Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 strings?

trailerman

As the new owner of an L-00 Studio, I have just started experimenting with various types of strings.  Today I changed the original Gibson Masterbuilt PB strings to 80/20 bronze.  I will see how they sound after some playing.  I am wondering what strings other L-00 owners use and why.

Nice guitar! My favorite player, but mine's a '35. I tried plenty of strings but have settled on 80/20's. I keep a pile of Dunlop 13's on hand, but I play tuned down a step, D-D, to keep the top lively. They're not too jangly, calm down in a shorter amt of time, and live for 2 or 3 months of flatpicking.

I actually use them exclusively on all my acoustics, except for my one dread, a Martin that needs less treble to my ear. I keep the Thomastic-Infelds for that one.

Edited by jedzep

On 12/23/2019 at 5:29 PM, jedzep said:

Nice guitar! My favorite player, but mine's a '35. I tried plenty of strings but have settled on 80/20's. I keep a pile of Dunlop 13's on hand, but I play tuned down a step, D-D, to keep the top lively. They're not too jangly, calm down in a shorter amt of time, and live for 2 or 3 months of flatpicking.

I actually use them exclusively on all my acoustics, except for my one dread, a Martin that needs less treble to my ear. I keep the Thomastic-Infelds for that one.

There is a whole lot of difference between a '35 L00 and a Bozeman version..  That said I play a '32 L1 and string with  Newtone Masterclass PBs.   Mine is a 12 fretter and built scary light though  so I will not go near 13s unless I was willing to tune down at least 1 1/2 steps.    

I must be going crazy. The PB's are much brighter to my ears than the 80/20s, but the consensus seems to be the reverse. That's why I moved from the DR PBs to Dunlop 80/20s in the first place.

One good thing, Sweetwater sent me a gift coupon. Guess I've bought more strings than I remember.  I piled on the T-I's.