Gibson Brands Forums

Ricky Gervais

Sgt. Pepper

I didn't watch it last night except for the monologue but if anybody saw Ricky Gervais's monologue for the Golden Globes it was hysterical he basically told Hollywood to go stick it everybody was mortified.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, duane v said:

I dunno...... 

To me if one feels they have to be vulgar and graceless to be funny, then it’s not..... But to each their own. 

He's a comedian. They have been doing it since people have been comedians.

49 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Somebody needed to say it.

I'm just saying...

Exactly. He was spot on. None of those rich windbags are in touch with reality. They get told how great they are all day long and I am sure they believe it. They live a totally different life than we do. At least he had the cohune's to do it. How about Sharon Osbourne. Correct me If I'm wrong but isn't she English. And she is over here on an American TV show telling us why we are good or bad and expressing her view on a show called The Talk. Go back to England and talk smack about the country you were born in.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

We all live totally different lives than each other...... Imagine what a homeless person might think of me purchasing a $1600 guitar, while he or she is sleeping outside in the cold.

i just think this Ricky individual is no better than who he ridicules.... As I’m sure there are plenty telling him “how great he is all day long.”

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, duane v said:

We all live totally different lives than each other...... Imagine what a homeless person might think of me purchasing a $1600 guitar, while he or she is sleeping outside in the cold.

i just think this Ricky individual is no better than who he ridicules.... As I’m sure there are plenty telling him “how great he is all day long.”

Your right, but you're also not telling the homeless to go out an buy a $1600 guitar and thinking they are fools for not doing so.

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, duane v said:

I dunno...... 

To me if one feels they have to be vulgar and graceless to be funny, then it’s not..... But to each their own. 

Do you mean as opposed to being vulgar and graceless in order to not be funny and try to push people around? I wish that these halfwits who make their living playing dress up and make believe would just mind their own damned business and stop slagging the country which has allowed them to be millionaires and given them the ability to express their opinions without putting their lives on the line.  Okay, I'm done now and am eagerly awaiting reprisal and deletion...

Edited by G Mac
  • Like 1

Actors, musicians, politicians and activists with a big enough stage to pontificate will voice their views in hopes of receiving some support whether it is blind or going in with eyes wide open.

My thing is where was this Ricky character a month ago.???? He could have said the same thing but didn’t, which makes me question his sincerity.  I’m sure that $1,000,000 check for hosting the show was the main factor in him not saying anything prior.

High profile musicians and actors are pretty much cut out of the same cookie cutter. I enjoy them for their talent and hard work, but I don’t focus on their personal beliefs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, duane v said:

Actors, musicians, politicians and activists with a big enough stage to pontificate will voice their views in hopes of receiving some support whether it is blind or going in with eyes wide open.

My thing is where was this Ricky character a month ago.???? He could have said the same thing but didn’t, which makes me question his sincerity.  I’m sure that $1,000,000 check for hosting the show was the main factor in him not saying anything prior.

High profile musicians and actors are pretty much cut out of the same cookie cutter. I enjoy them for their talent and hard work, but I don’t focus on their personal beliefs.

Agreed!

22 minutes ago, duane v said:

He was on the original English - and IMHO the better and funnier The Office. He is English too and has a carrier. He's been in movies, TV and does voice overs  and stuff like all the actor types do. He has a show on Netflix as he alluded to and as he said it go picked up for a second season.

Your an actor, your job is being a fake person and getting paid for it. So your area of expertise is acting not politics. If you want to be in politics stop what your doing and run or office, if not shut up and stop telling me what I should or should not do. I'm 53, got my self this far in life without listening to what Bruce Springsteen or any actor wants to shove down my throat.

Also he has been hosting just what we need another awards(The Golden Globes) show for rich people for the last 5 or so years, but I am sure he is not next year.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, duane v said:

He wasn’t funny to me..... it more sounded like a drunk windbag at a local watering hole.... So maybe in that setting it might have been...... well cute....

I quit paying attention to anything the Hollyweird types had to say a long time ago.   They’re nothing but a bunch of halfwits who’s claim to fame is earning a living to pretend to be people they’re not.  They ride around in limousines and fly around in private jets with their entourage of sycophants, at the same time lecturing the “unwashed masses” on what they should think and how they should live.   Nothing but noise.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tx-ogre said:

I quit paying attention to anything the Hollyweird types had to say a long time ago.   They’re nothing but a bunch of halfwits who’s claim to fame is earning a living to pretend to be people they’re not.  They ride around in limousines and fly around in private jets with their entourage of sycophants, at the same time lecturing the “unwashed masses” on what they should think and how they should live.   Nothing but noise.

Agreed whole heartedly. And don't get me started on Bono.

4 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Beatles did the same thing

2 minutes ago, duane v said:

True.  And while I listened to their music (not a huge fan), I didn’t pay attention to their political tripe back then any more than I pay attention to today’s celebrities political tripe.

4 minutes ago, duane v said:

I was 4 when they broke up so I did not get to hear any of their yapping. I just listen to them. Love their music but none of them were nice people. Paul maybe the nicest of the bunch, but they all did bad stuff to each other and cheated and other stuff. I don't think they are angels, just people who made music I like.

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was 4 when they broke up so I did not get to hear any of their yapping. I just listen to them. Love their music but none of them were nice people. Paul maybe the nicest of the bunch, but they all did bad stuff to each other and cheated and other stuff. I don't think they are angels, just people who made music I like.

The Beatles were my music teachers, as I’m sure some  of these great actors are teachers for up and coming actors. I’m not ashamed to say I looked up to them in my youth or in my old age, despite their beliefs or miscues.... Nobody is perfect.

I’m sure they all worked their butts off to get where they are today.... Like them or not, I’m sure a magic Jeanie just didn’t show up to them in the middle of the night and gave them the ability to be world class entertainers overnight..... and the same for this Ricky character despite his misplaced self absorbing monologue.

32 minutes ago, duane v said:

The Beatles were my music teachers, as I’m sure some  of these great actors are teachers for up and coming actors. I’m not ashamed to say I looked up to them in my youth or in my old age, despite their beliefs or miscues.... Nobody is perfect.

I’m sure they all worked their butts off to get where they are today.... Like them or not, I’m sure a magic Jeanie just didn’t show up to them in the middle of the night and gave them the ability to be world class entertainers overnight..... and the same for this Ricky character despite his misplaced self absorbing monologue.

Your right. But in this day and age I'm sick and tired of people who I don't know and don't know me think I'm to stupid to make an informed decision on my own. I got the job I work at without anyone from Hollywood or a musician, graduated college, served in the military, got married, had kids, bought and sold guitars, all without their help or advise. If you want to listen to them and take their advise you are more that welcome to. I'm not interested. You can't turn on the TV without it being rammed down our throat. So for someone in the business to call them out, makes me smile. Even if he is one of them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper