Gibson Brands Forums

Not too meticulous, result ridiculous

rar

Some posters, including me, have been wondering about words such as those in the title being "bleeped" in the forum. Try googling the missing letters and "spanish". Thanks to whoever decided that checking the context wasn't necessary when doing the obscenity filtering, I've learned a new vulgarism that I can sneak into conversations with my Spanish-speaking friends and neighbors!

-- Bob R

Back before I got the internet I frequently used the services of the Java Connection, where you could use their computers and internet connection for an hourly fee. Their filters were so strict I couldn't even search on ebay for a four stringed fretted Fender instrument with a 34" scale prefixed by Precision.

Sheesh.

Apparently a word splled c - u - l - 0 is Spanish slang for buns' date=' bottom, fanny, or 'bum' as you say in Canadia.[/quote']

I think it's a little worse than that. According to one source, the word is also used for the opening of a bottle. So, the closest English equivalent would be .... well, just what you would guess.

-- Bob R

This is actually good news. When you see a computer making an arse of itself (some programmer told it to find c-u-l-o .. then you realize machine music will never come close to music made by a human player and a human band of players. Programmers can get the computer to imitate some forms of playing (like a drum beat) but they cannot actually make a drum solo. We (the humans) and our instruments have too many possibilities and the computers cannot CREATE (only we can -- so far) .. However imperfect we are .. we are it! The machines cannot do it.

Yeah' date=' a lot of people, mainly in the lounge were blaming Mike (guitarstrummer) for being overzealous and editing everyone posts just because he had the power to do so at the time. He no longer has that power, and he's no longer around, so that's definitely not the case.

[/quote']

What happned to him (mike)?

What happened to him (mike)?

He has decided to no longer be an active member of this forum. The way everyone crucified him, I can't say as I blame him. I have spoke with him via PM, in hopes we could ALL bury the past and start anew. I still think he is a wealth of knowledge, and would like to see him return. The decision ultimately lies with him though. As for co-ordination of the Homecomming, I don't know what will happen with that.

Yeah' date=' a lot of people, mainly in the lounge were blaming Mike (guitarstrummer) for being overzealous and editing everyone posts just because he had the power to do so at the time. He no longer has that power, and he's no longer around, so that's definitely not the case.

[/quote']

I don't know Mike and I personally only saw one instance where his post was a little, well, pedantic, but based on what many others wrote there must have been some kind of a history there. I don't have a dog in that fight so I don't really know or care about it.

But based on my experience on other sites...when the guy/gal who is chosen as Mod is met with incredulity and even anger from your members, perhaps the wrong person was chosen?

{snip}

But based on my experience on other sites...when the guy/gal who is chosen as Mod is met with incredulity and even anger from your members' date=' perhaps the wrong person was chosen?[/quote']

Perhaps. We will never know though since he was never given a chance to do the job. He was ran out of town on a rail over a past incident with another forum member. Many jumped on the bandwagon without even knowing the history. While I did/do feel Mike may have been wrong in the way he handled the situation with the other forum member, just as I felt when the other forum member went away, I feel the same way about Mike.

This forum belongs to all of us, and just as in real life we won't all get along or agree with others in this virtual forum.

But no one should ever be publicly embarrassed, threatened, intimidated, harassed, or shamed into leaving.

Try to remember, it was the forum members who petitioned Gibson to give us a lounge area. And it was the forum members who petitioned Gibson to put the moderators in place to begin with. Then when the lounge descended into nothing but flaming posts and the mods who were brought in by request to clean it up gets jumped on....well 'nuff said.

My bottom line is he has a wealth of knowledge on Gibson guitars, and I would like to see him return.

It's Sunday, and I'm in a good mood. So I'm gonna shut up and play my new (used) D-16H now.

I agree with TheLiveSoundGuy. The guitarstrummer and I had our differences long settled in the old days. I reacted poorly in this new matter and without all the facts at hand. I was wrong. I can't say it much clearer. This forum does belong to all of us, as said. And, likewise, my bottom line is also, I would like to see Mike return. Think I'll shut up also, borrow some of that good mood and go watch basketball!

In "Catch 22" they had to edit the mail being sent home so that secrets were not inadvertently mentioned -- so one guy had to cross out every "the" and another had to cross out any "it" and the only catch was Catch 22 ... censorship is always a little bit crazy -- and "politically correct" is absolutely insane. (and I know some people who go ballistic if you fail to state things the politically correct way ... which is reason enough for me to fail to be politically correct).

He was ran out of town on a rail over a past incident with another forum member. Many jumped on the bandwagon without even knowing the history.

Isn't that the way it usualy goes, It's so easy to join in on slamming someone when everyone esle is. (Just like children on a playground) Not to mention, online you have the ability to hide behind a monitor and you don't have to look anyone in the face. I found it a bit disturbing how many in the Gibon Lounge jumped on the bandwagon and bashed Guitarstrummer with out having any previous knowledge about him what so ever.

I feel the forum has sufferd a loss with Guitarstrummer's leaving. He had a lot of knowledge that he willingly shared with people and even contacted Gibson on other people's behalf to help them out. As far as any future Homcomnigs go, unless someone else steps up to the plate and has the same passion for it as Guitarstrummer did. This year may be the last one.

