Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GuitarGene

Is my Gibson REALLY a Gibson

Recommended Posts

I purchased a 2019 Dot in Antique Faded Cherry . I decided to get a studio ES-335 for venues where I wouldn't want to take the more expensive Dot, so I just purchased a 2019 ES-335 studio in ebony.

I got the guitar in the post yesterday, bought it from an Irish Gibson dealer.

These two guitars are supposed to have the same frets and necks etc but to me the studio seems very different. There are a few things:

1) The bridge on the two guitars is different. The Studio one is TonePro AVR-II and has Nylon washers on the adjusters. The Dot one has no washers and the saddles look more robust. I replaced the Studio's bridge with a roller one anyway.

2) The fret wire used is spec'd the same for both guitars  but the frets on the Studio look to be not as 'jumbo'.

3) the Dot's bridge height adjusters looks to screw directly into the center block whereas the Studio's screws into bridge pins. I presume the Dot's are screwed into bridge pins but it LOOKS like the height adjusters screw into wood.

4) The screw that holds the pickup selector switch in place is different on both guitars. The Dot's has fine indents on the thumbscrew nut and the Studio's are coarse, see photo.

5) The paint finish on the neck at the socket joint on the 6th string side is poor on the Studio and could have done with another bit of spray finish.

6) The Dot's label is red and dated 2019 and Memphis and the Studio's is orange with no date and Nashville. 

7) The Dot's case is brown with 4 catches and the Studio's is black with only 3 catches made by TKL.

So, what do you reckon is all as it should be?

I can only upload a small selection of photo unfortunately but may add them in reply to this so you can see, I will try that.

 

 

 

 

DSCF4255.jpg

Edited by GuitarGene
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could remove the pickups and see if they have stickers on their backs - that would help to verify it's authenticity. 

The bridge on the Studio isn't the same as in Gibson's specs, but those things can change.  Those kinds of inserts are a new way Gibson does some of the abr-1 type bridges, so that's not necessarily a problem.

The frets ought to be Medium Jumbo's on both guitars - according to the specs - but I suppose that the studio could be different.  The Dot has had Medium Jumbo's for a long time.

The best way to have the guys on here check it out is to post a bunch of photos and then we can visually check the usual stuff.  You need to use a photo hosting site or facebook or somewhere else to host the photos and then link to them here so they'll show up here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, thanks.  Ah, I think it is ok. I just set it up with Dean Markley 10-52's and used the top wrap technique and it is playing and feeling good to play now with the roller bridge, just have to set the pickup heights now.

I have to say this ES studio was not well set up out of the case at all and it took a lot of adjustment to get right. The roller bridge is supposed to help reduce string breakage and they don't cut my hands. The original spec saddles tend to cut me sometimes! 🙂

I got it in a long standing Gibson dealer so I doubt if it hooky.

Here is link to photos.     http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/usaaf14/library/2019 Gibson ES-335 Studio in Ebony

Thanks.

Edited by GuitarGene
adding photo link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like straight into centre block. My 2015 ES-339 is the same. Though a threaded insert would provide a little more support, its perfectly stable without it. 

DSCF4243.jpg

Edited by merciful-evans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DrumAnd Stage:      I get my hardware and pickups from here                      https://www.axetec.co.uk/       

Keith is his name.

They are very good for guitar parts, electronics etc and good value. The Irongear pickups are very good for the money, VERY good and great value.

I have purchased several cheap guitars and modded them with new pickups and pots/wiring/locking tuners/roller saddles etc and for not too much money and with some fret dressing and setups they play and sound as good as anything expensive.

Here is link to the pickups                 http://www.irongear.co.uk/

I was gigging a Tokai ES-73 last night and I have to say it is bloody fantastic,  a China made one in sunburst. I think it actually feels better in the hands than the Gibson Studio. I have D'Addario EXL 125-10P        9-46's  on it. Strange thing is to get the same feel on the Gibson Studio I had to go with Dean Markley  LTHB 10-52'S but is is top wrapped though. I might try the Gibson Studio at my performance tonight. The Tokai arrived about two weeks ago damaged in the post. The shop on REVERB I purchased it from shipped it in it's own little cardboard sleeve with gaffa tape (duct) round it, so it had no chance. Wee chip on the headstock but otherwise seems ok.  I put locking tuners on it and did a setup. I have to say I will leave the pickups stock and pots etc as it sounded really organic and vintage sounding last night. First time I have performed Crossroads where it sounds right, just doesn't with a solid body I think.

I will try to put up some photos of the modded studio later.

