Gibson Brands Forums

What is your favorite Beatles album?

Sgt. Pepper

I can't say I love everything the Beatles did. Though there are some works that I love.

I can't say that I dislike everything the Beatles did, but there are some I definitely dislike (Revolution 9 anyone?)

There are only 2 kinds of music.

1) Good music (stuff I like)

2) Music made for someone else's ears (stuff they like)

Much of it falls in both categories.

Bob

1 minute ago, Notes_Norton said:

I can't say I love everything the Beatles did. Though there are some works that I love.

I can't say that I dislike everything the Beatles did, but there are some I definitely dislike (Revolution 9 anyone?)

There are only 2 kinds of music.

1) Good music (stuff I like)

2) Music made for someone else's ears (stuff they like)

Much of it falls in both categories.

Bob

I've said statement 1 and 2  many times. 

Rev #9, if you read one of my post, I called it LSD fueled sh!t.

I think it is laughable how much Revolution #9  has been mentioned in this thread.  All that they did, and they are getting beat up for one experimental track?  It is not even that bad  of a mixture of different musical snippets, and I think it actually is an okay listen that fits within the realm of the what the White Album was.  Is it a great work?  Not to me, but it is not the worst track ever created either (at least to me).  Is it Eleanor Rigby or I Am The Walrus?  No, of course not ... it was never intended to be, though.   

25 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

I think it is laughable how much Revolution #9  has been mentioned in this thread.  All that they did, and they are getting beat up for one experimental track?  It is not even that bad  of a mixture of different musical snippets, and I think it actually is an okay listen that fits within the realm of the what the White Album was.  Is it a great work?  Not to me, but it is not the worst track ever created either (at least to me).  Is it Eleanor Rigby or I Am The Walrus?  No, of course not ... it was never intended to be, though.   

Alot of Rev. #9 came out of a jam and snipets of stupid nonsensical LSD fueled hysteria, and I think maybe by then John though it was a good life choice to start using Horse. 

Blackbird. Absolutely one of the greatest songs of all time. I sat for days and days to learn it. The side 2 Abbey Road Medley. On the 50th Ann. Edition, there is a rough mix with Her Majesty where it was intended and the first time I heard it through me, cause I'm not used to it being there. She's Leaving Home, just beautiful. I heard Paul was out in LA and played it for Brian Wilson on the piano or an acetate he had and I think Paul said Brain was scared and knew it would not be long  and that the Beach Boys days were numbered. Cause After Pet Sound Brian lost his mind and they were never the same again. Come Together is one of my all time favs. Shoot Me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The first time I heard the Beatles they were new and in a sense I grew up with them and experienced the changes of the era. We used to cruse Sunset in the mid sixties, amazed at the wall to wall people living on the street and when I got to the Haight, it was the same way. There was a lot of experimentation during that time, Arthur Brown used set his hair on fire. People were tripping on a massive scale and no rules, head shops every where, everyone was there to experience the moment. The Beatles were going along for the ride.

Zappa wrote the following....

What's there to live for?
Who needs the Peace Corps?
Think I'll just drop out
I'll go to Frisco
Buy a wig and sleep on Owsley's floor

Walked past the wig store
Danced at the Fillmore
I'm completely stoned
I'm hippy and I'm trippy
I'm a gypsy on my own
I'll stay a week & get the crabs & take a bus back home
I'm really just a phony
But forgive me 'cause I'm stoned

Every town must have a place

Where phony hippies meet

Psychedelic dungeons

Popping up on every street
Go to San Francisco

6 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Correct me if I am wrong ... but aren't Eleanor Rigby and She's Leaving Home  the only two tracks where there are no Beatles playing any musical instruments?

Rigby yes and She's Leaving Home probably. Is George playing anything on Within You Without You or is it all Indian musicians?

2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The first time I heard the Beatles they were new and in a sense I grew up with them and experienced the changes of the era. We used to cruse Sunset in the mid sixties, amazed at the wall to wall people living on the street and when I got to the Haight, it was the same way. There was a lot of experimentation during that time, Arthur Brown used set his hair on fire. People were tripping on a massive scale and no rules, head shops every where, everyone was there to experience the moment. The Beatles were going along for the ride.

Zappa wrote the following....

What's there to live for?
Who needs the Peace Corps?
Think I'll just drop out
I'll go to Frisco
Buy a wig and sleep on Owsley's floor

Walked past the wig store
Danced at the Fillmore
I'm completely stoned
I'm hippy and I'm trippy
I'm a gypsy on my own
I'll stay a week & get the crabs & take a bus back home
I'm really just a phony
But forgive me 'cause I'm stoned

Every town must have a place

Where phony hippies meet

Psychedelic dungeons

Popping up on every street
Go to San Francisco

We're Only In It For The Money is my fav '65 - '68  Zappa  era, after that Hot Rats, Apostrophe and it could go on.

2 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

2 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

I always thought George was playing on that track with them.  I will be really disappointed if I find out other wise...   LOL   :   (

George Harrison and the Asian Music Circle, according to wiki -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Within_You_Without_You

"Revolution #9" is the most well-known piece of electronic music in the world and over the years has acquired quite a cachet in those circles.....

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is okay.  J-45's are not mine but for some reason people love em.

Had I been there, it probably would have been different. Lemmy from Motorhead, of all people, who was there back in the day, always said they were the best band in the world ever, bar none.

And he knew bars.

Edited by Pinch
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've said statement 1 and 2  many times. 

Rev #9, if you read one of my post, I called it LSD fueled sh!t.

There are a few others I don't care for but #9 is the 'poster boy'. Rocky Racoon, Wild Honey Pie, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, some of the early work, especially the Ringo Starr vocals, and I thought their last release (Let It Be) was listenable but rather dull. But that's all personal taste.

In many of the songs that I just don't care for I appreciate the songwriting. The Beatles had a habit of making short, concise B sections that took me from the tonic key so well that on first listening I didn't realize it until the return to the A section.

Notes

13 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

The rooftop concert was awesome, here is some that didn't get released 

Get Up And Go Back Home. 

As a Beatles fan you got it or were enraged with it. I laughed my @ss off watching it. Saw it last year for the first time probably since the 80's. Yoko as a Nazi was priceless. I think it said her father invented WWII in the Mockumentary.  

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I like all of the Beatle albums but for different reasons, a lot of songs I just like to listen to and a thin list of rocky ones I like to play. Yesterday, at my my weekend jam, I played Come Together, I Want You (in drop D) and Jo Jo. 

As a kid in the ‘60s, I was much more into the blues-oriented early releases by the Stones, Yardbirds, Animals, Kinks, Them (Van Morrison), etc.  Imho, the Beatles were more Bubble-Gummish by comparison.

However when Rubber Soul came out (US version), it hooked me in & it remains my favorite Beatles album.

I think growing up with their work as it was released would tend to strike the listener quite differently, compared to having it all in front of you at once in the ‘70s or later.

18 minutes ago, bobouz said:

I think growing up with their work as it was released would tend to strike the listener quite differently, compared to having it all in front of you at once in the ‘70s or later.

Your prolly right. When I got into them at the age of 11 or 12 all their albums were out and they were broken up by about 7 years.

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your prolly right. When I got into them at the age of 11 or 12 all their albums were out and they were broken up by about 7 years.

Are You a ZappaFan?  The ZappaFan?

rct