 2 volunteering gigs - one at the city zoo for a year and another, 4+ years at a horse rescue ranch.  Found they were a little too reminiscent of 'work'.  I busted my chops for the 38 years after leaving the Navy, and had/have no interest in being forced into anything resembling a work schedule with rules and expectations.   Just remember - you've earned this - you are now really at the point we dream of from our first day of school - to be free.  Enjoy it, you've earned it - no pressure - it's your life !  

Oh, and congrats also on the NGD....Next guitar ?   Consider a banjo !!!

Good luck in your new home in your new state. I have traveled through the Tri-Cities frequently (I live further up the 81 in Virginia), but have never stopped there for long - but I've always meant to. It looks like a nice area.

When you fancy a truly spectacular drive one day, take the 26 South to Asheville. It's practically America's emptiest piece of interstate, and the mountains are spectacular.

Good luck with your new Tele. Best guitar Leo ever made - like you, the only Fender I have...although I could be tempted towards a Jaguar, too, one day.

10 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Good luck in your new home in your new state. I have traveled through the Tri-Cities frequently (I live further up the 81 in Virginia), but have never stopped there for long - but I've always meant to. It looks like a nice area.

When you fancy a truly spectacular drive one day, take the 26 South to Asheville. It's practically America's emptiest piece of interstate, and the mountains are spectacular.

Good luck with your new Tele. Best guitar Leo ever made - like you, the only Fender I have...although I could be tempted towards a Jaguar, too, one day.

Asheville is only 50 minutes from my house. I haven’t been there yet but plan to visit soon. If you are ever in JC you should drop by Campbell- Morrell Music. I love the place, I spent over 2K in one week. I asked the manager to ban me for 90 days. He laughed and said he can’t do that. I can’t stay out of the place.  It’s going to take me a while to adjust to retirement, I will volunteer at the VA, after a career working for the VA, I’m going to work for free.

Funny thing about the Tele, it’s the only guitar Fender makes that I will play. Now I’m jonesing for a Firebird. 

10 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

If you are ever in JC you should drop by Campbell- Morrell Music.

There's a pawn shop two doors down from Campbell's music called Albert's Pawn and it has a small guitar shop called Strings.  Check it out.  They have some oddball guitars and stuff and some cool amps.  I just fixed the grillcloth on a speaker cabinet for them.