Gibson Brands Forums

Is This Legit - J-45 ?

BoSoxBiker

OK...go ahead and buy it, have it shipped to me.  I'll figure out how to get it over to you.  My uncles work in shipping, so to speak.  They say we can go through Nick, who's right on the water.  We'd both love to A-B with ours.

So you're fixating on yours, playing it most often?  I'm stuck on mine right now, too.

2 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

But at that price, plus CITES etc, delivery, import cost, won’t ever happen.

I think my 2002 looks older.

Just a reminder- as JT confirmed for me when getting the J-185 TV Nat sent in from Japan, the CITES parties created an exemption for finished musical instruments that contain Appendix II species (all rosewoods except for Brazilian). That exemption went into effect on November 26, 2019. A guitar will, however, need to have a TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) certification, sent by either the buyer or the seller. Not a biggie.

. . . but does your 2002 sound older, too ? 😎

4 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Just a reminder- as JT confirmed for me when getting the J-185 TV Nat sent in from Japan, the CITES parties created an exemption for finished musical instruments that contain Appendix II species (all rosewoods except for Brazilian). That exemption went into effect on November 26, 2019. A guitar will, however, need to have a TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) certification, sent by either the buyer or the seller. Not a biggie.

. . . but does your 2002 sound older, too ? 😎

The problem is that Gibson prior to about 1969 used Brazilian for fretboards and bridges. Not 100% sure when the change was made, but the fretboard they put on my original 1950 J-45 as part of a repair in 1968 is pretty clearly Brazilian. My luthier said it is as well. But this was also not part of the Kalamazoo production line, so other guitars from the same time might have other rosewood.

5 minutes ago, j45nick said:

The problem is that Gibson prior to about 1969 used Brazilian for fretboards and bridges. Not 100% sure when the change was made, but the fretboard they put on my original 1950 J-45 as part of a repair in 1968 is pretty clearly Brazilian. My luthier said it is as well. But this was also not part of the Kalamazoo production line, so other guitars from the same time might have other rosewood.

Party pooper.😉. Oh yeah, that's right. Never can tell when Braz shows up on bridges. . . there is a '95 Birdseye AJ here with one.

Mostly just planting the idea in BK's head for future reference, as he's been particularly gassy lately.

30 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Party pooper.😉. Oh yeah, that's right. Never can tell when Braz shows up on bridges. . . there is a '95 Birdseye AJ here with one.

Mostly just planting the idea in BK's head for future reference, as he's been particularly gassy lately.

You're just winding poor BK up. You know he has a permanent case of gas that can only be temporarily mitigated.

Here is the CITES paragraph from a Folkways sale:

Instruments shipped outside of Canada that are partially constructed of CITES-listed materials such as rosewood or ivory are subject to CITES, and require proper Export Permits. We acquire CITES Permits for all cross-border shipments of such instruments, without exception. The process is simple and straightforward, and does not require anything of the recipient unless an Import Permit is also required by the destination country. CITES permitting turn-around times are generally between 2 to 6 weeks, although there are no guarantees of wait-time length. We levy a small fee for the permitting process.

So, pay for guitar in full and wait indeterminate time for permit, plus delivery and Customs here?

Elderly in US has same arrangement. (they DO have great paperwork to enable easy Customs broking....most times!)

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Hopefully Folkway and Elderly are aware of the change made effective on 11-26-19 for finished instruments containing non-Brazilian spp., but as Nick mentioned, any of the older guitars may very well contain Brazilian, so the point is moot. And pawn shop finds (rescues?) are more fun.

Edited by 62burst

I have never seen a decent brand acoustic at a pawn shop, but years ago, I was playing a Samick dread in another pawn shop while the Boss was buying a floor rug next door. She caught up with me and asked how much the guitar was. “$138”. No kidding, she replied, that’s how much the cheapo rug I bought was! And she bought the guitar for me! Which started a thing in the back of the ancient lizard brain......keep an eye on the pawn shops! But until recent dumping of a number of Gibson acoustics, 2 of which I bought, well,  there has been nothing for years. And now I have 2! Lizard brain is scanning, scanning, scanning.😐

The Samick went to an old friend of the family who intended to learn a few chords to strum along with his grandson and his new guitar. Have not heard much about it lately.

Oh, Elderly will be right on the new rules, 62B, don’t worry about that!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777