 

Thanks, E

 

Edited by GuitarGene
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

DSCF4243.jpg

Ah, I'd say it would be best to adjust any height changes on the bridge with the strings loosed off here to take the pressure off the threads in the wood. Otherwise you could be in trouble. Has anyone ever had problems like that on their ES-335, threads stripping in the wood due to adjustment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 4:52 PM, GuitarGene said:

Ah, I'd say it would be best to adjust any height changes on the bridge with the strings loosed off here to take the pressure off the threads in the wood. Otherwise you could be in trouble. Has anyone ever had problems like that on their ES-335, threads stripping in the wood due to adjustment?

Ah, I see now thumbscrew is all that adjusts up or down on the post. The actual screw that goes into the centerblock does not. So, safe enough and it will never move. 🙂 Good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 1:56 PM, GuitarGene said:

I purchased a 2019 Dot in Antique Faded Cherry . I decided to get a studio ES-335 for venues where I wouldn't want to take the more expensive Dot, so I just purchased a 2019 ES-335 studio in ebony.

I got the guitar in the post yesterday, bought it from an Irish Gibson dealer.

These two guitars are supposed to have the same frets and necks etc but to me the studio seems very different. There are a few things:

1) The bridge on the two guitars is different. The Studio one is TonePro AVR-II and has Nylon washers on the adjusters. The Dot one has no washers and the saddles look more robust. I replaced the Studio's bridge with a roller one anyway.

2) The fret wire used is spec'd the same for both guitars  but the frets on the Studio look to be not as 'jumbo'.

3) the Dot's bridge height adjusters looks to screw directly into the center block whereas the Studio's screws into bridge pins. I presume the Dot's are screwed into bridge pins but it LOOKS like the height adjusters screw into wood.

4) The screw that holds the pickup selector switch in place is different on both guitars. The Dot's has fine indents on the thumbscrew nut and the Studio's are coarse, see photo.

5) The paint finish on the neck at the socket joint on the 6th string side is poor on the Studio and could have done with another bit of spray finish.

6) The Dot's label is red and dated 2019 and Memphis and the Studio's is orange with no date and Nashville. 

7) The Dot's case is brown with 4 catches and the Studio's is black with only 3 catches made by TKL.

So, what do you reckon is all as it should be?

I can only upload a small selection of photo unfortunately but may add them in reply to this so you can see, I will try that.

 

 

 

 

DSCF4255.jpg

Just noticed, the bridge that was fitted to this guitar when purchased new a few weeks ago is not an ABR-1 as stated in the spec. I think it is a Nashville with white plastic washers on the intonation screws. According to the spec it is supposed to be an ABR-1 I think. Here is a link about bridge types https://faberusa.com/what-is-the-difference-between-the-different-bridge-types/

My ES-335 Studio has the bridge posts screwed into a metal threaded bush that is mounted in the centerblock. I according to the info found at the link above this is a NASHVILLE bridge not an ABR-1.

Strange.............................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that these  thing can't be faked but does it have a orange Gibson sticker in the upper F hole. Did you check the serial number with Gibson themselves? Its an ES so taking the pots out is a chore with no control cavity cover, but like BBP said look at the pups. People can buy aftermarket parts and stuff on ebay and Reverb all day long now.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Not that these  thing can't be faked but does it have a orange Gibson sticker in the upper F hole. Did you check the serial number with Gibson themselves? Its an ES so taking the pots out is a chore with no control cavity cover, but like BBP said look at the pups. People can buy aftermarket parts and stuff on ebay and Reverb all day long now.

Yes it has the sticker and came with the setup photo and Cert. I am emailing Gibson now. I bought from a main dealer in Dublin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GuitarGene said:

Yes it has the sticker and came with the setup photo and Cert. I am emailing Gibson now. I bought from a main dealer in Dublin.

If you got it from a reputable dealer in Dublin I would think its real. Gibson changes and doesn't do anything consistent  even in the same year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you got it from a reputable dealer in Dublin I would think its real. Gibson changes and doesn't do anything consistent  even in the same year. 

I'm sure it is fine but all the shops state it has an ABR bridge but on one online store I think I can see the little white plastic washers on the intonation screws just like mine. I will know for sure when they reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an observation.  I'm wondering if what you have is an indication of the overall quality suffering from the move from Memphis to Nashville.  I have a 2016 Studio and the quality is excellent.  The lesser cost is not due to any shortcuts in quality and construction.  In fact, it is probably a bigger bang for the buck that the more expensive models. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...