Gibson Brands Forums

Nicknames.

Navy Vet.

Whether  being in the Navy or undergrad school or band mates I have known a lot of folks that had nicknames. Some folks I knew. Marcus “Catfish” Campbell,  Johnny  “RC Cola” Lewis, Anthony “The Schonz” Scaindra,- a damn fine drummer,  David “The Nose” Abrahamowitz- one hell of a keyboard player, Ernie “Highpockets” Fisher.  Connie “Crawdaddy” Evens,  Sinclair “ Bugeyes” Vandergraff.  And then there was me, “ Obla”, “King Daddy”, “ JR” and “Dead Hands”.  Anybody have a nickname in a band. 

• Like 1

It's funny, but I go by my nickname in every other facet of life, except for the band. 

The given name is John Sparkman, but after years of service in the Army, that turned into the nickname Sparky. 
(Sometimes, Spark, Sparkinator, or Sparquelito.)

But in general, everyone calls me Sparky. 
Though the wife calls me Spark, as a rule. 

In the band, everyone calls me John for some reason. 

Not sure why. 

😐

• Like 3

Well, I'm not in a band but I was named after my dad. The only difference was he's Sr. and I'm Jr. So I was named Floyd Hanslip after him. My mom hated it and refused to call me Floyd so nicknamed me Butch from the day I was born.  I've been Butch ever since. In fact not very many people know my real name. 

• Like 2

I did 4 in the Navy and if being called Cowboy was all the USMC could muster that was pretty light. I remember my Company Commanders as we called them in boot, and being called lots of stuff I am sure I can not say here.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 3

my last name is Pelkey,  my adoring friends call me Pelican.

The other guitar/bass player I've been working with forever is known as Buffalo Ed.

Another friend who's name is John, yet we call him Reggie.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Karloff said:

my ex-wife had/has a few names for me. bitter, vindictive, silly girl that she is.  you know how those New England chicks are. right Ray ?

Oy!   The stories I could tell.   I got lucky, and some how have managed to not screw it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had a few.  I was always skinny so in college they called me Stickman cause I was skinny and played on the golf team.  I was also known as Slim in a band I was in out in Boston area for awhile.  My old drummer (now deceased) was Richard "Tubs" Castillo.  My old bass player (also deceased) was Billy "The Geeze" DeWees cause he once played in a band known as the Geezers.  My recent bass player's name was Dan and he wanted to be known as "Diamond Dan" but no one called him that cause he wasn't that sharp.  My golfing buddies around Chicago used to call me "Flatstick" cause I was a good putter.

A good friend of mine has a brother in law that was always known as Skip.  He worked at a car dealership and I saw a car on the lot I was interested in so went in and asked if Skip was there.  They looked at me like I was crazy.  I said "You know Skip, Skip Crutchfield".  They said "oh you mean Roy" which was his real name.  Not sure any one in his family even knew his real name was Roy.

• Like 2

Very cool hearing about all y'all's nicknames! I've been "G Mac the Heart Attack" for the past few years...that is, until I had a heart attack. Now, it's just "G Mac" here on the forum. When I was a youngster they called me "Flash McNasty" for awhile. They called me "Thumper" at a music store where I used to teach...the studios were upstairs from the store and I was always stomping on the floor to help my students keep time. Like most of the rest of you, I've had some monikers that I cannot mention here...

Edited by G Mac
  • Like 2

Well. Jay is already a nickname for John. No one calls me John except banks, doctors etc. But somewhere along the way I almost always end up being Jay Bird. 

In my currant band, when I first met them the original singer's name was also Jay. So they called him Jay me Jay D or JD to not mix us up.  It stuck with them and that's the only place I'm called JD. My wife hates it. 

In my other acoustic/electric band, my mates Mark and Steve go by Quinny and Beef. I don't call Steve Beef so much cause that goes back to High School for him. But you can imagine why he's called that. And if you hang around just a little bit it won't be long before you see. [scared] 

• Like 1

My sister's business partner called me "Notes".

