Gibson Brands Forums

Like a Bird that fleeeew. .

E-minor7

It's not often we see Bob go Bird.

Hmmm, , , there was an inauguration scene with a very cherry one, , , there's a circa 1964 picture where he borrows Yarrow's or Stooke's Southern Jumbo and I've met a recent Tube live thing featuring a Country Western. Here however, a blonde 68er is chosen and it doesn't seem to be that long ago.  It could of course have been handed to him by the photographer  - but it could also belong to his own huge herd. What do we know, , , other than Dylan has been a severe user and passer of acoustic guitars over the years. And was honoured with a signature J-200 , let's not forget. Well, that's another thread (rhymes appropriate).

But when ~ qRHSCjC.jpg

2 hours ago, Jinder said:

Fantastic pic. I think this is circa "Love & Theft" but I might be wrong. From an aesthetic standpoint, he's aged incredibly well. I'd be thrilled if I can cut the light in such a way when I get to his age.

Sadly his voice is past shot. Seen him a few times and if I did not know what song it was I would have no clue what he was singing.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

WTF is he saying? I know the song well. Mumble mumble, a word I understand, mumble. I love Bob I really do but he really can't sing anymore. I'm sorry if you think he can.

He changes the lyrics in this version. But yes, , some mumble is goin' on. Good performance though. 
Both the waiter and dancer look as if they  never heard anything like it - stunned and stiffened they try to get not only the words, but the whole artist. . 

Edited by E-minor7

Apart from that I don't know if you went to the concerts between the late 80s and mid-90s. 

That was a serious low on almost all posts. By then he was emptied like the dolls behind him, sometimes turning the songs into downrite sad-farce. 

I saw him several times during that period and he should have stopped. I did instead, , , till finally attending a gig i 98. Marvellous from beginning to end. A general changing-point. 

Saw him when he toured with the Grateful Dead and once in '07 or '08 and when he did the Minor League stadium tour with Wille and Mellencamp. When we saw him at Bull Durham park my wife asked me what the hell is he saying? I replied I think he is introducing the band. I wont see him ever again. 

A little bit of what all are saying here. I'd always thought his more recent performances were for seeing Bob & Co. do his and their thing- the people who came to see it already knew the lyrics, and allowed Bob to take some liberties expressing them. Or he forgot the words.

Submitted as Exhibit A:

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I wont see him ever again. 

Probably the best thing to do. 

My break has been on for over 20 years, but isn't definitive.  Many excellent things seen on the Tube the last decade. 

And (among several others)  personal memories from 1978  along the tragic yet splendid concert i Avignon 3 years later cannot be erased. 

I saw Bob in the last few years. Great show, the King of stage presence, fantastic Band.

Shut up and respect your elders. He's earned every quirk, and we are all aging together.

He's outsold every damn one of us.

He doesn't tour and work because he needs the money. There is still a demand.

24 minutes ago, nrthcountryblue said:

Bob is still a fantastic singer.

He can be. His live performances have always varied from brilliant to wtf?

The first time I saw him in 1966, he did two sets: one electric, one acoustic, by himself. He never so much as acknowledged the existence of the audience. It was as if he was playing and singing just for himself. To some extent, that's what we see today at times.

Back when I first started doing Dylan stuff, when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I was astonished at how hard much of it was to sing. To some extent, only his unique singing style made performing it viable.

I cut him a lot of slack because of his brilliant history of songwriting. He's never had a great singing voice like David Crosby or others of his (my) generation, but his songwriting more than makes up for it.

These days, I think twice before going to concerts by those idols of my youth who are still touring. You can't expect them all to sound like they did when they were 30. You can stay home, spin the vinyl, and dream of decades past. Or you can go see them, tolerate the ravages of time, and admire the fact that they're still laying it on the line.

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

Larry Campbell on the right. Amazing musician. Seen him with Jackson Browne.

Funny watching Larry C. going with Bob's emo-flow during Visions of Johanna in that clip. . . keep an eye on him for ~15 sec starting at 7:16- a double take, a glance a Bob, a glance at his other stage partner, and a smile.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I saw Bob in the last few years. Great show, the King of stage presence, fantastic Band.

Shut up and respect your elders. He's earned every quirk, and we are all aging together.

He's outsold every damn one of us.

He doesn't tour and work because he needs the money. There is still a demand.

If you have read my posts don't hate him and have seen him live 3 times. I said his voice is blown and can't sing anymore. If you like his current vocal stylings good on ya. He is a pro and his bands are always tight. I'm sorry you elders refuse to admit his voice is not what it once was. 

Yes he still tours cause he must still enjoy it and makes records cause he is a musician and that is what they do. I'm an electrician. I don't weld cause it's not what I get paid to do and second  I don't know how to do it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, nrthcountryblue said:

This is simply a difference of taste.  As Jeffrey Lebowski would say, 'That's just your opinion, man'.   And you're treating your opinion as though it were fact.  I happen to think he's still a fantastic singer!

Yep you are absolutely right. Obviously your not a golfer.