Gibson Brands Forums

A Little Instrumental On My J50....

BluesKing777

8 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks Nick!

Next little project for the J50 is to figure out how I can solder a new battery connector on to wires to replace the broken connector and find out if the pickup still works, preferably without pulling the wires all the way out! Might need 4 hands.

BluesKing777.

You need a soldering vise/stand with alligator clips, if you don't have one. Should be able to get one at any electronics parts store, or online. They're like an extra pair of hands when it comes to picky little jobs.

Thanks all.....

On another thread I mentioned the J50 has a pickup installed already, but the previous owner(s) left the battery in too long and it self-welded to the connector. When I changed the battery, the connector fell apart and half of it stayed melted to the battery top.....

So I have the lead floating around and a pickup already, so I will put a new connector on.....somehow. I have only about 2” of lead reaching out the soundhole, might solder myself to the guitar top?

And then I can plug in to my Tonedexter and/or Boss VE8 and/or mixer and/or EQ devices and/or amp.

BluesKing777.

We are fine here in southern Victoria, Nick - the bad fires are near the Victoria/New South Wales border 7 or 8 hours drive from here. It is a massive forest but 6 or 7 huge fires have joined together. I use to holiday on that coast a lot when younger...Eden, Merimbula, Narooma, Batemans Bay...few times nearly didn't come back! Beautiful area! No work though....

Here are a few more photos I just took of the J50 (enjoy while we can!!!!):

b616TDkh.jpg

1Y2lq5Wh.jpg

The guitar's new house!:

USHFShZh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

On the matter of pickups for my J50........

I have tried most of my soundhole pickups over the last couple of weeks and have not really liked them, then yesterday I grabbed my Baggs M1A. It has been lying on its side for a while since I took both wings and screws off in an attempt to get it to fit in a guitar with smaller soundhole (Martin OMs!!!!) - fits just. To hold the pickup in the hole - gaffa tape!

The threads for the screws are dodgy, so I sat in the living room in the light, away from guitar distraction, and got it back in action.

Put it in the J50 and ...aha, the settings on the pickup I did previously for another guitar with the pole pieces work perfectly with the J50!

Hmmm, sounds really good. Another example of not knowing until you try it!

BluesKing777.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:45 PM, BluesKing777 said:

I just recorded this instrumental on my J50 for you.....

Now, that's some tasty blues right there!  Picked up my harp to play along.  You must have capo'ed up to the key of D?

6 hours ago, Cougar said:

Now, that's some tasty blues right there!  Picked up my harp to play along.  You must have capo'ed up to the key of D?

Thanks!

Yep, tuned down to D with a set of medium strings. Always worked well at blues jams to scare harp players...😬

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

6 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Yep, tuned down to D with a set of medium strings.  Always worked well at blues jams to scare harp players...😬

Oh, down to D, of course!  And D is great for harp since it's G that plays in D, and G is one of the lowest toned harps.  Love my G harp!