Gibson Brands Forums

J45 comparison

Huw1952

I have been watching this video of a comparison between the 2019 J45 models. My favourite is the J45 ADJ Natural (custom shop). I know very little about this guitar, so could anyone enlighten me? I'd love to try one out if there are any for sale (UK). I don't think it is a 2019 model though? More mid 1960s I thought? 

Why is that a J-45 ADJ? Looks like a J-50, complete with the batwing pick guard.

I have a J-50 ADJ that looks like this, it was made in 1965. I remember a few years ago there was some kind of limited edition J-45 ADJ re-issue, but it had a burst finish and teardrop pickguard. I think these were very rare, have never seen one for sale anywhere (but I have not actually looked for one either).

Edited by Boyd

12 minutes ago, Boyd said:

Why is that a J-45 ADJ? Looks like a J-50, complete with the batwing pick guard.

I have a J-50 ADJ that looks like this, it was made in 1965. I remember a few years ago there was some kind of limited edition J-45 ADJ re-issue, but it had a burst finish and teardrop pickguard. I think these were very rare, have never seen on for sale anywhere (but I have not actually looked for one either).

For some odd reason, Gibson has identified these modern versions of the J-50  as the "J-45 Natural." We've had discussions here on how non-historical that designation is, but I suppose they do it because a lot of people don't know anything about the J-50, and might not realize the only difference is the natural vs sunburst top.

The particular one in the video looks like a mid-60's re-issue, with the two-circle soundhole rosette, batwing guard, and ADJ with what is most likely a tusq insert, since it doesn't seem to have the ceramic tone. It probably has the modern standard scalloped top bracing and the wider nut, compared to the tapered bracing and narrower nut of a vintage piece. It looks like a nice guitar.