Gibson Brands Forums

NGD, not the J45 but....ha ha...

BluesKing777

Ahhh WHAT a beauty!! I am so envious. Back in 2004 my local guitar store had a 2002 J50 which was absolutely sensational. I desperately wanted it but didn't have enough money, I haggled, offered trades, everything, but no dice. I've often thought about that guitar and wondered what happened to it...maybe it ended up being taken to Australia and pawned...

That aside, what a gorgeous guitar that is...would love to hear it!

Yep, And I got it!

Drizzly Monday morn 8.30am here...started work at about 7am and the computer that I hoped would konk it...is going beautifully. The other day it wouldn't start and I ....got tired of playing my guitar while the software techs did a fix....yawn and a long weight....but let us hope it sinks TODAY. 

And I wonder what I would be doing?😁

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Humidity is currently 60% but the sun will come through lunchtime because it is........Monday. And the humidity will drop.

I have no idea how to 'hack' anything, I'm just driving the car, with no clue how to fix it.

Hey, I think I forgot a photo, probably one of the best:

gRqBDHjh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Here is the shop photo I mentioned - were they really selling SELLING it?

I mean it takes some imagination.

And for Nick's earlier question, the label says "J50". That's all. And how tough was it looking at the guitar and not playing it? Phew.

h25VTXlh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

1 hour ago, jedzep said:

That is some good writing, JZ! Good copy! (with Texan accent).

One comes in and another flies the coop. It could be a hard guitar to 'place' with that nut, a bit ugly for a girl maybe and a young boy won't really want it unless Jedzep 'lends' it to him permanently to 'learn on'?

Or Dad buys it for them for Xmas? Could get left on the front grass with the other broken toys.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Went to the music room to play the J at lunchtime and I just knew I shouldn’t touch the pickup battery to see if a new battery could help it work, but I did! Had to loosen the poor old strings thinking these won’t get back up. After some hard work, I got the battery of the neckblock battery clamp and lifted it to the soundhole. Took the battery off the connectors and the contacts stayed on the battery! Melded to it good and proper. Rats.

Very gently tightened the strings back up but all the squawking and screeching made me back out around about D......and the G is complaining. I think it could be a banjo string. So I couldn’t keep it in tune to play a few songs, and went back to work after lunch a little bit disappointed.

Not to give up, before dinner I had a hard word with the guitar and tuned it and persisted...ok, but the battery lead is flapping around.

Good news - I found my 2 spare Oasis humidifiers and one is now in the soundhole of the J50. Awful weather coming up here.....100, 110 all that heat.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Haha! I grimace at your description of the string squawking.  You could just leave them off while the box hydrates. I'd worry about cracks with string tension as it acclimates.

I freekin' love that LG3!

Yes, the M20 has a narrow market, but a sweet little couch player with a unique ring. OK for me with a capo on the second. I LOVE the 22 yr old Martin 12 fret 00015S I bought to fill in the hog slot, and have the original owner of the Guild begging me to sell back to him when his funds reboot in late Jan., so I'm in a good guitar place.

Don't celebrate ANY holidays here, just days off from work, but hope all you pickers enjoy your Christmas and buy too many guitars in the new year.

QErFb2t.jpg

Edited by jedzep

15 hours ago, Jinder said:

Back in 2004 my local guitar store had a 2002 J50 which was absolutely sensational. I desperately wanted it but didn't have enough money, I haggled, offered trades, everything, but no dice. I've often thought about that guitar and wondered what happened to it...maybe it ended up being taken to Australia and pawned...

2002 must have been a very good year!  My '02 J-45 Rosewood has an amazingly dry & resonant tone that sounds like something from a much earlier decade.  But as has already been mentioned here, there were lots of good things happening at Gibson in the early 2000s.

Interestingly, I've found very significant variations in neck profiles from that era - regardless of what the specs say.  I like narrower neck profiles, and my '00 J-100xtra as well as the '02 J-45 Rosewood both have a 1-11/16" nut width, along with a rather slim & fast taper all the way up the neck - perfect for me.  However, back in '01, I bought a new J-50 that I knocked me out in every way - except for it's fatter neck profile.  I thought I could learn to live with it, but couldn't & off it went - luckily to be replaced by the '02 J-45 Rosewood.  I also bought a new '01 J-150 with a slightly wider neck, and it eventually went bye-bye as well.  Yup, I'm a slow learner.

1999 was the transition year when the model lineup was revamped, with an eye towards more accurately capturing the specs of many original Gibson classics.  Imho, any Montana Gibson from 1999 into the early-to-mid 2000s is worth a serious look.   

Ha, a friend said the only new thing he liked about a guitar were strings!

I am a bit the same, depends, but playing my 2005 Dove and this 2002 J50 at the shop....most people would pronounce them.  I mean, they don’t end up at a pawn shop because they have been loved.... but I heard a ‘something old’ in both guitars in the short time I played them - enough to buy before someone else got them. But the Dove has come up with humidification and new strings and it is fabulous! I am confident the J will be too, but it needs more.

And Jedzep, the luthier’s fave guitar is my LG3 above. But a luthier/tech’s reasons are different than ours - probably likes the binding or the bridgeplate or the wood. 

BluesKing777.

8 hours ago, ratherbwalkn said:

Nice find enjoy! 

Thanks ratherbwalkn!

After things calmed down late last night, I sat on the chair in front of the TV (sound off) and had a play of the J50. Really nice - I may have worn some rust off the strings.

I don't understand the mindset of leaving those strings on at the shop - they are saving coins but losing money...my opinion.

The guitar has only been at the shop for a couple of months, so the previous owner, I think,has left the strings on possibly since new...and the battery, which has melted.

Weird. But things happen and the guitar has sat on a stand for years, I guess.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Oh, you'll snap that E turning it into a G.  Go slack and twist the E to F then proceed the rest of the way to open F in the G shape. Scrape the salami and cheese off first.

Don't you have a stash of old strings to slap on 'til you get some time?

43 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Oh, you'll snap that E turning it into a G.  Go slack and twist the E to F then proceed the rest of the way to open F in the G shape. Scrape the salami and cheese off first.

Don't you have a stash of old strings to slap on 'til you get some time?

An old guy I worked for years ago use to say: "Paper we have plenty, money not enough!

I have plenty of strings....plenty of guitars.....😏

I am starting to be a bit scared of taking the bridge pins out and looking in those little neglected holes. And having a good look at the frets. And a good look at the nut and saddle. And a good look at the tuners, Big E stiff.

I will use my gritty Blue Murano glass bottleneck and it may just move some more rust and gunk off those strings. If they don't break.😥 Open low F then.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777