Gibson Brands Forums

What is your favorite Beatles album?

Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, G Mac said:

The Beatles are the reason that I play music. I heard "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and that was it for me! They sounded like they were having SO much fun! Anyway, my favorite album is probably "Revolver" with "Sgt. Pepper's" next and then the "White Album". "Revolution No. 9" used to scare the crap out of the 8 or 9 year old me! I also like their early stuff...sounds like a party! Great thread!

That's it in a nutshell,  they were energetic,  and having a good time! Their early work was all about youthful things and were upbeat.

I have a theory about why the 4 mop tops took ove the US rock and pop scene so fast.

They first played to a national audience on the Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964,  I was 14, and like all the others in my high school still dealing with the reality of JFKs assassination,  the nation was still literally  in a 90 day mourning and we kids desperately needed what The Beatles offered,  a reason  to be cheerful again. And the music was all new.  It didn't remind us of the past because it was brand new,  everything else on the radio was familiar.  These guys were happy, smiling the music was fast, witty and each of them were personable. 

So my pick for the best Beatles album?  Anything released between 1963 and 1970, and remixes released later.

Edited by jaxson50

7 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

That's it in a nutshell,  they were energetic,  and having a good time! Their early work was all about youthful things and were upbeat.

I have a theory about why the 4 mop tops took ove the US rock and pop scene so fast.

They first played to a national audience on the Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964,  I was 14, and like all the others in my high school still dealing with the reality of JFKs assassination,  the nation was still literally  in a 90 day mourning and we kids desperately needed what The Beatles offered,  a reason  to be cheerful again. And the music was all new.  It didn't remind us of the past because it was brand new,  everything else on the radio was familiar.  These guys were happy, smiling the music was fast, witty and each of them were personable. 

So my pick for the best Beatles album?  Anything released between 1963 and 1970, and remixes released later.

Good choice.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:02 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Pepper is hard to deny. There is nothing like it. It wasn't what normal rock or pop or whatever the flavor or the day was. They were doing it then The Stones tried to emulate it 2 months later. I had Let It Be on 8 Track. Love all their stuff but Rubber Soul and beyond is the changing of the guard for them. The stars alined for them. They had it all, a great producer, world class studio, two of the best song writters on the planet ect.

I always looked at Rubber Soul as the album that they opened the door & stepped away from the "She Loves You" pop songs. and with Revolver, that door slammed shut. 

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

I always looked at Rubber Soul as the album that they opened the door & stepped away from the "She Loves You" pop songs. and with Revolver, that door slammed shut. 

That was when the album as a art form started.

• Thanks 1

All these posts and no one got the right answer. The American release of Magical Mystery Tour.

The LP with the double gate-fold and booklet is awesome, but the songs are better.

That being said, the Beatles are the most over rated band ever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

MMT is good. I hate Flying and Blue Jay Way. Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were singles from before Pepper (lazy).  The title track is dy-no-mite though. Rich Man is great. Hello Goodbye is just alright. All You Need Is Love is good, and another sing along. 

My first post was the most correct - The White Album. But seriously there is no right or wrong. Its The Beatles.

27 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

As far as overlooked goes, though ... how about the tracks on the Yellow Submarine soundtrack?

- Only A Northern Song

- All Together Now

- Hey, Bulldog

- It's all Too Much

Yeah but half was George Martins orchestrated score and not the lads. The Beatles stuff was great.

My favorite was Sgt Pepper. But I enjoyed and owned all of their albums.

I’m 71 and grew up in rock and roll. 

In August of 1965 I saw them perform at the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. They were great!

jayguitar

Edited by jayguitar
Name needed to be all lowercase

1 hour ago, jayguitar said:

My favorite was Sgt Pepper. But I enjoyed and owned all of their albums.

I’m 71 and grew up in rock and roll. 

In August of 1965 I saw them perform at the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. They were great!

jayguitar

How was it listening to all those girls screaming?

21 hours ago, deeman said:

I know what a bunch of hacks. What did they ever do except change music? And make what many consider some of the best  recorded music of all time. At 21ish Macca writes Yesterday and it is the most covered song of all time. What hit did you write at 21?

6 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

hmmm...

so maybe none of us qualify to hold an opinion? 🙊

everyone holds a right to their opinions, just like everyone holds the right to their opinions of others opinions.  my statement to Deeman was perhaps too much of a blanket statement. I just don't agree with his statement concerning the Beatles. thats all.

22 hours ago, deeman said:

All these posts and no one got the right answer. The American release of Magical Mystery Tour.

The LP with the double gate-fold and booklet is awesome, but the songs are better.

1 hour ago, deeman said:

Ouch. I love the Beatles, but its true.

12 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

hmmm...

so maybe none of us qualify to hold an opinion? 🙊

Deeman, with all due respect I disagree with your assessment of the Beatles ... 

10 minutes ago, Karloff said:

everyone holds a right to their opinions, just like everyone holds the right to their opinions of others opinions.  my statement to Deeman was perhaps too much of a blanket statement. I just don't agree with his statement concerning the Beatles. thats all.

My remark was prompted mostly by Sgt Pepper's 

What hit did you write at 21?

My way of appealing for tolerance and humility. - No big deal either way though.

I know people slag them and people worship them. I listen to them. The stars and planets aligned for those guys. It was the right time, with the right producer and the right 4 guys who were a damn good group and were willing to push the envelope of what was being done and take advice and listen Sir George. The 5th and 6th Beatle is George Martin and Studio.

And Yoko did not break The Beatles up, The Beatles broke The Beatles up. How would you like to spend 8 to 10 years up the @sses of 3 other people constantly day in and day out? And have everyone wanting a piece of you and being their cash cow?

To this day I still get a stiffy when I drop the needle and hear the sound of the plane engine and I know that album back to front and back again.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'm not. If they are not your cuppa tea, get it their English, so be it. They were just a little group that got kind of popular. Made some good music and the rest is history. I could have done a favorite Allman Brothers album thread, but I didn't. And the answer is Eat A Peach. The Fillmore one is pretty amazing too. Sadly only got to see them once, and it was when Warren was in the group. I have seen Jack Pearson in Nashville. Sat about 5 feet from him. He tore it up on and Epi V, Mexican Tele and a Gibby SG Special. He played Elizabeth Reed. B0ner.

Or we could discuss - What pickups should I buy, What Les Paul is better, How much does my guitar weight, What J-45 should I buy, Does this look infected ect ect?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I don't have a favorite Beatles album. I have favorite songs from all across their time together. Also, I believe that, for me, a great deal of what I feel about their stuff is wrapped up in nostalgia for that time and place. I grew up in the NE of England through the 60's into the 70's.

• Like 1

Interesting that it took the aftermath of a World War to create an environment where four young class oriented men could create songs that teenage women would go crazy over. When the Beatles first appeared on the air waves I collected their 45's as they came out, I think Sgt. Pepper's was a big change that shocked us as to what rock music was and what could be expected. Playing in a garage band at the time, we wondered what we were supposed to do now, doing their covers was usually taboo and replicating studio compositions was very difficult, but we tried anyway...

Over time I collected 'The Beatles Complete Songbooks', the recent publishing I have noticed updated chord changes that seem to be much more logical, making them much easier to play.

Edited by mihcmac