Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (Non- Gibson, But Holy ....)

Sgt. Pepper

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I did not post it in the Acoustic side, cause its not a J-45 and I didn't want to get beaten up.

LOL!  I don't think that would happen sarge, there's a lot of Martin+Gibson owners over there

that is a beauty, congrats on a nice score.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

LOL!  I don't think that would happen sarge, there's a lot of Martin+Gibson owners over there

that is a beauty, congrats on a nice score.

Yeah that Murph guy seems to think J-45 or nothing. Played them and not wowed by them especially for the price.  Now I'm prolly gonna start a fight or something.  I did own a J-15 and for the price it was decent, but it is what it is, and the one I had you could tell and I understand at that price, Gibson doesn't put the effort into it  a J-45 gets. I will say one thing. Martin can not finish a top to save its life. Gibbys are far superior it the burst department as compared to I think the die hard Martin guys say they are  called shade tops. 

This is like an entire new level. It has the same tone wood as the D-28 and D-35, but has scalloped bracing and is a hot rod. The difference is really noticeable. I could live without the abalone inlay, but that is what steps it  up to a 40 series. My only negs are I'm not a fan of gold hardware, and it has Schaller Grand Tune tuners in gold, and I not a fan of pick-guards that are not black. But I'm over that now.  Oh and a guitar priced as such comes with plastic pins. So, I'll get an ebony set in a week or so. My D-18 came with ebony ones.

I think I am done with acoustics. I am  now seriously considering selling the D-28 and D-18.  Keeping the 000-28, D-15M (the take anywhere guitar) and the 12'er.  The 42's are super nice, but the difference is more abalone on the top and also on the back, the 41 has none on the back, and the 42 has different inlays, and of course about $1200 more. I like the 41 inlays much better. And a 45 is even pimp-y-er, at just under 9k.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

Very nice .  I'm familiar with D18 / 28s...  not familiar with the 41 but it does look like a blinged out version.  what are the specs.  scale, nut, tonewood?  

Inlaid in stunning abalone pearl and appointed with gold tuners, it's more than a Dreadnought: it's an heirloom. Premium East Indian rosewood and Sitka spruce combined with hand-carved scalloped bracing to produce rich, powerful, complex tone. Also available in Sunburst and Ambertone finish. That's Martin's , not my words.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series/d-41/

Instead of writing it all out, it might just be easier to go to the link.

It doesn't sound like my 28 or 35, I had (same tonewood), and of course nothing like an 18.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know you are not a dread guy, but this thing is all that and 2 bags of chips.

I am not a dread guy.  But one day I will come home with a D-35 just because I need one.  41 or 45 is just too much for a 0000/000 guy.  

Enjoy that 41.  Like Fenders and Gibsons, you never regret spending money on a great Martin.

rct

Just now, rct said:

I am not a dread guy.  But one day I will come home with a D-35 just because I need one.  41 or 45 is just too much for a 0000/000 guy.  

Enjoy that 41.  Like Fenders and Gibsons, you never regret spending money on a great Martin.

rct

The 35 I had was a fantastic guitar and do not regret having it or trading it. My 12er is a Martin's J body, same as a 0000.

2 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Yes, an awesome guitar.  Wow, actually ... But are you gonna let your 13-year-old nephew play it that wants to show you he just learned how to play "Enter Sandman"??  

My son plays guitar and my stepson plays guitar one is 20 and one is 22 and I don't even think either one of them are going to get to look at it.

15 hours ago, bobouz said:

Congrats on a lovely guitar!

Oh, and welcome back!

My dreams were my ticket out.

So I am definitely selling the D-28 and D-18 (the 18 is already on Reverb and the 28 I will be taking pics and posting prolly  tonight).  Keeping the D-15M (my beater and go anywhere I don't care guitar), 000-28 (a really cool small body guit and I will take this anywhere too) and the J12-16GT (a present from my wife and only 12'er) and of course the 41. The 18 and 28 are fantastic but I don't need them I just wanted them.  I'm not a pro or a gigger so really I don't need any.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

What you really need is one of those Martin Backpackers.  

I went TAD to a Coast Guard Cutter when the Earthquake hit Haiti. A guy had one one the ship. It was absolute trash and sounded like a piece of poo.

• Like 1