Gibson Brands Forums

Need Some Suggestions On Buying A Gibson Les Paul !

Kenimal

Hello guys, I am thinking about selling something so I can take the money and buy a Gibson Les Paul. I have never owned a Gibson Les Paul but that's what I want . Not to picky about color, just want a decent one for a good price.

I have been checking some out on ebay just to get a little bit of an idea of prices, I was wanting to get a Standard Model but most of them seem to be out of reach price wise. But on the other hand I see that a lot of the Studio Models are in my price range.

Oh, It may help for me to tell you how much I can spend max, $700.00 to $800.00 would be the range I can spend on one.

So My questions are as follows:

1.Can I get a decent Standard Model for my budget or would I need to settle for a Studio Model ?

2. Can someone elaborate on the differences both positive and negative between Standard & Studio Models ?

3. Would it be possible to get a decent deal on a Les Paul in a Pawn shop ?

4. Do I need to be careful of fakes ? If so what is the best way to identify Genuine vs Fakes ?

5. Any other tips or pointers that anyone can give me I am all ears !

Thanks Guys !

1.Can I get a decent Standard Model for my budget or would I need to settle for a Studio Model ?
For that money, you can get a decent Standard, but it will be well-used. 
You can land a mildly-used Studio in Excellent Plus condition for $800, but most likely on Craigslist.

2. Can someone elaborate on the differences both positive and negative between Standard & Studio Models ?
In essence, a Studio is a Standard, only without the attractive edge binding, and eye-catching bling. 
I'm a big fan of the Studio, and I have owned a few over the years. 
Great guitars. 

Unlikely, but stranger things have happened. 
You are most likely to find the prices jacked up in a pawn shop, just so you can talk them down to a price that makes you feel better about being a master negotiator. 
(A price that still makes the shop plenty of money, and that which leaves you feeling only mildly ripped-off.)

4. Do I need to be careful of fakes ? If so what is the best way to identify Genuine vs Fakes ?
YES. 
A Gibson Les Paul is very often faked, (as is the Fender Stratocaster) and there are a number of fakes lurking out there on eBay, Craigslist, and in pawn shops. 
Do a careful search of this web forum's threads on 'counterfeit' and 'Chibson' guitars. 
You will learn plenty. 

Yes.
Play everything that you can get your hands on. 
Don't rush. 
Take your time and play everything. 
Eventually you will find the Gibson Les Paul that feels right in your hands, and that which sings to you. 

🙂

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, sparquelito said:

For that money, you can get a decent Standard, but it will be well-used. 
You can land a mildly-used Studio in Excellent Plus condition for $800, but most likely on Craigslist.

In essence, a Studio is a Standard, only without the attractive edge binding, and eye-catching bling. 
I'm a big fan of the Studio, and I have owned a few over the years. 
Great guitars. 

Unlikely, but stranger things have happened. 
You are most likely to find the prices jacked up in a pawn shop, just so you can talk them down to a price that makes you feel better about being a master negotiator. 
(A price that still makes the shop plenty of money, and that which leaves you feeling only mildly ripped-off.)

YES. 
A Gibson Les Paul is very often faked, (as is the Fender Stratocaster) and there are a number of fakes lurking out there on eBay, Craigslist, and in pawn shops. 
Do a careful search of this web forum's threads on 'counterfeit' and 'Chibson' guitars. 
You will learn plenty. 

Yes.
Play everything that you can get your hands on. 
Don't rush. 
Take your time and play everything. 
Eventually you will find the Gibson Les Paul that feels right in your hands, and that which sings to you. 

🙂

That!

I couldn't add any more or say it any better. 

• Like 1

Kenimal, the above guys know of which they speak.  I look at lefties for myself and rightys for my son, and I see plenty of righty GLPs available all the time, all over the place.  Listen to these guys, take your time, don't rush, check local dealers, and you'll find a good one.

On 12/20/2019 at 11:29 AM, Kenimal said:

Hello guys, I am thinking about selling something so I can take the money and buy a Gibson Les Paul. I have never owned a Gibson Les Paul but that's what I want . Not to picky about color, just want a decent one for a good price.

I have been checking some out on ebay just to get a little bit of an idea of prices, I was wanting to get a Standard Model but most of them seem to be out of reach price wise. But on the other hand I see that a lot of the Studio Models are in my price range.

Oh, It may help for me to tell you how much I can spend max, $700.00 to $800.00 like this  https://bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-electric-guitars-for-kids/  would be the range I can spend on one.

So My questions are as follows:

Thanks Guys !

Hi
It is not clear to me if you have tried a LP. I suggest you go to your local guitar center and do the following. Grab a Gibson LP of the rack that is in your price range ( do not jump to the most expensive or what is clearly out of your price range …yet) and plug it into a amp that resembles what you are currently using. Take a lot of time to get the feel of it, how it reacts to your playing, if it does not give you that moment that you say "that's it" move on to the next guitar in your price range. Once you find a guitar in your price range that is "the one" put that aside. So now go to the rack and pick out a top of the line Gibson Les Paul $$$$. Play it for sometime then compare. You need to see, feel and listen to the difference. The point here is you need to do this yourself for neither I or anyone else can decide which is best for you. You need to try them out yourself, with your fingers, your ears. Also if you are coming from a Fender type guitar to a LP you may have to get use to it. Some have a problem going from a Strat type to a LP type.
Good Luck I am always excited when someone is in search of that new guitar day.

• Like 1