Well said. The problems that arise in forums is when people don't respect one another. Virtual groups for many are just like round-table-talk (the way it should be). Some may recall also last year how moderates @ Gibson overreacted with too broad a sweep on everyone (in the electric section). That too can create dissension. But as I commented back then, it's their forum and we're guests in their home here. IIRC, Guitarstrummer was a valuable participant here, but I obviously missed or forgot any strife that occurred in particular that may have led to his departure.

I've been active online since the early days of net groups in the mid 80's, and it so easy to make things work when the participant treats others as friends as if they were in the same room sitting next to them where they could actually reach out and say hello with a handshake. It's been my observation that when the mentality turns for the poster who feels "anonymous" and can act out aggression without "really" being in the one-on-one reality.

While some forums are better than others, all suffer from the anonymous poster syndrome (as I call it) from time to time. I particularly like the acoustic section of this forum - good and knowledgeable people who are at the ready to help others or just give the occasional nice comment or advice about someone's new guitar decision. :)

Perhaps. We will never know though since he was never given a chance to do the job. He was ran out of town on a rail over a past incident with another forum member. Many jumped on the bandwagon without even knowing the history. While I did/do feel Mike may have been wrong in the way he handled the situation with the other forum member' date=' just as I felt when the other forum member went away, I feel the same way about Mike.

[b']

This forum belongs to all of us[/b], and just as in real life we won't all get along or agree with others in this virtual forum.

But no one should ever be publicly embarrassed, threatened, intimidated, harassed, or shamed into leaving.

Try to remember, it was the forum members who petitioned Gibson to give us a lounge area. And it was the forum members who petitioned Gibson to put the moderators in place to begin with. Then when the lounge descended into nothing but flaming posts and the mods who were brought in by request to clean it up gets jumped on....well 'nuff said.

My bottom line is he has a wealth of knowledge on Gibson guitars, and I would like to see him return.

It's Sunday, and I'm in a good mood. So I'm gonna shut up and play my new (used) D-16H now.

I’d like to add my 2c worth. I’ve been here going on 3 years. During that time I’ve seen many conflicts and people come and go. I remember a period the forum went through shortly before the redesign when it seemed like there were sometimes only 2 posts a day and Mike was likely both of them. Whether we like or agree with him or not he was certainly passionate and knowledgeable regarding all things Gibson and I will miss his contributions. I can’t participate as much as I’d like to due to work, but I follow along what most people are saying. I agree with some and disagree with others and that’s ok.

BTW…Where’s Wily, Cunkhead, Thermionik, Pet Peeves, Tim Farney, Hellbound Greaser, et al. I used to enjoy their contributions too. I'm glad GG came back.

For what it is worth ... I do not know many of the monikers you are talking about .. but forums are not an appropriate place for condemnations of individuals. Forums are for sharing opinions (often we do not agree with opinions but that's it). People who are assigned to monitor and apply standards can be expected to apply the standards. (like a highway cop). We OUGHT to keep our posts to opinions about the topic and not engage in personal recrimination.

BTW…Where’s Wily' date=' Cunkhead, Thermionik, Pet Peeves, Tim Farney, Hellbound Greaser, et al. I used to enjoy their contributions too. I'm glad GG came back.

[/quote']

Thanks Pei. I am wondering the same thing??!!

OWF - where are you.... you are missed!

Jeff - come back!

Nik - we miss you

Laura - I bought a new lipstick!! Guitars are like lipstick.... sometimes you just need to get yourself a new one, don't you agree?

Tim - haven't seen you in so long? I still remember one post you made about something being so high only the bats could hear it. I laughed til I was blue in the face

Hellbound - where are you?

I have no problem with Guitarstrummer anymore. We have not made our peace, but he is a wealth of knowledge about Gibsons (I think he owns every single model!) and there have been a number of posts lately where I thought 'Mike would know the answer to that.'

Quit yi*****in. I think the filters are appropriate. There's too many 'children' (some oldern' me) who get their jollies by seein' profane words they've typed on a computer screen for the whole world to see. I find it vulgar, childish and just distracting.

So what if'n I can't type **** Cheney or **** Van Dyke. Or The famous nick name for Richard Milhouse Nixon.

I find it keeps things on a tolerable level here.

Keep it up moderators. I'm with ya! Let the Unauthorized Mutton Guit tar and Fendernortner forums have the children.

I think the filters are appropriate.

I believe that pretty much everybody agrees with you. I started this off with an observation that they're poorly implemented, resulting in counterproductive -- not to mention downright silly -- results. With the possible exception of Gitfidl, no one's responded with an objection to "censorship".

-- Bob R

I believe that pretty much everybody agrees with you. I started this off with an observation that they're poorly implemented' date=' resulting in counterproductive -- not to mention downright silly -- results. With the possible exception of Gitfidl, no one's responded with an objection to "censorship".

-- Bob R[/quote']

Most folk on this forum (excepting me) are mature in outlook and many are mature in age also.

We have been censored in one way or another all our lives. We struggled through the sixties thinking we were creating a new world to be kicked in the teeth by the trials of adulthood

( namely known as "work " and "the first wife" in my case.

Generally here there is no bad language , perhaps an innuendo here and there but no profanities. So if there is silly censorhsip ( and Bob I do so agree with you!) then there is huge sport in navigating paths around it!

$$$7777(())333£">>@@@@@++++++><============YYYYY~~~~~~~!!!!!!

So there.

Archived