Gibson Brands Forums

The workhorse

j45nick

All in, Nick. We both got lucky and found one, or two in your case. Mine just happens to be a blonde.

Lookin'  at wealth of J's on the Ryman stage tonight. The concert companion to the Ken Burns doc.

p40AmaL.jpg

Edited by jedzep
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jedzep said:

All in, Nick. We both got lucky and found one, or two in your case. Mine just happens to be a blonde.

Lookin'  at wealth of J's on the Ryman stage tonight. The concert companion to the Ken Burns doc.

p40AmaL.jpg

I like Blondes...

They are magnificent acoustics and one of the world wonders. I personally have 4 here - 1953/59/63/10.  Highly different creatures indeed. 

The T.P. episode is a deserved celebration of the round shouldered icon, , , but Tony ! you know Barenberg's 45 has maple back'n'sides, come on. . 

Regarding Russ Barenberg memory comes up with this little story.

A couple of years ago I was about to attend a summer studio jam session. Some weeks before I had heard and been intrigued by a very melodic R.B. instrumental. What I did was to write 3 verses to it in order to bring it to the jam. But before doin' so I contacted Barenberg, showed him the result and asked for permission. He very kindly gave green light and added that his inspiration for the title (to which my theme stayed loyal) had nothing whatsoever to do with my associations. Mattered less - and it was a fun experiment to launch.  And mister R.B. acted like a true gentleman. 

Btw. notice that the Kalamazoo chimney is down in the 45-film piece shown in the start.  The scaffold is not - hope they got it back up since shooting.

30 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

They are magnificent acoustics and one of the world wonders. I personally have 4 here - 1953/59/63/10.  Highly different creatures indeed. 

The T.P. episode is a deserved celebration of the round shouldered icon, , , but Tony ! you know Barenberg's 45 has maple back'n'sides, come on. . 

Regarding Russ Barenberg memory comes up with this little story.

A couple of years ago I was about to attend a summer studio jam session. Some weeks before I had heard and been intrigued by a very melodic R.B. instrumental. What I did was to write 3 verses to it in order to bring it to the jam. But before doin' so I contacted Barenberg, showed him the result and asked for permission. He very kindly gave green light and added that his inspiration for the title (to which my theme stayed loyal) had nothing whatsoever to do with my associations. Mattered less - and it was a fun experiment to launch.  And mister R.B. acted like a true gentleman. 

Btw. notice that the Kalamazoo chimney is down in the 45-film piece shown in the start.  The scaffold is not - hope they got it back up since shooting.

The stack was still down the last time I looked. I'll have to drive by again and see.

2 hours ago, bobouz said:

I've got an '02 J-45 Rosewood that's soooo incredibly dry & woody.  Every time it gets pulled into the rotation, I'm pleasingly struck by it all over again.

Clearly, the J-45 is one of the finest guitar body designs ever conceived.

My Rosewood / ebony is an '03. Still my favorite guitar ever.

16 hours ago, j45nick said:

Tony P on my favorite guitar

J-45 on Acoustic Tuesday

Thanks for flagging this for us! Good work by Tony, as always. Oh, and thanks to Tony for the shout out.

One correction. Tony reads from a Vintage Guitar article suggesting that the early J-45s might have been sunburst J-50s, because they feature multiple top purfling. All of the first year of issue Banners - J-50s, J-45s, Lg-1s, LG-2s, LG-3s, and, of course, SJs had mutliple top (and back purflings). In addition, since the publication of Kalamazoo Gals, I've acquired copies of the original specification sheets for all of the Banners, which confirm my assertion. (Yeah, second edition over due).

11 hours ago, SirNed said:

The stack was still down the last time I looked. I'll have to drive by again and see.

I've visited the building for Kalamazoo Gal-related events twice within past month. The stack has not been reassembled, but the owners are still committed to the renovation plan, which includes restoration of the stack. For a variety of reasons, progress stalled, but will re-start this summer.

6 hours ago, jt said:

I've visited the building for Kalamazoo Gal-related events twice within past month. The stack has not been reassembled, but the owners are still committed to the renovation plan, which includes restoration of the stack. For a variety of reasons, progress stalled, but will re-start this summer.

Encouraging to hear.

Before:

6qgkudO.png

27 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Encouraging to hear.

I agree. I've communicated frequently over the past couple of years with the consortium that owns 225 Parsons Street. I'm optimistic about the future. I'm also really grateful for their embrace of my projects.