Gibson Brands Forums
penn

Help identifying a Gibson Acoustic

Hey, this guitar is in a local pawn shop for about 8 hundred. i've never seen a gibson like this before and was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it like when it was made, and if it is worth this much. i think the serial number is B006005. that was the number was on the back of the headstock anyway. sorry the picture isn't better. Thanks. 

IMG_0752.jpeg

It's a Gibson Mark series. If it's mahogany sides and back, it's an MK35. If blonde maple, MK53. They also made a rosewood MK72 and a blinged out MK99. These were made from around 1974-5 to 1978 or so. They were not a commercial success.  It's not so much that they were bad guitars, but rather that they were so "non-Gibson" in construction and appearance that the public shyed away. The bracing was a radical design, as were the bridge and headstock. There's a lot more to this story but that's the gist. They're not collectible and they are a hard sell. If they are ever worth anything, then so will AMC Matadors.

They suffered the same maladies as other 70s Gibsons. Necks are more likely to twist, truss rods are less likely to WORK, other problems.

If you play it and like it, then fine, but I've seen better looking examples for the same or less money.

B prefix on the serial number is 73-75.  I don't know specifically when the MK series came out, could have been late 74 but more likely 75.