Gibson Brands Forums

Asking for help w serial starting with “A09” 1959 Historic Gloss Es-335 Reissue?

MelBues

It is possible that with the change in Gibson serial number formats a couple of years ago, changes have been made for custom shop re-issues as well.

Starting in 1995, the ES-335 Historic models format used to be   A-MYRRR, where M was the model year being re-issued, Y was the production year, and RRR was the individual guitar's place in the sequence for that year.

My 2009 Nashville-built '59 Historic re-issue, for example, has serial number that is formatted A-99xxx. The xxx is a three digit number that could in theory range from 001 to 999 for any given year.

The problem with that format is that numbers could repeat every 10 years, so maybe they've changed the format to address that problem. You may need to contact Gibson customer support. This info used to be available (and may still be) at:  Gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Sorry I don't have the time to search for you right now.

Thanks. They must’ve abandoned the numbering convention of  A-MYRRR, or perhaps for this serial number run they’re using “0” to denote a particular batch of 1959 historical, i.e. A-09YRR. Its anyone’s guess, perhaps. I’ve emailed Gibson. 

41 minutes ago, MelBues said:

Thanks. They must’ve abandoned the numbering convention of  A-MYRRR, or perhaps for this serial number run they’re using “0” to denote a particular batch of 1959 historical, i.e. A-09YRR. Its anyone’s guess, perhaps. I’ve emailed Gibson. 

The information I quoted above is still what is on the Gibson website, so maybe you'll get some new info from customer service.

55 minutes ago, MelBues said:

I got a reply from Gibson. Very fast reply.  It’s a 2018 ’59 ES-335 Kalamazoo historic reissue model which was built in Memphis .

Clarification that they have changed the serial number system, yet again. It would be nice to know the new format.

I guess all ES production is now in Memphis. That makes sense, but I like the " '59-335, Nashville, Tennessee, USA" label on guitars like mine  from the old Custom, Art, and Historic shop in Nashville.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, j45nick said:

Clarification that they have changed the serial number system, yet again. It would be nice to know the new format.

I guess all ES production is now in Memphis. That makes sense, but I like the " '59-335, Nashville, Tennessee, USA" label on guitars like mine  from the old Custom, Art, and Historic shop in Nashville.

The "new" A09 format is only used for a couple of the reissues, including the '59. 

No, Memphis has closed with all ES production now in Nashville.

12 hours ago, JSW said:

Mine started A-91XXX. 9 for’59 and 1 for 01 or 11, this is a Nashville

I only got the hang tags And no COA.  ( I heard that year didn’t have one /shrugs

Since ES production was "just moved" from Memphis to Nashville, it matters a lot *when* it was made.   When was yours made?  Should have a sticker that either says Memphis or Nashville, regardless.

I've seen no evidence that any ES models are no longer coming with COAs.