Gibson Brands Forums

New to Gibson-A Blueshawk owner

barstowporter

After playing nothing but Fender for 20 years I just bought a 1996 Blueshawk and I adore it.   There is something about Gibson quality that stands out from the crowd and I have always used my tone controls quite a bit, so the Varitone circuit was made to order.  The Blueshawk is now my favorite guitar.

I am interested in talking with other members as to anything Gibson and Blueshawks in particular.   I am an experienced guitar and amp tech, but I am very hesitant to modify this amazing guitar.  The only thing it could use is a slightly hotter bridge pickup.  Thoughts?

Edited by barstowporter
finish sentence
  • Like 3

On 1/2/2020 at 11:13 AM, barstowporter said:

After playing nothing but Fender for 20 years I just bought a 1996 Blueshawk and I adore it.   There is something about Gibson quality that stands out from the crowd and I have always used my tone controls quite a bit, so the Varitone circuit was made to order.  The Blueshawk is now my favorite guitar.

I am interested in talking with other members as to anything Gibson and Blueshawks in particular.   I am an experienced guitar and amp tech, but I am very hesitant to modify this amazing guitar.  The only thing it could use is a slightly hotter bridge pickup.  Thoughts?

The Blueshawk is a fine guitar. I want to get one. I’m thinning out my Gretsch collection so maybe I will get one. As far as a bridge pickup. Maybe a Seymour Duncan?

jayguitar. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 6:13 AM, barstowporter said:

Welcome to the Gibson forum.. I also have a 97 Gibson BluesHawk and a 2015 Epiphone Blueshawk. The Blues 90 pickups are a little different from regular P90's, the Poles are magnets where the P90 has 2 large opposing magnets inside with adjustable poles. The Blues 90 is designed to react more like a Jazzmaster's pickup, for a bluesy jazzy sound. One of the most common upgrades is to put standard P90's which can really turn the BluesHawk into a monster. But be aware that the bridge and neck pickups are in opposite polarities, which is part of how the hum-canceling works. Most aftermarket P90's have sets that are in opposite polarity. You can check the polarity by simply placing a compass nest to the pickups.

There are a lot more posts on BluesHawks in the Gibson USA forum....

Below is my modified Epiphone Blueshawk that comes stock with standard P90's.

zJcPhzW.jpg

Enjoy......

Edited by mihcmac