Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom Abalone Sparkle Start of Finish Cracking

alightmusic

Hey guys, I've had this guitar for about a year and a half now, and I noticed another one of these popped up on ebay with some pretty extreme finish cracking (The gray one). Mine has developed two cracks by the tuners and one by the fretboard. Was wondering if this is a known issue, or what can be done to prevent it from happening. I keep my guitars humidified between 45-55%. Thanks for any help!

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5190.JPG

IMG_5191.jpg

Not sure if this is common with this particular finish or not.  I don't think there is much  you can do to prevent it.  The finish could be repaired, but not sure it's worth it if more cracks will appear later on.  As long as it doesn't effect it's playability you might have to learn to live with it.  Seems a shame for such an expensive Custom Shop guitar, but that is one thing Gibson does not warranty (finishes).

Edited by Twang Gang

I can see the pics now (not sure what changed).  But that is pretty extreme after 18 months.   If you bought it new, you should go back to the dealer for them to leverage Gibson to make it right?  If that is not possible, I would contact Gibson directly.  This is a Gibson Custom Shop after only 18 months.  VERY sub-par.  I bet that guitar was very expensive.

Edited by 01GT eibach
clarity