Gibson Brands Forums

New ES 339

Casso

Hi all. Just ordered for Christmas a new ES 339, Vintage Sunburst. Very excited! My question is, Anything in particular I need to look out for? I have other guitars, I'm half decent at set ups but I have never had a semi-hollow until now. Many thanks, and all the best for the hols!!

• Like 1

The 339 sets up just like a solid body. You may want to check that all pot mounting nuts are tight.  This is easy enough to do and something to think about with any semi-hollow guitar. Same goes for the input jack mount. I found my 339 to be well enough equipped as far as hardware and electronics so that no upgrades have been necessary. You should have a ball with this.  Good luck !!

Edited by LOSTVENTURE

(Unofficial) NGD!

So, the package arrived today, which was several days earlier than I had anticipated. The guitar is meant to be a Christmas gift from the missus and she said, Well, fine. Put it under the tree (which we just brought home this morning and went through the usual annual torture getting it into the stand and set up to where she can then - because I'm not allowed to take part, because I apparently have little or no artistic savvy with regard to decorating a tree - start loading the ornaments) until the big day. Problem is, I really wanted to check it out in case there were any issues which would require sending it back. I didn't want to wait until Christmas morning and then be disappointed if something was seriously amiss. Plus, God help me, I wanted to see it!! So I waited until she went out shopping.

The package came through UPS. The outer packing was pretty slapdash, lots of tape and not much solid. Inside was a cardboard guitar case and the guitar itself was wrapped in a sort of cloth bag. Was a bit nervous but everything appears to be ok. It is a beautiful little thing!! The Vintage Sunburst - at least to my eyes - is spectacular. I took all the stickers and decals off (she won't notice that) and tuned it and plugged in to my Fender Blues Junior. I have to say that the action was pretty much spot on for where I like it to be. After more playing I may decide to lower it a hair but, otherwise, dead on. I played it for about fifteen minutes and I have to say that it feels very comfortable. It feels like a slightly wider neck than I am used to with my Strats but I rolled through some blues licks and a few jazz turnarounds etc and it felt very comfortable.

So. I don't want to jump the gun but I think I am going to enjoy playing this guitar a lot. So far so good. Fifteen minutes is nowhere long enough, obviously, but I got a good feel from it. Let's say it turns out to be a great buy. Why then, would anyone pay the big bucks for a Gibson version? What am I missing? I am a reasonably adept amateur hacker, as a player. Is there something I don't get about the difference between a laminated body and a full blown mahogany? Why wouldn't I go to the next level and get an Epiphone ES 175 instead of the Gibson equivalent?

Sorry for the long winded story but I am pretty juiced about this guitar!!! And many thanks to the folks gave me tips etc. Soon as I figure how, I will post pics etc.

• Like 1

Congrats!   My pictures are on my google drive so I just copy the link and paste here.

I agree with your assessment on spending big bucks on a Gibson as I have reached the same conclusion recently myself all tho if a CS-336 were to appear at my doorstep I would not be disappointed.  Having owned and still own Gibson's, yeah there is a difference but is that difference worth and extra 2 or 3 grand?  

The neck is more of a 50's style that's why its a bit wider, you'll get used to it   Mine which is a year old now was also very playable right out of the box.  Where did you order from?

I ordered through Amazon but the actual supplier was Michael R Whiting, who is, apparently, a new supplier. As I mentioned, I was not impressed with the outer box. I have ordered guitars before from Amazon and the packing was much more solid and secure. But that said, the inner packing, the actual guitar box etc was pretty decent.

great! so pictures until Christmas then?

As for your question that depends on each person, there are differences some think its not worth the money, some think it does. i think if you have the cash/can afford it and you want a Gibson go for it. In my case i have too many guitars now but if i didnt i  would probably get an Epi if i really liked it, aint nothing wrong with that, i would really like a green or white LP 🤪and a ES335, so i might check some Epis next week!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Hope everyone had a great Christmas etc!! Still figuring how to get pics of the new baby onto the site here but it is a standard ES 339 VS. And I love it! I mean, I love it. It is very comfortable. I have a JSM 20 which is the Ibanez John Scofield full size semi-hollow, which also sounds very good BUT not noticeable better than this little machine. And the Ibanez is so much bigger and heavier, and was twice as expensive. I'm sure the Gibson 339 is a nice instrument but this here is going to be more than sufficient for a good while. Anyway, hope everybody got what they wanted on the day also! Cheers.

• Like 1