Gibson Brands Forums

'tis the Season

Cabarone

sounds like a winner!  Do it!  I'm part of an orchestra with a chorale group. (20 pc orchestra, and about 60/70 voices.)  we did the annual Christmas concert yesterday at the city hall auditorium in my home town.   Since I just signed on this fall,  for this show I was in about half of the material.   But it was a blast.  The tunes I played in:

• Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
  • Merry Christmas (a 40s jazz swing tune)
  • Christmas Time Is Here (I even got to do some solo work on this one)
  • We Need A Little Christmas
  • My Christmas Tree (from home alone 2)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

sounds like a winner!  Do it!  I'm part of an orchestra with a chorale group. (20 pc orchestra, and about 60/70 voices.)  we did the annual Christmas concert yesterday at the city hall auditorium in my home town.   Since I just signed on this fall,  for this show I was in about half of the material.   But it was a blast.  The tunes I played in:

• Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
  • Merry Christmas (a 40s jazz swing tune)
  • Christmas Time Is Here (I even got to do some solo work on this one)
  • We Need A Little Christmas
  • My Christmas Tree (from home alone 2)

Sounds like a ton of fun...bravo!

btw, any one fool around with Doug Young's DADGAD Christmas?  It's a pretty cool CD and it comes with charts. 

DADGAD Christmas

I learned The First Noel t a few years ago.  they're fun projects to play with if you like to play in alternate tunings... and DADGAD in general is one that I like a lot.

Edited by kidblast

20 minutes ago, kidblast said:

they're fun projects to play with if you like to play in alternate tunings... and DADGAD in general is one that I like a lot.

DADGAD, hmmm ... apologies for the tangent, but  I've been playing 'rock on' by David Essex in DGDGAD...  there's one line that crosses teh low G that just doesn't sound right, I'll have to try yours.  And then I'll give some time  to one of Doug Young's projects, see if I can add to 'jingle bells' 

Edited by billroy fineman

We do secular Christmas songs on the gig. Our audience is of mixed religions, so we don't want to prefer one over another. We want our music to be inclusive, not exclusive.

So we do songs like The Christmas Song, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bell Rock, Sleigh Ride Let It Snow, Winter Wonderland, etc.

We don't play them before Thanksgiving day. I guess I'm a traditionalist.

Notes

35 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

DADGAD, hmmm ... apologies for the tangent, but  I've been playing 'rock on' by David Essex in DGDGAD...  there's one line that crosses teh low G that just doesn't sound right, I'll have to try yours.  And then I'll give some time  to one of Doug Young's projects, see if I can add to 'jingle bells' 

Jingle Bells is in that book.  The First Noel is nice but it's a bit advanced, some parts do get involved with some finger stretches that can tricky, but  you can get it..