Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement Knobs

Liystalander

Hey guys.

I took my DF to the luthier today. He put on black speed knobs, which look fantastic. The Dark Fire really should have shipped with these. #-o Unfortunately, in the process, he broke one of my top hat knobs with labeling. I was wondering, where I could get a replacement LABLED top hat knob? I know they sell plain ones online, but I want the original labeled ones, if I decide to sell my DF one day. (I hear stock, original models are worth the most.)

Also, this may be a bit more complicated, but while playing, I scratched the carbon fiber finish of my Burstbucker. Do you know where I could get another pickup/carbon fiber cover? Im not in a rush, but I would like to know.

Thanks guys,

-Alex

Liystalander,

Answer to both questions: Gibson.

Liystalander wrote:

"...if I decide to sell my DF one day."

You just got it, as a gift from your mother, for your birthday. Now you've screwed it up. You're already thinking of selling?

Liystalander also wrote:

"(I hear stock, original models are worth the most.)"

You no longer have one; end of problem!

Liystalander' date='

Answer to both questions: Gibson.

Liystalander wrote:

"...if I decide to sell my DF one day."

You just got it, as a gift from your mother, for your birthday. Now you've screwed it up. You're already thinking of selling?

Liystalander also wrote:

You no longer have one; end of problem![/quote']

Whoa, chill out buddy. I have no intention of selling my Dark Fire. What kind of person do you think I am? I don't buy and sell expensive guitars as commodities; especially ones I get as amazing gifts from my parents. Part of the reason my mom and I chose a limited edition model, like the Dark Fire, was because we knew it should hold/increase in value, should the time come to sell it. I have no idea where I/my family will be financially, later down the road. We may need to sell it out of necessity if the economy continues to suck. I wanted the speed knobs, and quite frankly, I couldn't give a s**t about the top hats; I did NOT screw up my guitar. (Well, maybe a little with some heavy strumming over the pickup.) My mom wanted me to keep them if WE ever decided to sell the guitar. I did the same thing with the strap locks, when I replaced them with less bulky ones.

My mom could lose all of her clients (she's an interior designer) tomorrow, with the economy. Home decorating isn't on the top of everybody's list of priorities, and neither is selling a dark fire (at least for me; sorry canadaboy.)

Is there really anything wrong with wanting to keep your guitar in pristine condition, with all original/replacement parts kept in the event of something unexpected?

To sum up my point: No, I am not selling my guitar, nor am I being ungrateful towards my mom. I just wanted to have the parts to revert to a 100% stock model, should I ever need to sell the guitar due to the economy, or for my own reasons later down the road. (And by later, I mean like 10-15+ years later.) Think of it as me keeping a log of all changes to the guitar, as well as all of the parts ever modified, sealed in the plastic ziplock bags, sealed in the pristine white case, sealed in the Gibson gift box, sealed in the top shelf of my closet. I HAVE NO ACTIVE PLANS TO SELL THIS GUITAR. I may replace the pickup cover anyways though, as I'm OCD about scratches and scuffs like that. No need to be judgmental, photonutalan1!

Otherwise, thanks for your response. I guess I'll contact Gibson. Do you think I should wait until they begin to ship DF parts to service centers, or should I just call now?

Liystalander,

Under the "Dark Fire Registry" thread, you also wrote:

"I replaced the strings too. Unfortunately, I scratched/dinged the headstock with the wire cutters... Trying to debate weather to fix it or not. It's so small, fixing it may draw more attention to it."

I don't need to chill, Alex; I think you do! Facts: You've screwed up your DF in several different ways (it's certainly no longer pristine), you didn't buy it, your mom did; you made a mess out of the headstock while changing (unecessarilly?) new strings on a new guitar, you took it to a "luthier" who broke a tone knob while changing them out; you ruined the finish on the pickup. I'm going to guess you've also voided your warranty. The only mention of actually *playing* this guitar on this forum, is your reference to the pickup damage. (Do you play?)

I think it's time for you to take a deep breath and evaluate your situation, Liystalander.

Again: Liystalander wrote:

I wrote:

You no longer have one; end of problem!

Though my guitar may not be "pristine," I think that it looks great!

http://gallery.me.com/liystalander#100067 (I updated it with recent pics.)

I just wanted to know where to get the parts, should the time ever come that I need to. (For any reason.)

If you look at the picture of the headstock, you can't see the headstock scratch. The camera couldn't capture it, but it isn't very bad. It's hard to see unless the light hits it the right way. I also posted pics of the knobs, and the overall guitar. As for the pickup covers, that looks to me like it could only be a result of playing.

Ultimately, you will make your own guess as to weather or not I play. I'll tell you right now that I do. Let me ask you this, though. Would someone who doesn't play buy a robot guitar? Would they then subsequently change the strings, and have the knobs replaced? Would they then add a scratch on the pickup cover to make it appear as though they had scratched the pickup while strumming?

Also, everything I did kept warranty intact. I called Gibson last night to double check. I believe the pickup covers fall under under normal wear and tear. Also, I changed the strings because I broke a string. I decided not to just replace the broken string, so that I could clean the guitar.