When I first got on-line, before the web, I joined a usenet/newsgroup. There was already a Robert Norton, Bob Norton and Bobby Norton (who knew that name would be so popular with sax players). So I too the "Notes" to differentiate myself from the other "imposters" ;)

It stuck on-line and when I started my Band-in-a-Box aftermarket style/song business, I wanted the usenet people to know it was me, so I kept it. Now it's my on-line nickname. Nobody off-line calls me "Notes" but a lot of on-line people do.

Notes

• Like 2

billroy fineman came in two parts.  billroy happened naturally, my first name is bill, my last is roy...(the guy w/ 2 first names) and all my buds naturally called me billroy.  15 yrs later i was living in Mali, W Africa (as part of the peace corps - a volunteer organization focused in 3rd world countries).  I lived in a village (in a mud hut, no running water or electricity) about 2 hours away from a main city where volunteers local to the area shared a house.  I was there on business one day early in my tenure, was on my way out back to my village when a group of other folks came in to celebrate one of their birthdays...  long story short, I stayed to celebrate with them, they all got to saying 'that billroy he sure is a fine man for staying'...  which evolved to 'billroy fineman'. 

• Like 2

Just to have fun with this topic, and hoping no offense is taken by anyone, figured I'd put down my thoughts about everyone's screen name..  Again no offense meant to anyone, and wondering - does anyone have any (non offensive) impressions of their own of the different screen names?

• Navy vet - a navy vet
  • O1GT eibach: The Russian guy from Rocky
  • Sparquelito: Someone fun in a fun band
  • Retired: Frankenstine
  • Old Cowboy: Texas, bronco rider
  • Sgt Pepper: A slapstick sgt, maybe named pepper
  • Jaxon50: Someone slick
  • Merciful evans: A decider of big things, but he's merciful
  • Kidblast: Boston verson of Kid Rock
  • Karloff: Frankenstine
  • Twang gang: someone in a band with a tele
  • Tman: someone with the first name T
  • Gmac: : MC GMAC
  • Saturn: The Jetsons
  • Larsongs:  Someone who produces comforting music
  • Notes Norton: Someone who is proficient on a piano, probably in jazz
  • billroy fineman: Someone really cool, and fine
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

Just to have fun with this topic, and hoping no offense is taken by anyone, figured I'd put down my thoughts about everyone's screen name..  Again no offense meant to anyone, and wondering - does anyone have any (non offensive) impressions of their own of the different screen names?<...snip...?

• Notes Norton: Someone who is proficient on a piano, probably in jazz<...>

I wish! Actually I'm very proficient on saxophone and wind synthesizer, less so on flute, guitar, bass and drums, and the piano is the one I'm least proficient at.

But I like the image!!!!

Notes

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I wish! Actually I'm very proficient on saxophone and wind synthesizer, less so on flute, guitar, bass and drums, and the piano is the one I'm least proficient at.

But I like the image!!!!

Notes

I play wind synthesizer after I eat a lot of beans, but I can't find "c" above middle "c" with any consistency...

• Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:56 AM, billroy fineman said:

Just to have fun with this topic, and hoping no offense is taken by anyone, figured I'd put down my thoughts about everyone's screen name..  Again no offense meant to anyone, and wondering - does anyone have any (non offensive) impressions of their own of the different screen names?

• Navy vet - a navy vet
  • O1GT eibach: The Russian guy from Rocky
  • Sparquelito: Someone fun in a fun band
  • Retired: Frankenstine
  • Old Cowboy: Texas, bronco rider
  • Sgt Pepper: A slapstick sgt, maybe named pepper
  • Jaxon50: Someone slick
  • Merciful evans: A decider of big things, but he's merciful
  • Kidblast: Boston verson of Kid Rock
  • Karloff: Frankenstine
  • Twang gang: someone in a band with a tele
  • Tman: someone with the first name T
  • Gmac: : MC GMAC
  • Saturn: The Jetsons
  • Larsongs:  Someone who produces comforting music
  • Notes Norton: Someone who is proficient on a piano, probably in jazz
  • billroy fineman: Someone really cool, and fine

I was a Navy guy too. I just like The Beatles so Pepper it is. Couldn't believe it was still available. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1