Gibson Brands Forums

ToneRite

LarryUK

The graph toward the end of the video bore out what I thought I heard, which was a drop off of the higher end frequencies.  Maybe that's something you want, or maybe it's not?

However the slight difference in the guitar's tone is nothing like what I have experienced with a guitar "opening up" over time.  

Let me say first, that I have no scientific proof at all.  But I have experienced an acoustic guitar (and semi hollow electric) getting louder and more responsive over time and I would attribute it to the wood drying out allowing it to vibrate more.  This device just vibrates the guitar simulating playing it for 168 hours straight in this case, but only drying out for 8 days which is years less than it takes for a guitar to open up.

Electric solid body guitars are not effected in my opinion because they are entirely sealed in a nitro finish.  Only the fretboard is unprotected by finish and if it dries out too much you get fret sprout as the wood shrinks a little.  Whereas an acoustic is not finished on the inside, and air gets in through the sound hole (or f-holes in the case of a semi-hollow) to gradually dry it out.

As I said no scientific evidence on my part - just 50+ years of playing guitars and hearing how they change.

Great video, by the way, thanks for the effort.

• Like 2

I remember seeing a post about tonerite a few days ago, it was quite lengthy , and also i *think* i remember reading that tonerite didnt work on laminated guitars (??) might be wrong

i havent tried this product, it would be an ok experiment, but im old skool and would prefer to play the guitar until it opens up naturally, but i think its ok if someone wants to accelerate this process

I had one once. I put it on and used it continuously for  2 weeks. I made the near fatal mistake of thinking well if a little works then a lot will work even better. It warped my neck and it was not fixable with a truss rod adjustment. Gibson replaced the guitar for me. It may actually work but I highly recommend not doing what I did. I would follow directions carefully.

Call me what you will, just telling the truth.

4 hours ago, FemmeParallell said:

I remember seeing a post about tonerite a few days ago, it was quite lengthy , and also i *think* i remember reading that tonerite didnt work on laminated guitars (??) might be wrong

i havent tried this product, it would be an ok experiment, but im old skool and would prefer to play the guitar until it opens up naturally, but i think its ok if someone wants to accelerate this process

I want to agree with you, but I have always played electric. I have always had acoustics in my arsenal, but I never played them enough for them to "open up".  Now that I have received a Martin for Christmas, I find myself in a new situation in the guitar world. Totally different world... I'm considering this ToneRite because I know I will never put the time in to " open it up". However to pay that price to use it once...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Let me say first, that I have no scientific proof at all.  But I have experienced an acoustic guitar (and semi hollow electric) getting louder and more responsive over time and I would attribute it to the wood drying out allowing it to vibrate more.  This device just vibrates the guitar simulating playing it for 168 hours straight in this case, but only drying out for 8 days which is years less than it takes for a guitar to open up.

For all I know, you are right about the drying out, but as you've observed, this is a different principle. The theory is that vibration will produced the desired aged tonal effect. 

When I bought my Fylde acoustic in the '70s, Roger Bucknall told me about tonal improvement across years of playing too (from playing vibration).  Well I've used that guitar for nearly 50 years. Does it sound better? I think so, but it sounded good new too, and its difficult to think back to how something sounded 50 years ago. Also, my ears are not as good now. I cant hear all the nuances I could when I was younger. 

I think this theory is from classical stringed instruments. How violins & cellos improve with age and use. I did keep my violin in a wardrobe with a radio on for some months after 1st getting it. 

16 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I want to agree with you, but I have always played electric. I have always had acoustics in my arsenal, but I never played them enough for them to "open up".  Now that I have received a Martin for Christmas, I find myself in a new situation in the guitar world. Totally different world... I'm considering this ToneRite because I know I will never put the time in to " open it up". However to pay that price to use it once...

Me too, i play more electric than acoustic, they only guitar i had long enough and played a lot was a beginners Alvarez i dont have anymore, that one did open up but i mean it was a beginner's guitar hehe

Congrats on getting a Martin! i wonder if the putting the guitar near a loud speaker method that ppl talk about works, maybe you can try that and save money ! hehe