Gibson Brands Forums
Karloff

First gig / Memorable gig

One of the more memorable gigs I've played was  a gig I don't remember as well as I should. It was around September 2018 at the annual BWI Piedmont/US Airways reunion.  This was our second time playing it. Three of our band members were former employees, hence the reason we were asked to play. It's a pretty big deal that goes on all day and people fly in from all over the country to attend. So between setting up and playing I'm talking and catching up with old friends I haven't seen in years. I've had several beers and even a few shots and feeling pretty good. There was a guy at the bar who wasn't part of the reunion party but Steve and I know him from our acoustic gigs that he is almost always at. Between the second and final set he invited me to step out and have a puff (you know). I don't always do that, but in this case I did. :rolleyes: When we came back for the last set, I totally butchered the first song we played. Our drummer looked at lead singer Steve like wtf? Steve said over the mic "who roofied Jay?" That got a lot of laughs. I fumbled through the remaining set until we ended with the outro Feebird jam, which I also slopped up.

We had a friend filling in on keys for our regular keyboard player, but this guy Ed is really a great bass player. Our bass player Dave asked if Ed wanted to play some bass for one more song. Ed said sure, and strapped on the bass and promptly launched in to a Chic bass line. Dave's jaw dropped when he saw how good Ed is on bass. Steve started an impromptu version of Rappers Delight and then took his wireless mic into the crowd and was free-form rapping and dancing with all the dancers. It was hilarious. I was trying to play rhythm but between the buzz and laughing my as@ off I was no good. 

That was definitely one of the most fun gigs I've ever played. Then, we went to an after party at a girls house who lives literally right next to the bar. Some of that part isn't fit to print here and I wouldn't anyway.  [cool] 

My first "gig" was just sitting in with a real band when I was 11 years old. "The Other Half" in Clearwater Beach Florida at a club called the "Surfside". My Uncle was fresh out of Nam and became friends with them and made me do it. I guess I pulled it off pretty good, the other guitar player left the stage and I did several songs with them, playing guitar and singing. I remember doing Proud Mary, don't know what else. Dizzy, maybe.

The most memorable, I barely remember, was when Jerry Garcia sat in with us in Apache Jct. Arizona at the Lucky Nugget around 1977/78 and nobody in that redneck bar knew who he was, including me. By the time we figured it out he was gone and it was over. It was one of those drunk nights, so not very memorable actually. 

Most memorable - a whirlwind Halloween tour as the keyboardist for Bobby 'Boris' Pickett.  1970-something.  We played the Monster Mash. :^)  Brian Ray on his '57 LP goldtop.  Jean Ray one of the backup singers ("Tennis shoe wa-ooh").  All loaded into a big RV, gig in Dallas, then St. Louis.  What a trip!!!

First gig:

My first real gig was when I was in high school. We had been together a few months, worked up a list, had me on rhythm, another guy with a '61 Les Paul playing lead and singing, drummer, bass and two other "vocalists." It was at the local skating rink in January or February 1983 and I was a Senior at the time. It was me, my Electra Workingman guitar into a Fender Twin with a Big Muff Pi for distortion. I remember being SO nervous and had the proverbial butterflies in my stomach. The gig went pretty well but at the end, two tragic things happened. The amp quit working and the guitar slipped off the strap to the floor, smacked the headstock, the fretboard was coming up from the neck and a few bumps. I knew nothing about straplocks at that time. I learned fast.

Most memorable gig:

Probably one on the Sunday before Labor Day at a fairly large club. It was always a busy club on Sundays anyway but this time they were PACKED. It was 95+ degrees outside, about the same inside, and probably 110+ on the stage. It was brutally hot under 60 cans of lights on that stage. I could tell there were a lot of people in the club and was surprised at the final count. 2500 people came to see us that night and it was amazing hearing everyone cheering, singing along, dancing and smashing into each other. The open floor was completely packed, the booths, tables, aisles and everything was packed in this club in the middle of nowhere.

Second most memorable gig:

I had to share this because it sticks out in my mind a lot out of the hundreds of gigs I've played. When I went to Musician's Institute in 1989 to 1990, we had a live performance class where we rehearsed with a band (hopefully) and went out on the big stage with the big amps, PA, monitors, and a big concert hall. Each band played one song and in the seats were anywhere from 500 to 1000 musicians. They weren't your usual drunk bar crowd. They were watching your every movement. It was very unnerving for a lot of people. We went out and did No More Mister Nice Guy by Alice Cooper, rocked it up some and had a good time with it. The instructors would critique the performance afterwards each time. It was easier each time I played but that first time in front of all those musicians was definitely memorable.

My parents threw a party for my 18 y/o sister and hired a band. I was probably around 12 (1965), and with a friend of mine who was a year older, we played one instrumental song, Bad to Me (McCartney), while the real band took a break. I played rhythm, and he played lead, and we plugged our POS Kent guitars into the band's amps. It actually sounded good, and we got enthusiastic applause. Man, that felt great!

I've never gigged much, a few years with a couple of bands. I had a keyboard player friend who was doing a gig with a trumpet player, and he wanted guitar player. He asked me to join him at the last minute, so there was no time to rehearse. He gave me a copy of the charts while we were setting up, and that was it.  It went very well, and I even grabbed a couple of solos that worked out well. I'm kinda proud of that.  

Edited by zigzag

First gig was in an apartment complex, then called Maracaibo Manor, clubhouse, c. 1981.  My band did punk and rock (all over the map) covers.

521420_10150958404803879_1433778804_n.jp

After we finished a couple sets, our friends in the first punk rock band in town, Roach Motel, played a set of their originals using our gear.  Which was cool.  Like 35 years later it got us a passing mention in this book:

fp-1486593450.webp

Most memorable gig, easily playing bass for the late great Bo Diddley.

379463_10150410984018879_763948352_n.jpg