Gibson Brands Forums

1931 L-2 folk revival song

tpbiii

I have been wandering through my audio/video recordings from the past decade -- I have a couple thousand of them, many of which I have more or less forgotten.  This was one I came across that I had sort of forgotten from a year or so ago. People come to my house to play my guitars a lot -- I love to record good players and get their take on various instruments.  Well my friend George Hergen is a 60s style folk singer (also Irish) -- which was where my late wife and I started 50+ years ago. George is mostly a solo artist, and he mostly likes 00 Martins, but we have one old Gibson that can give the old Martins a run for their money -- a 1931 Gibson L-2. 

So one day George played a lot of our guitars and sang a lot of folk songs -- he is mostly a solo performer -- but then when he was wrapping up he asked my wife Aina Jo if she could sing one with him.  Well for the past 30 years she was sort of a bluegrass parking lot bass playing high baritone singing engine -- but she knew hundreds of songs and had great harmony skills.  So here is what came out -- George, Aina Jo, and 1931 L-2 Gibson.

Let's pick,

-Tom

• Like 1

Tom, thanks for sharing that great performance with Aina Jo.

That's one of my favorite Ian Tyson songs. Saw Ian and Sylvia perform it back in the mid-1960's when I was at university, and will never forget that.

Those were great times for those of us who loved the "modern" folk music of that era. I still play a lot of those songs.