Gibson Brands Forums

'49 Gibson L7 (Unfinished)

VinnieDaArm

My Uncle (who was a stellar luthier here in our area) has had my dad's '49 L7 (label shows serial number A-2746) for quite some time to refinish it.  Back in February of 2019 he passed away. Two months later my dad passed away as well. I now have the guitar and have NO idea what to do with it. I hate for it to just sit in my house for ever (I have plenty of guitars already) as it seems pretty cool. No hardware, unfinished at this point. I thought before I started calling around to have it refinished to find if it is even worth it.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

If you’re looking to sell it, you’d be better off auctioning it as is. It’s lost any collector value from it being stripped. And the fretboard has been replaced. I doubt you’d recoup what the refinish would cost. Best to let someone else use it as the base for a custom finish. 

The bridge parts and tuners are gone?  Not impossible or that expensive to get. I think the finish is appropriate for a guitar that age, so that would be wasting money, but I think it would be interesting to at least get it usable, better for selling.

How'd you know the fretboard was replaced, K?

Dave

He didn't mention replacing the fretboard. Could have happened before he bought in the mid-50s. No other parts. I have his '59 (I think it was '59) Byrdland too. I'm keeping that baby as it was his main guitar since the mid-60s. 🙂 My kids have my dad's others. All of my uncle's stuff was auctioned off by his sons. He was an amazing luthier, but no way to get anything anymore. 😢 You  can hear the Byrdland here, but not much. My uncle (the bassist in my dad's band) always cranked it. That is my dad's horn section along with a few pieces of Ike Turner's. My dad and he were friends and hung out a lot together back in the day. Mom is singing.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:28 PM, ksdaddy said:

L7s had split parallelograms starting earlier in the 40s. Not sure exactly when but definitely all post war models. 

The fretboards were also bound with white ivoroid, like the headstocks, so this is a new fretboard. (I had a 1947 L-7, serial number A-235.)

The L-7 P, (cutaway) like this one are worth more than the non-cutaway L-7. Since some of these were natural tops rather than sunburst, it will not have lost as much value as normal if the top has been stripped. The fact that it is an L-7 P helps a lot.

It actually looks like there is clear finish on the top. If that is the case, just leave it like it is.