Gibson Brands Forums

"Care and Feeding"

suburude63

"The most critical time for an acoustic guitar is the first 3-5 years. If [temperature and humidity exposure] has been well controlled and stabilized during that time then it is far less likely to ever have problems. That is why most vintage instruments are less likely to respond to humidity changes than a new guitar would be."

Cracks from dryness and belly roll from dampness can happen in a guitar at any age. Whoever advised you that you could paddle a canoe with your guitar in year six then leave it out to dry in direct desert sun without consequence was misleading you.

I realize I am exaggerating the situation, but I have often seen cracks and bracing shifts happen in guitars that were well established - most recently someone brought a 1930s guitar to me that had been fine all its life until it lived in a really dry house for a year. It was a mess - $1500 restoration and $400 shipping to get it to a qualified tech.

It is true that finishes reach their maximum hardness around five years of age and glue is indeed very well set with no internal moisture and less flexibility. I am not trying to undermine your post, just trying to tweak the facts to be more clear.

Proper humidification/dehumidifying to keep your guitar as near 50% RH at all times is a best practice and a good idea.

Archived