Gibson Brands Forums

Forward Bowed Neck

Ouzzia

Hello everyone. I'm new on forum and my english is not good enough, i hope you can understand me. I have a 2014 Les Paul Standard MinEtune. Few days ago ı have changed my strings. I was using  Ernie Ball Regular Slinky and i changed them with Super Slinky. After this i have noticed fret buzzing. It was on 3-4-5th frets and 10-11-12-13 but this was not too much buzzing but it's still disturbing me. Yesterday ı went to a luthier. After many checks he said "frets need some restoration (fret crowning i think) or i can change the frets" after this he wanted to check the neck. He released all strings and completely relaxed the truss rod. And he put the ruler on the fretboard, fretboard was looking forward bowed and he said "your guitar's neck is warped, this is a big problem" and after this he did truss rod adjustment and also he added "you can use this guitar with this adjustment but strings height will be high with forward bowed neck or you will hear buzzing". But i was thinking when the truss rod completely relaxed neck will be forward bowed i was thinking this is normal but he said this isn't normal, this is confusing me . I said this to him but he said when the truss rod relaxed, neck at least must be straight . I uploaded a video, in video i pressed first and last frets on low E, this height is normal or high? I also added frets photos please check their condition.  Especcialy can you answer the '''''''"But i was thinking when the truss rod completely relaxed neck will be forward bowed i was thinking this is normal but he said this isn't normal, this is confusing me . I said this to him but he said when the truss rod relaxed, neck at least must be straight ."''''''' question...

Video:  https://streamable.com/xq6zj  

By the way i broke my Low E string 30min ago lol

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-06 at 00.50.53.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-06 at 00.50.54 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-06 at 00.50.54 (1).jpeg

I did as you said. And there is space between string and fret. I think relief is good now. But i' wondering about my question. What  do you think about this?

"""But i was thinking when the truss rod completely relaxed neck will be forward bowed i was thinking this is normal but he said this isn't normal, this is confusing me . I said this to him but he said when the truss rod relaxed, neck at least must be straight ."""

Today ı noticed my les paul doesn't have binding end of frets. I never chanced frets, the guitar have original frets but they don't have binding. Some people say all gibson les pauls have binding end of frets.  I bought this guitar from shop as new. What do you think?

It doesn't look like the 120th anniversary series ever received fret nibs. So you bought old stock from 2014 in the end? I find that pretty remarkable given how old the guitar now is. 

If you want to learn how to inspect and set up your guitar yourself and better understand your instrument, I recommend Erlewine's book How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great! for starters. Of course a professional setup by a competent luthier or guitar tech is highly valuable especially in the beginning.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Thank you for your  answer but I still don't understand, my guitar doesn't have fret nibs and i don't know why. When i searched "Gibson Les Paul" on Google, every les paul have fret nibs. But also I found this topic but I couldn't understand every reply because my english is not very good. I checked quality checklist paper and this guitar was made in 30 January 2014. Can you please answer, Is it normal that this guitar has no fret nibs?  I worry because my friend said "you are the not first owner this guitar and maybe frets are changed,  it's not new".  He says that all every Gibson Les Paul guitars must have fret nibs. Thanks for your help, sorry for bad english.