Gibson Brands Forums

65 Dove part 2

JuanCarlosVejar

One really hears what the t-o-m is about after he tunes down at 5:35 and plays slower chords. There's an almost amplified metallic ring, which gives the guitar its specific  depth & soul.  

Seems it still has the  old strings and that doesn't hurt a bit. Wait till we  get a real recording  - perhaps in a blend with other instruments. Precious things ahead.

Look forward to follow these fliers.    

Great - love followups on stories like this. Thanks  JCV  ! 

Those divots in the fingerboard remind me of that time I tried to play golf.   I thought the wear on my old LG1 was embarrassing - it was nothing compared to this one.  No doubt this guitar was played. Certainly doesn't need a Tone-Rite !  

Edited by fortyearspickn

Those nice fat 1960s frets will be easy to dress,  the question is whether they'll have to be removed to deal with the divots in the rosewood. 

My question is -  How can the pick guard look brand new with all the wear throughout the guitar, especially where the spruce is worn away just below it? 

And,  what's with that faded, eery photograph of a child on the headstock?  Would it be bad juju to remove it?  

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Those nice fat 1960s frets will be easy to dress,  the question is whether they'll have to be removed to deal with the divots in the rosewood. 

My question is -  How can the pick guard look brand new with all the wear throughout the guitar, especially where the spruce is worn away just below it? 

And,  what's with that faded, eery photograph of a child on the headstock?  Would it be bad juju to remove it?  

My question too. Mine is a 2007, & most of the flowers on the guard are long gone!

I’m loving these vids though. Very, very interesting.

I am so in love with this guitar. It just seems so open and dry and filled with breeze and soul. He is such a lucky man to own it. I hope he has the repairs done by a Dan Erlewine or similar who can make it solid but keep that otherworldly tone.

23 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Definitely bad juju to remove it. Somebody put it there for a reason.

The 1950 J-45 I bought earlier this year still has a tiny dealer decal on the back near the neck heel, as well as a small dealer label inside: Dusi Music Shoppe, Youngstown, Ohio.

My first instinct was to remove them. But they had been on the guitar since 1950, and the owner had never removed them. 

So I left them.

7 hours ago, j45nick said:

Definitely bad juju to remove it. Somebody put it there for a reason.

The 1950 J-45 I bought earlier this year still has a tiny dealer decal on the back near the neck heel, as well as a small dealer label inside: Dusi Music Shoppe, Youngstown, Ohio.

My first instinct was to remove them. But they had been on the guitar since 1950, and the owner had never removed them. 

So I left them.

I understand and like your angle on this. However this particular case would provide me with a dilemma. A babyface once dear and precious for a dad or uncle. Not sure. . 

1 hour ago, billroy fineman said:

Ok, maybe i missed it in the thread, but what makes this person's review so wonderful.  Is he an established player or some sort of role that makes him an authoritative critic?  Or is it just a cool guitar?  Not sure I'm getting it?

If you go back and read the 'Part I'  predecessor to  this thread you'll probably get it quicker than waiting for replies here.