Gibson Brands Forums

Which dealer has the best prices on Gibson acoustics?

Mr. Paul

We hear this question all the time, here's a bit of an answer ...

I called 4 dealers for a price on a new SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst, a guitar that carries an online advertised price of $5249. This is 20% less than "list" although the list price can only be found by visiting Gibson's website, none of the dealers refer to it.  All quotes included shipping, paid with  credit card.

Name of the dealers and prices quoted:

Music Villa  $5249

Chicago Music Exchange $5249. Offered a 10% discount when it was obvious I wasn't a buyer at the quoted price.

Wildwood Guitars  $4299

Fuller's  $5249.

This surprised me a lot.

• Thanks 1

Wildwood is awesome.  I bought a used birth year Martin nylon from them for my sister to keep her spirits up through chemo last year.  Amazing to work with. They converted the righty to lefty, had it perfect... great price.. just good fellas.

I actually priced a new J45 two Months ago through fullers. They offered me $100 off MAP. I was surprised because they gave me such a good deal on my J50 years back.

Sweetwater for one, still shows the list price.

The last few I bought were from Chicago Music Exchange, The Music Outlet, N Stuff Music, Rainbow Guitars and Bailey Brothers. All 5-star dealers. All great to work with. They always do 40% off list. e.g. J200 Standard list $6,792 - 40 %  = $4,075.20 would be my offer.

In the past I bought out of state or on line to avoid the taxes. I'm not sure if that works anymore. I know it doesn't on EBay. If it does not work, my local dealer would get the offer. They've done it before but they usually lack choice.  Even the former manager at my local GC made the offer of 40% off.

3 hours ago, Holiday Hoser said:

I still would be afraid to buy it with out putting my pecker clamps on it first. But than other than milk I don't buy anything new.

Post of the day at 3:00 a.m. Central time.

Impressive.

Wildwood and CME charge out of state buyers sales tax, Music Villa does not.

The initial phone quote is just a starting point but no way I'm going to consider buying from a dealer that starts off by quoting MAP. I was very surprised that ANY of those dealers quoted MAP as they have all been mentioned as good places to buy Gibsons.

In the past I've chosen to pay CO sales tax (I live in CO) at Wildwood to enjoy hands on access to their incredible inventory, but the option to avoid tax on internet purchases is melting away.

Supposedly as of Jan. 1, 2019 a law went into affect requiring Out of State Sellers of new Gear to collect appropriate State Sales Tax from Buyers.

Over the years I've found Dealers will deal one day & won't the next .. Go figure? I take time & Shop to find who wants to make a deal. Sometimes calling all the Major Online Co's if it's New...

I'm not concerned about buying from reputable Online Major Gear Retailers.. I like Brand new untouched in the Wrapper Gear. Whenever I don't like something I'll exchange it until the right one comes along... 

Most Brick & Mortar Stores seldom have what I'm looking for. When they do they usually have 1 or 2 of whatever that have been played by others. Many times leaving Knicks & scratches...

• Like 1

I also bought my J-45 at Wildwood Mr. Paul.  I worked with a salesperson by the name of Bruce. Very professional and knowledgeable person. I am completely satisfied with the price and customer service from Wildwood. They were upfront and shot me out their best price right away. They sent pictures of my actual guitar before purchase so I could get a good look at it. They called when it was shipped. It was set up the way I asked at no extra charge.

I would buy from Wildwood again in a heart beat!

One of my Band mates buys from Wildwood & is very happy with them. First rate Guitars & Purchse experience..

My Rep at Sweetwater always gives me a better Deal, sometimes significantly better Deal.  Also First Rate Guitars & always xlnt Purchase experience in my experience. They also have their own in House Mod Shop which I've used on a couple Guitars..

Definitely 2 of the best!

14 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

One of my Band mates buys from Wildwood & is very happy with them. First rate Guitars & Purchse experience..

My Rep at Sweetwater always gives me a better Deal, sometimes significantly better Deal.  Also First Rate Guitars & always xlnt Purchase experience in my experience. They also have their own in House Mod Shop which I've used on a couple Guitars..

Definitely 2 of the best!

That has been my expierence with Sweetwater.  Great company