Gibson Brands Forums

Is there a list of 1958 Flying V serial numbers anywhere?

V-Fanboy

Hello . . .

I have a mystery Korina V here and the more I find out, the more I think that it just COULD be a real 1958. This is DEFINITELY NOT an Epiphone. The neck heel-to-body construction (rear) is exactly like all the '58 V's I've seen, as is the long tenon. It's hard to find pictures of those details but Elderly Music has some, which you can see at this URL:

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-5627.htm

The neck is Korina also, and the headstock is three pieces (strips on the sides). Gibson logo and TRC are gone. All the electronics and the tuners have been changed out for newer parts, but the tailpiece, pickguard and input surround plate could be original. The body is in remarkable shape, with quite square edges and very few dings or scratches, and no finish-checking to speak of. It's hard to imagine that it's over 50 years old, but most of the details are correct! Only one difference -- the routing (for pickups and electronics) is somewhat different than the Elderly photos.

The serial number is stamped on, slightly crooked like all the '58s I've seen pictures of, and it is 8 6234. Is there any way to find out if this serial number could be correct?

It has some checking on the body, and it may also have been refinished. I don't think it can be a reissue, as I did a serial number search on guitardaterproject.org and they said it was made in 1958 in Kalamazoo. If you want to double-check that, you have to use the "Vintage Panel". I doubt that Gibson would have duplicated their own serial number on a reissue, would they?

Is that your '59? If so, I wonder if you could upload a pic of the control cavity routing. It looks different than mine, and both are different than the one in the Elderly photos.

How do you upload pictures within your message like that?

Thanks! I'll try that the next time I need to upload photos.

By the way, I have re-posted my original question under the topic "Could this be a real 1958 V?" on the forum called "Explorers, Firebirds, Flying V's, and other Gibson Solidbody Guitars". Lots more information has come up over there.

Archived