Gibson Brands Forums

I found my acoustic dream guitar. 65 Dove content

JuanCarlosVejar

8 hours ago, j45nick said:

What is this "retirement" of which you speak? Tell me more. It sounds promising...

Ha!  Well Nick, the world of work is not created equal & if you still enjoy what you're doing, it can certainly be a good thing.

In my case, the position required me to be available 24/7 to consult & respond to situations as necessary.  I did it for 32 years, enjoying 31 of them.  In the final year, I had hit the wall and it was effecting my health.  Thankfully, this happened to correspond with becoming eligible for Medicare at the end of that final year, so it seemed like a no-brainer.

I can only say that after 3.5 years of retirement, I'm only as comfortably busy as I want to be & my health (knock on wood) seems to be quite good.  Plus the very best thing is, I never ever have to answer the goddam phone!

50 minutes ago, bobouz said:

Ha!  Well Nick, the world of work is not created equal & if you still enjoy what you're doing, it can certainly be a good thing.

I sort of hit the wall six years ago at 66. Finished up one full-time  contract, got another short term one, and then was told they had hired someone else for my old full-time gig after that. At that point, it looked like I would probably not work again. Then one group discovered I was at loose ends and gave me another three year contract. At the end of that contract, that group split up, and one of the factions hired me for another 3+ years, part time. Then another start-up discovered  I was only working part-time, and hired me for another part-time gig for a year and a half. That contract runs out this month, and they've notified me they want to renew for another year. The other part-timer runs out in April of 2021.

I'll be ready to hang up my hired gun spurs at that point, as much as I like to work.

The irony is that just as I thought things were winding  down, people decided to throw more money at me than I made for most of my career. It's hard to turn that down. But another 18 months is about all I can handle. There are other things to do, while I still can.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, j45nick said:

There are other things to do, while I still can.

Indeed - A lot revolves around just staying healthy, and I'm convinced that reducing all forms of stress to a bare minimum is a key part of the picture.

Avoid airports & play more guitar!

3 hours ago, bobouz said:

Indeed - A lot revolves around just staying healthy, and I'm convinced that reducing all forms of stress to a bare minimum is a key part of the picture.

Avoid airports & play more guitar!

Those are all axioms to live by, and I'm not doing a very good job of it.