Btw bro, three things:

1. You do not need to change the pickup cover for that kind of small scratch. Its a GUITAR (no im not being a **** here) and if you play it, it will get little dings and stuff. (BTW to prevent headstock dings, use a planet waves string winder/cutter, it will make it so you never are in danger of hurting your guitar again) Also, headstock dings are so normal that if a potential buyer was losing his **** over a little ding, i would tell him to **** off and not even offer it to a **** like that.

2. The good news is that the "broken" knob is the tone knob, which is MUCH better than breaking the "unique" volume knobs. If you ever wanted to replace it, you could probably find a music store where they are scrapping an old Sg standard and just buy one of the tone knobs off of it.

3. I swear to god if you go ****ing crazy and start calling me a **** thinking that im some idiot who thinks you dont deserve your guitar, and that your guitar should go to a better owner, blah blah blah, then im going to kick your azz, lol.

Seriously, its a guitar. Dont treat it like its ****, but dont treat it like its glass. Its just a guitar man, and as expensive as it is, it is made to last. If you take half assed care of it, it will last longer then you ever would.

1) NEver use a string winder on the Dark Fire - You will damage the tuners - Read the manual - Use Side cutters and cut the string as close to the tuning post as possible after locking the string with the screw down tuning post string clamp - and BEFORE winding the string up to pitch with the robot string up function - follow the instructions in the owners manual.

2) Contact Gibson for a replacement knob, you may have to buy a set of 4 black knobs to get a new Tone knob.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/gibson-top-hat-knobs--MK010.htm

MK010_sm_.jpg

The Dark Fire Truss Rod and Output Jack are the only things in common with other Gibsons. All other components are unique to this model.

Btw bro' date=' three things:

1. You do not need to change the pickup cover for that kind of small scratch. Its a GUITAR (no im not being a **** here) and if you play it, it will get little dings and stuff. (BTW to prevent headstock dings, use a planet waves string winder/cutter, it will make it so you never are in danger of hurting your guitar again) Also, headstock dings are so normal that if a potential buyer was losing his **** over a little ding, i would tell him to **** off and not even offer it to a **** like that.

2. The good news is that the "broken" knob is the tone knob, which is MUCH better than breaking the "unique" volume knobs. If you ever wanted to replace it, you could probably find a music store where they are scrapping an old Sg standard and just buy one of the tone knobs off of it.

3. I swear to god if you go ****ing crazy and start calling me a **** thinking that im some idiot who thinks you dont deserve your guitar, and that your guitar should go to a better owner, blah blah blah, then im going to kick your azz, lol.

Seriously, its a guitar. Dont treat it like its ****, but dont treat it like its glass. Its just a guitar man, and as expensive as it is, it is made to last. If you take half assed care of it, it will last longer then you ever would.[/quote']

Thanks. I appreciate your response. I will call Gibson/buy the tone knob from elderly.com. (Thanks elantric.) I am lucky in the fact that it is just the tone knob. I will leave the headstock dings alone, as you are right in the fact that they are incredibly common. As for the pickup cover, that is one of those things that I would probably just keep in a bag in the case, just in case I do decide to sell many years down the road.

I don't think any of you on the forums are dicks, just as I hope none of you think that I am a ****. I just don't like being criticized for something based on assumption alone. If I really was selling my guitar for the reasons photonutalan1 said, then hell yeah, I'd deserve criticism. Truth is, though, I'm not doing that, and I just wanted to prepare myself for whatever the future may bring. I do get a little pissed though, with lines like:

"You just got it, as a gift from your mother, for your birthday. Now you've screwed it up. You're already thinking of selling?"

and

"The only mention of actually *playing* this guitar on this forum, is your reference to the pickup damage. (Do you play?)"

One doesn't need to be sarcastic to get their point across.

Peace, guys, and thanks for the advice.

Oh, and sgTime, I don't believe we've met. I can tell you're not new to the forums, as you have 180 posts, but you seem to be new to the Dark Fire section of the forums, so please allow me to be the first to say: Welcome to the Forums! ;)

• 2 months later...

Stew-Mac also sells top hat knobs (along with all sorts of other goodies that can drain a bank account in a hurry). They're a great company to do business with, and their prices are quite fair--the previous comment was in reference to all the things one might be tempted to buy... ;->

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs.html

As others have pointed out, scratches, dings, and worn paint are all part of a used guitar's charm and would rarely affect the selling price. Don't sweat it. If someone's looking for a pristine axe, (s)he's more likely to buy new than used.

~Ted (who's been playing for 30+ years)

BTW, I still have the first electric I ever owned--a '78 Peavy T-60. I'd never sell it as it was a gift from my folks and has way too many fond memories attached to it.

BTW, I still have the first electric I ever owned--a '78 Peavy T-60. I'd never sell it as it was a gift from my folks and has way too many fond memories attached to it.

Me too - a 1967 J.C. Penny's "Penncrest" asian ES-330 clone .

Archived