Gibson Brands Forums

What is your favorite Beatles album?

Sgt. Pepper

Lets's have some fun. And answer up. Say why or not, or you can say you are not a fan. I'm a big boy and can take it if you don't.

I an a huge The Beatles fan aka The White Album. It has so much on it and has blistering rock to silly stuff to what John referred to as Pauls granny music to avant garde (although I hate Rev #9). No.9 is the only thing I would change about the album. Hey Jude (not a fan of that song either) and Lady Madonna were recorded at the same time and if on would have made IMHO the album better. In my younger days Pepper was my #1. Love all the 50th Anniversary remix's. They are really well...fab.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Abbey Road. I was 9 when it came out and at that age at that time it was the best thing I'd ever heard and I still love it the most. Every song on there is a favorite of mine except I want you/She's so heavy and Sun King although the latter has grown on me with age. I remember hearing some of them for the first time and without having anything intelligent as a reason for liking them, I just did, in a big way. Hasn't changed. COme Together, Something, Oh Darling, Here Comes the Sun and The whole short segment second side. I just the re-release this year and absolutely love it all over again.

I know you didn't ask for second place but mine is different than most. I like Beatles For Sale second best.

To me, you can make a strong argument for any  album released after Rubber Soul.  I know Rubber Soul  is lauded so highly ... and rightfully so, but everything released after it was better ... IMO.

The best Beatles album to me is Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.  John came super strong with three tunes that are particularly great: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Good Morning/Good Morning, and A Day In The Life (yes, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite  is great too, but I  like the other three above Kite).  George's Within You, Without You is awesome, and I really like that they opened side 2 with it as a long (for that time) five-minute track.  The other "somewhat forgotten" Paul tunes are amazing: Getting Better, Fixing A Hole, and She's Leaving Home (not as amazing but still good are Lovely Rita and When I Am Sixty Four).    

I just always thought as a soup-to-nuts album, Sgt Pepper was without equal.  I also  really love the strong guitars in the Sgt Pepper track and  the Good Morning/Good Morning  guitar solo, in particular.  The album concept was super cool and very well executed visually, as well, with the costumes, cover art, and packaging.

Sgtpeppergatefold.jpg

Pepper is hard to deny. There is nothing like it. It wasn't what normal rock or pop or whatever the flavor or the day was. They were doing it then The Stones tried to emulate it 2 months later. I had Let It Be on 8 Track. Love all their stuff but Rubber Soul and beyond is the changing of the guard for them. The stars alined for them. They had it all, a great producer, world class studio, two of the best song writters on the planet ect.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Typically, a "studio band" in this day and age does not play a lot together.  So I remember when I first saw the Let It Be roof concert, I was surprised how great they played and sounded together considering the bad weather and how spur of the moment it was.  But the Beatles mode of recording was always to lay down a single baseline track of them playing as a band, and THEN they would bounce and layer recordings on top of that to fill it out (due to the limitations of four-track recording).  As such, even though they were not touring, they always - for the most part - were playing together as a band.  Having them play so well together, and also considering their great musicianship (all of them) really added significantly to their greatness ... IMO.

I think I got Abbey Road, Pepper then Let It Be after that I can't remember. Stoney druggy Beatles are my favorite. Solo stuff is cool but they needed each other to push each other and try to one up  each other on the next song.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Pepper is hard to deny. There is nothing like it. It wasn't what normal rock or pop or whatever the flavor or the day was. ......Rubber Soul and beyond is the changing of the guard for them. The stars aligned for them. They had it all, a great producer, world class studio, two of the best song writters on the planet ect.

Undeniable as you say.

Though IMO "Revolver" is where the afterburners kicked in, so to speak  - and everything thereafter led to "Pepper".

The death of Brian Epstein then really changed everything and everyone, most importantly Lennon.

