Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Faded 2008 Xray

D Big Daddy M

As some of you may recall from my epic thread "parent to new Les Paul recipient", my son is getting a Les Paul Studio Faded Sunburst 2008 (among others) for Christmas.  I was a little curious how it could be SO much lighter than the "Modern Weight Relief" Les Paul Standard 2016 that he is also getting--so I x-rayed it.  Here is the Xray

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/YGz8IHFjRNuvr1IKI9TAsw.zY25YM8oU5kK2n6MQFMOAM

Here is the "regular" (albeit not as cool) photo of the guitar
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/V8xjcaJ3TmaOH4oVhA80Ew.I2S5DxuK3ed54ze-gAlABf

Guess it is a full chamber weight relief!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marky Forrest said:

As an R.T.(R) (X-ray tech), I love your X-ray! Nice technique.

First try!  We set the xray on "knee".  We were prepared to shoot a bunch of them, but we "nailed it"   We made date of birth 12/25/2008, named it "guitar",  indication was "no complaints, routine physical", etc.  some of the details got edited out of the photo but we had a big time with it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deeman said:

Hope your son enjoys it! It looks great.

The 2008 Studio seems to just scream out "play me".  Although it is in great shape with only some little scratches to the pickguard, it seems the guitar just looks like one that is made to be played and "not made to be looked at".  I have several friends that are professional musicians (who I asked to check it out) and every single one of them has instantly grabbed it with an almost giddy look and started playing it.  When I showed them the Les Paul standard (see previous thread), they gasped at its beauty and did not touch it.  When I showed them this one (2008 Studio) they get a big grin and GRAB it.  I love that difference in the 2 guitars!

This is the previous thread I keep referencing
https://forum.gibson.com/topic/155109-parent-to-new-les-paul-recipient/?tab=comments#comment-2019584

Edited by D Big Daddy M

On 12/10/2019 at 7:27 AM, D Big Daddy M said:

First try!  We set the xray on "knee".  We were prepared to shoot a bunch of them, but we "nailed it"   We made date of birth 12/25/2008, named it "guitar",  indication was "no complaints, routine physical", etc.  some of the details got edited out of the photo but we had a big time with it.

Very nice! I hope you kept it out of your PACS system. 🙂

When the female techs get a diamond ring they always X-ray it to be sure it's real. A real diamond does not show up but a CZ does. Just a friendly tip to you guys that have girl friends who are Techs, not that anyone would try to pawn off a fake.

Edited by Marky Forrest

So the story is that I used to do some work with Gibson (selling them the wood as a teenager which my Grandfather and I (mostly him) cut.)  Living in Nashville I was able to make a few contacts and got him a spectacualr Les Paul Prototype model from the Gibson vault.   Being blessed with many friends, a guy who owed me showed up with the Les Paul studio.  At first I was a bit leery of giving him both but he is a great kid and I thought it was actually perfect--he gets a really nice one to have around and keep and he also gets one that he can take out and bang on without worring about damaging a one of a kind prototype.  I realize the whole thing sounds odd and I really do not have a whole lot of $$ in them.  As mentioned previously (somewhere) it is very interesting how several people that I know who are musicians have reacted when I have shown them.  When they see the Les Paul Standard, they gasp or "ooh and aahhh"  When I show them the studio they GRAB it and start strumming--which is exactly what I envisioned when I thought about the question of giving him BOTH.  I never started out to give him 2 guitars--and certainly not 2 Les Pauls--but that is kind of how it worked out.  I have had literally dozens of hours of entertainment reading about all the Les Pauls and the variations for the last few weeks and even though I do not play (yet) I am now considering getting me one and learning.   It seems (as most of you already know) that it is pretty easy to get interested and fired up about guitars!

Edited by D Big Daddy M
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of my cousins had (from his childhood in the 1970s)  a still new in the box Hondo II H125 A  guitar that is a cheap Korean copy of a Martin D 17 that he offered to my son (his wife was threatening to "take it to the dump".)     The used ones I see on Ebay sell for $20-50.  This one is 40+ years old and BRAND new.  Put new strings on it and checked the setup and it seems fine.  He is outside right now in the back yard with a group of kids, banging away on it.  Fun to watch.

• Like 1