Gibson Brands Forums

Delta Blues

uncle fester

Trying to catch a little of BK-itis I've been looking at some delta blues and found this one done on what looks like a J45, but the pickguard is throwing me.  The playing starts at 2 minutes and goes to 4 - IMO it's very cool.  Thought some of you might like it, for the playing and the J45 demo.

The rest is a lesson that should be occupying some of my time in the near future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

Trying to catch a little of BK-itis I've been looking at some delta blues and found this one done on what looks like a J45, but the pickguard is throwing me.  The playing starts at 2 minutes and goes to 4 - IMO it's very cool.  Thought some of you might like it, for the playing and the J45 demo.

The rest is a lesson that should be occupying some of my time in the near future.

It looks like an LG-2, probably from the mid 1950's. Still has the rectangular bridge, but has a 20-fret neck and a batwing pickguard.

There was, of course, no such thing as a J45 or LG 1/2/3 when Son House, Charlie Patton, Willie Brown and Louise Johnson talked gospel singer Wheeler Ford into driving them from Mississippi to Grafton, Wisconsin where they ended up in a marathon recording session for Paramount Records/

Anyway, here is some inspiration for ya.  Scrapper  Blackwell  was known as a solo artist and for his duets with pianist Leroy Carr in the 1920s and 1930s..  Reviving his career in the late 1950s this was recorded shortly before he was murdered during a mugging.  

Edited by zombywoof

7 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

If you want to sound like BK777, you are in luck!

Just send a small fee of $5 million dollars to my account and I will show you an E blues.

But seriously, just go to Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop, buy the starter blues kit. (“Fingerpicking Guitar Techniques” DVDs taught by Stefan Grossman himself!). Brilliant, simple stuff with videos, old original recordings and paperwork to learn, trick your right hand in to some form of fingerpicking while your mind is tortured with all the left hand stuff..... And when you have all that down pat, not as long as going the long way around to a dead end you could be following above, then he has lessons for the next steps.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777