Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

NGD..kinda....PRS


saturn
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well after all these years I finally ended up with a PRS. It's a 2005 Santana SE made in Korea, but still a PRS. 

I'm not really celebrating the way I acquired it. Maybe you saw in the "gig" thread that my Les Paul got a broken headstock the night before Thanksgiving. Somehow the bass player apparently knocked it over while it was on the stand. I only saw it after it was on the floor. We were very cramped and he was setting up PA when it happened. I did not blame him and told him it wasn't his fault but he felt really bad anyway. Well last night at rehearsal he brought this PRS in and handed it to me saying it's mine. I protested but he insisted I take it.  Said he hasn't played it in years anyway. He's a personal friend of Paul Smith and runs sound for his band. I'm sure he can get another PRS for  a good price if he really wants. 😎

So I played it at practice and took it home afterward. It actually plays really nice and I love the neck. I was a little surprised that there's no push/pull pots for the pickups. Oh well, the humbuckers sound great. I put new strings on tonight. Have to get used to a floating bridge again.  

Anyway here it is:

uQWyuIZ.jpg

 

Edited by saturn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now I still have to figure out what to do about my Les Paul. So far, the people we've spoken to aren't very interested in trying to fix it.  Saying it will cost almost as much as guitar is worth.  I'm not worried about cosmetics, as long as it can play and  can play and function properly again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, saturn said:

Now I still have to figure out what to do about my Les Paul. So far, the people we've spoken to aren't very interested in trying to fix it.  Saying it will cost almost as much as guitar is worth.  I'm not worried about cosmetics, as long as it can play and  can play and function properly again.

Sorry to hear that happened.  But I'm not sure I understand the estimate with the fix cost.  Isn't this a USA gibson LP?  

who are you having look at this?  how is it broken?  can you show any photos?

A proper neck repair for a snapped headstock without cosmetically hiding the scars would probably be around in the $150/$200 ball park.  Maybe twice that for repairing and cosmetics.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kidblast said:

Sorry to hear that happened.  But I'm not sure I understand the estimate with the fix cost.  Isn't this a USA gibson LP?  

who are you having look at this?  how is it broken?  can you show any photos?

A proper neck repair for a snapped headstock without cosmetically hiding the scars would probably be around in the $150/$200 ball park.  Maybe twice that for repairing and cosmetics.

 

 

I posted some pics of the broken headstock in the "just got in from a gig" thread. They aren't real good. Gene (bass) talked to someone he knows and I talked to a friend who, although not a luthier, is a really high-end cabinet maker who has also built some guitars on the side. I will look around for some other opinions. 

Do you know, do they just glue it or is there  screws/rods put in?

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's nice that he gave you a guitar, i would probably have done the same or offer to fix the one that was broken

 

i saw the pics on the other thread and i dont think it looks that much disastrous. It is a LP studio but like kidblast said it would probably be like $200 and that's not the cost of the guitar

they just glue it, not screws/rods (that i know)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, saturn said:

I posted some pics of the broken headstock in the "just got in from a gig" thread. They aren't real good. Gene (bass) talked to someone he knows and I talked to a friend who, although not a luthier, is a really high-end cabinet maker who has also built some guitars on the side. I will look around for some other opinions. 

Do you know, do they just glue it or is there  screws/rods put in?

Thanks

Saw the photos, and it looks exactly like a break that my son's Epi les paul had. It cost him $170 to fix, and the repair was a Glue/Clamp fix.

BTW.   No cosmetics were fixed, you can see it, but you can't feel it. 

Sometimes the repair techs will drill some holes and put some wood dowels in but I don't believe that is needed here. 

I would look for someone who can do what was done to my kids LP.  It plays just fine, with no issues at all.   I'm sure such a solid repair is 100% doable with yours.  

And it will not be MORE than the cost of the guitar.   That was bad advice.  I'd do it Saturn...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whew, I thought it was your Goldtop but I am still sorry to hear about the breakage. Congrats on the PRS. My band partner in AR has one and loaned it to me last year for a few months. It's a great guitar!

Edited by Tman
Omitted something.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Tman said:

Whew, I thought it was your Goldtop but I am still sorry to hear about the breakage. Congrats on the PRS. My band partner in AR has one and loaned it to me last year for a few months. It's a great guitar!

Yeah I almost brought the Goldtop, but Studio had fresher strings. I like to have 2 guitars at gigs, just in case. But my Kokocaster has messed up electronics and I haven't got that fix yet. Didn't see any sense have 2 LPs there. 

Gonna play the PRS Friday night though.  😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...