I think "Abbey Road" must be their most beautiful LP recording........:-k

Nice thread [thumbup]

Edited by jdgm

Pepper: There are only a tiny minority of songs that I can listen to now and experience the same emotional thrill as when heard the 1st time. 'A Day in the Life' is one of those songs, and is my favourite Beatles song of all. 

Now, we all understood the OP remit that this was really about original albums. It makes sense. But I have to say that if anyone here missed the retrospective release 'Love', then consider putting that right soon. It's George (& sone Giles) Martin's re-imagined, re-mixed uniquely presented collection. 'Love' really demonstrates Martin's imagination and creative genius. 

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Pepper: There are only a tiny minority of songs that I can listen to now and experience the same emotional thrill as when heard the 1st time. 'A Day in the Life' is one of those songs, and is my favourite Beatles song of all. 

Now, we all understood the OP remit that this was really about original albums. It makes sense. But I have to say that if anyone here missed the retrospective release 'Love', then consider putting that right soon. It's George (& sone Giles) Martin's re-imagined, re-mixed uniquely presented collection. 'Love' really demonstrates Martin's imagination and creative genius. 

I've never heard Love. I know people say they did a real good job with it. I listened to The White Album about 50 times last year, Pepper about 30 and Road about 15. If you haven't heard the 50th anniversary editions, I think they are fantastic and don't listen to the original mixes of those 3 much since the new ones give me a b0ner.

The Beatles' albums -- to me -- seem like we have heard them a billion times (because we have).  But it always amazes me how refreshing and pleasant they always sound.  Because of my earlier post in this thread, I went to re-listen to the guitar solo in Good Morning, Good Morning  off Sgt Pepper ... I ended up listening to the whole album.  Just brilliant ... 1 billion and 1, I guess.

12 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

The Beatles' albums -- to me -- seem like we have heard them a billion times (because we have).  But it always amazes me how refreshing and pleasant they always sound.  Because of my earlier post in this thread, I went to re-listen to the guitar solo in Good Morning, Good Morning  off Sgt Pepper ... I ended up listening to the whole album.  Just brilliant ... 1 billion and 1, I guess.

Pepper is always a great choice. The opening chords to Getting Better slap you right in the face. Who else in rock was doing anything like She's Leaving Home.  The Moody Blues did interesting stuff. But not like The Fab 4.

The Beatles are the reason that I play music. I heard "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and that was it for me! They sounded like they were having SO much fun! Anyway, my favorite album is probably "Revolver" with "Sgt. Pepper's" next and then the "White Album". "Revolution No. 9" used to scare the crap out of the 8 or 9 year old me! I also like their early stuff...sounds like a party! Great thread!

2 hours ago, G Mac said:

The Beatles are the reason that I play music. I heard "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and that was it for me! They sounded like they were having SO much fun! Anyway, my favorite album is probably "Revolver" with "Sgt. Pepper's" next and then the "White Album". "Revolution No. 9" used to scare the crap out of the 8 or 9 year old me! I also like their early stuff...sounds like a party! Great thread!

My cousin turned me on to The White Album in the summer of '79. We used to listen to Rev #9 first sitting at one speaker and then the other to hear the different stuff from each speaker. I can't stand it. Used to think it was cool, but now I'm older and wiser and it's nothing more than LSD fueled sh!t.

I play whatever anybody in a band wants to play, I sing it and I enjoy it all.  I rarely, if ever, listen to the Beatles.  I may have some form of Greatest Hits on my old iPod, but I don't think that thing even works anymore.

rct

6 minutes ago, rct said:

I play whatever anybody in a band wants to play, I sing it and I enjoy it all.  I rarely, if ever, listen to the Beatles.  I may have some form of Greatest Hits on my old iPod, but I don't think that thing even works anymore.

rct

Cell Phones are the new iPods.

Mrs and I have only ever had  TracFones.  Fones are for talking and texting, and I barely do the latter.  Sat in front of the stupid internet all day every day for a long time, never wanted it in my pocket and still don't.

rct