Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone DR500MCE | I have 2 questions.

PeteMarko

1. Epiphones are often modeled after a Gibson, so  which guitar is the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE modeled after?.

2. My guitar is new so it still has the original strings. I have a few packets of D'addario EJ16's  and will try them first. But does anyone have any comments about their preferences in regards to strings for the DR500MCE?

Pete

Pete,

The Masterbilt DR series (I have a few) are standard dred sized guitars of course,  The AJ's were modeled after the slope-shoulder Gibson J45. When they first came out in the early 2000's the line was really well balanced and in my opinion, was one of the more attractive guitar lines out there, offering many options and body styles. It has regressed somewhat. Personally, I would only buy a 2006-ish model (preferably in the humidified case). Those guitars seem to the the zenith of the line's quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Epi and Gibson seem to be in such a transition that their web sites cannot keep up.

The Gibson Hummingbird is short scale, while the Dove is 25.5. The Dove seems to be maple back and sides, while the DR-500MCE is 25.5 scale with mahogany. I am probably mistaken, but I though the Dove also came in mahogany as well.....but....really do not remember. 

So, IMHO...the DR-500MCE seems to be more along the Dove line of Gibson's. The Sheryl Crow Western Supreme is mahogany, but short scale and no cutaway. 

All in all, the Masterbilt DR-500MCE is a great guitar, with unique features. If I am not mistaken, it has the Shadow 2 system...so...piezo and magnetic pickups...very nice. Cutaway, which a lot prefer. I had one....liked it a lot, played and sounded great, but, did not fully appreciate the pickup system...was not playing out then....so...sold it to a pro...who loved it and wanted to use it for gigs, instead of his more expensive guitars. I think he valued the pickup system as well.