Gibson Brands Forums

Question About ES-125 with no pickup

SD1138

Hello all!

First time poster here, so I apologize if this has been addressed before. I tried to seach the forms, but didn't find my question.

I have a Gibson acoustic archtop with the ink stamp of V 4386 32. I have narrowed it down to a 1956 (due to the F.O.N. of V) ES-125 (not an ES-150 due to the waist size..info I did find on here while seaching). The problem is that while it looks *exactly* like an ES-125, with every "stat" matching the 125, mine does not have the P90 pickup. Would this still be considered an ES-125? Or is there another model that it would fall under because it does not have the pickup? Every photo of the ES-125 I could find online has the P90 pickup, so that is why I am unsure.

Thanks in Advance for the help!

It's probably an L-48. You are correct in calling it a '56 and at a quick glance an L-48 would look pretty much like a pickup-less 125. However there is one very important difference: all ES guitars have laminated maple tops which aren't good for acoustics but have less negative impact on electrics... and they are cheaper to make and much more durable. All 'L' series archtops have solid spruce tops. The L-48 was the low end archtop at the time yours was made but they are still very good guitars.

main_8986.jpg

Thank You!

I now have a proper title for my guitar. It feels a little more complete now. It is a great guitar even if it is a lower end model. Really speaks to the quality and craftmanship of Gibson Co. if their lower end models were like this! My dad bought it when he was a teenager and now I am using it, so the only place it's going to is my kid someday.

Make no mistake, it is pure Gibson with all the quality and workmanship that goes with it. It was only low end because of lack of bling. In today's terms it would be like comparing a Les Paul Studio to a Standard to a Custom.... the blindfold test says all are good and the major difference is pretty stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I had never heard of an L48 until recently when one was posted on my local Craigslist. It's not mine, but I was sure drooling over this and the L4 this guy has listed. He seems to be asking a lot, but what do I know. Both these guitars look pretty sweet and would be a blast to own. Does your L48 look like this one?

L48 For Sale in Minneapolis area

Here is the L4 listing too...... (GAS,GAS,GAS,GAS,GAS,GAS,GAS)

L4 for Sale in Minneapolis area

Man there are some very cool looking old archtops out there.....

Archived