Gibson Brands Forums

j45 1959 adj RI

jefleppard65

Looks worth checking in my opinion. The serial number on these newer guitars will have been on the neck block (owners needs to look in through the soundhole.  

Here is one that sold on reverb recently. Yours looks like the real deal.

https://reverb.com/item/7605765-gibson-montana-1959-j-45-reissue

Edited by Salfromchatham

3 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Looks worth checking in my opinion. The serial number on these newer guitars will have been on a paper oval in the sound hole, and on the neck block (owners needs to look in through the soundhole.  Looks like the oval paper one was removed - but the serial number should still be on the neck block.

thanks, sal. im gonna take a drive.

7 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

I edited my post   i found a similar guitar sold on reverb...  my guess is that sold for $1800-1900 US.  But it looks like the on you are looking at. No paper oval in sound hole.

yeah. must be on the neckblock.  im going to drive out there this week and see it. i dont think the seller knows what they've got.

16 minutes ago, jefleppard65 said:

yeah. must be on the neckblock.  im going to drive out there this week and see it. i dont think the seller knows what they've got.

$2300 is not a giveaway price. It's probably about right.

There has to be a serial number somewhere. Many re-issues have the serial number ink-stamped on the neck block on the inside of the guitar, like the original guitar it is modeled after would have had.

15 minutes ago, j45nick said:

$2300 is not a giveaway price. It's probably about right.

There has to be a serial number somewhere. Many re-issues have the serial number ink-stamped on the neck block on the inside of the guitar, like the original guitar it is modeled after would have had.

thats in canadian funds. would be about 1700US. i thought that was way under value. theres an NOS one at a store near me priced at $3500 cdn.

and yeah thats what i was thinking re: serial number. its prob stamped on the neck block. thanks!

There was a special run of these built for Sweetwater but I am not sure if this is one of those.   If I recall these were distinguished by a soft V neck carve.

I would jump all over a guitar like this  if Bozeman combined the right old and new structural elements.  So the wider Bozeman- nut width rather than the original 1 11/16"  and say a  traditional  maple bridge plate in place of the original laminate  plate (which at the least though might have to be oversized  given the weight of the ADJ bridge) but with a 1959  neck carve and the unscalloped X brace and shorter back braces which gave these guitars their punchy and quick sound.    

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

Unless you're in a one J-45 town, that price would not necessarily be considered insanely good from a private seller. Might just go for less.

The ADJ sound is not for everyone-  make sure you have your ears on when visiting. 

. . . and your nut falls into the realm of what Gibsons can have, coming out of Bozeman. There are cleaner ones, but this one is most likely just fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jefleppard65 said:

thats in canadian funds. would be about 1700US. i thought that was way under value. theres an NOS one at a store near me priced at $3500 cdn.

and yeah thats what i was thinking re: serial number. its prob stamped on the neck block. thanks!

Understood. I did not realize you were talking CDN. That's a very good price.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Here is a question.  The original ADJ saddle bridges weighed about thee times as much as a standard pin bridge.  Has Bozeman re-engineered  them and possibly come up with a lighter version which would not require the oversized stiff laminate plate to support I?

There's no reason they couldn't use a maple bridgeplate with the ADJ. The ADJ hardware is pretty heavy--somewhere I have the numbers, but can't find them right now. I will try to weigh the ADJ hardware later. The bridge itself and the saddle are probably only very slightly heavier than a standard bridge.  I have a full ADJ bridge assembly (less the steel plate spring, which disappeared in the distant past), but do not have a loose conventional bridge and bridgeplate for comparison.

Most of the weight difference is the ADJ hardware, plus the larger thicker bridgeplate.

• Like 1