Gibson Brands Forums

to loop or not to loop ...

Karloff

hey guys, I have an Orange AD30HTC head that I use with 2 Orange 1x12 cabs. the amp has great tone but doesnt have either reverb or an FX loop. 

I love a touch of reverb, and I've become fond of a little delay for some tunes.  and it's just not the same running reverb or especially the delay into the front of the amp. 

Have any of you guys had any experience having a loop added to a head ?

I agree with the statement  " it's just not the same running reverb or especially the delay into the front of the amp.  "  A shame they didn't think to add that to the design.  Most amps have these now.

I do know it can be done.  A few of the guitar playin types that I know have done what you're asking.  The mod was done by the same guy, (since we all tend to flock together, so the word of mouth reference kicked in).  They seemed to be relatively happy with it.  I don't know how involved it is, but I know a guy I could ask.

29 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I agree with the statement  " it's just not the same running reverb or especially the delay into the front of the amp.  "  A shame they didn't think to add that to the design.  Most amps have these now.

I do know it can be done.  A few of the guitar playin types that I know have done what you're asking.  The mod was done by the same guy, (since we all tend to flock together, so the word of mouth reference kicked in).  They seemed to be relatively happy with it.  I don't know how involved it is, but I know a guy I could ask.

thanks Ray.  theres a guy about 40 mins from me that I've spoken to about possibly doing it.  just haven't decided whether to alter the AD30HTC or sell it & buy an Orange that has a loop. I've been checking out TH30's & Rockerverb 50's. 

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

I'd be looking at the same options,  all my current tube amps have fx loops.   What would he charge for that modification?

May be better to off it and just get one that's already there.

somewhere in the 240 range. and I'm leaning towards what you said. the ad30 is really 2 amps inside, he would have to either add two separate loop jacks (4 really) , or rig up a foot switching loop system between the two. meanwhile you're drilling into the chassis ... all that crap. 

Edited by Karloff

41 minutes ago, Karloff said:

somewhere in the 240 range. and I'm leaning towards what you said. the ad30 is really 2 amps inside, he would have to either add two separate loop jacks (4 really) , or rig up a foot switching loop system between the two. meanwhile you're drilling into the chassis ... all that crap. 

OY! Sounds messy, not sure I'd be going to that length either.   That Said, I'll be looking forward to the New Amp Day post!   And remember, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission, right?

• Haha 1

I think trying to add a loop to an amp that doesn't have one seem like more trouble than it's worth. Just my opinion. 

Does make you think "why can't they just add Reverb to every amp? If someone doesn't want it they can just turn it all the way down. I had a Roland Blues Cube and same thing. Amazing sounding amp, but totally dry. Real good if you're playing solo to Too Much Time On My Hands or the mid part solo in Money.  But not much else. :rolleyes:  

• Like 1

The two reasons why I have a TH30 on top of my two PPC112's is the lack of fx loop of the AD and the Clean Channel of the TH. Although I must say that I also absolutely love the AD on clean settings, it's a killer amp. 

Now, because I still want an OR50 or the Custom Shop 50 if possible I already found a solution to their no loop problem.

https://www.badcatamps.com/shop/parts-and-accessories/unleash-v2-attenuator-re-amplifier/

Attenuator wich comes really handy and you also get an external fx loop, the only problem is the price. But maybe there are other devices that do the same for a more affordable price. 

• Like 1

Jeezzzzz.....

After a quick look on the net it looks like there may be not as many of those things as I thought.

I found the Fryette Power Station but compared to this one the bad cat seems to be the affordable option.

Good grief, for that money you could buy a new amp!!

https://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. C.O. Jones said:

The two reasons why I have a TH30 on top of my two PPC112's is the lack of fx loop of the AD and the Clean Channel of the TH. Although I must say that I also absolutely love the AD on clean settings, it's a killer amp. 

Now, because I still want an OR50 or the Custom Shop 50 if possible I already found a solution to their no loop problem.

https://www.badcatamps.com/shop/parts-and-accessories/unleash-v2-attenuator-re-amplifier/

Attenuator wich comes really handy and you also get an external fx loop, the only problem is the price. But maybe there are other devices that do the same for a more affordable price. 

CO, I've got the 2 1x12 orange cabs as well. what kind of music do u typ. play ? I'm blues, blues rock, southern rock.  all the YouTube vids for the TH30 have the gain cranked. I'm not a high gain guy. 

Well it's more or less what I play.

And it does all of it really good. At least to my ears I really enjoy the overdrive for Allman stuff. It has lot's of gain but I wouldn't choose it for modern metal. 

The clean channel is absolute killer once you turn it up to overdrive, but as you can imagine it gets LOUD. 

The dirt channel is also very good, and it even sounds good at lower volumes, wich is a tad more problematic with an AD. 

But there is one little probem wich is the lack of 3 band eq, you have a shape knob instead. 

Perfect for me but lots of people dislike this feature.

Best thing is probably to try one. 

One of the better videos out there:

• Like 1

I know you are trying to avoid running Reverb in the front of your amp. But, when I had my Blues Cube I got a Zoom MS70 CDR for that purpose. It actually does a great job and has many more functions than just Reverb. I mainly use it for Chorus now and built-in Tuner. It's very versatile and does about 100 things. My problem is that I'm too lame to figure out how to set it without the need to bend down and scroll through all the Settings at a gig. That's why I just use it for Chorus and Tuner now, but if you take the time to learn, it can do a lot more.

And again the Reverb sounds are really good.  Much more practical solution IMO.    

• Like 1