Gibson Brands Forums

Ricky Gervais

Sgt. Pepper

Never have liked shaming comedy, especially when the one doing the shaming is drinking from the exact same trough.

Additionally, a lot of those folks he's shaming choose to give back to society in meaningful ways.  Does he?  Like any group of people with wealth, such as pro sports stars, some use their gobs of money to generously give back to their communities & others do not.

Imho, trying to paint any group of people with the same brush misses the mark badly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Slapping a girl in the face for dancing with someone at a party that would one day become your 1st wife is leading by example? I guess it is if you preach slapping girls in the face.

Good point. However he wasn't preaching "don't slap ladies in the face" at us. Just other things that I do not care to get into. 

Edited by Big Bill

3 hours ago, bobouz said:

Never have liked shaming comedy, especially when the one doing the shaming is drinking from the exact same trough.

Additionally, a lot of those folks he's shaming choose to give back to society in meaningful ways.  Does he?  Like any group of people with wealth, such as pro sports stars, some use their gobs of money to generously give back to their communities & others do not.

Imho, trying to paint any group of people with the same brush misses the mark badly.

Yeah, we all know that generalizing about a group of people larger than 2 is always wrong.  But ignoring the obvious is as well.  It is painfully obvious from the political speeches that take place at these "Awards" ceremonies - that In General - they  virally attack conservative politicians.  This is the first time an insider did the opposite.  Ever hear the term "You'll never work in this town again."?  I guarantee you he's heard it 100 times in the past 48 hours.  

My favorite line from a Hollywood Actor  "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV."   

If what some guys says on TV bothers you, maybe you're already bothered about something else.  There's guys on TV saying bad stuff about somebody 24/7.  If the guy made fun of somebody for being a loser, a bad husband or father or a hack musician, what do I care, unless I'm already on thin ice with myself?  At least he's funny.

• Like 1

personally... I think none of these people live in the same reality we do.  and I certainly am tired of hearing the BS from Actors (who make a living pretending to be some one else) and some of these musicians and other "Hollywood Elitist" on their political leanings and beliefs,...  None of them live like we do and I don't need to hear what their opinion is,  I just don't care...  I feel bad for the people who can't think for themselves.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kidblast said:

personally... I think none of these people live in the same reality we do.  and I certainly am tired of hearing the BS from Actors (who make a living pretending to be some one else) and some of these musicians and other "Hollywood Elitist" on their political leanings and beliefs,...  None of them live like we do and I don't need to hear what their opinion is,  I just don't care...  I feel bad for the people who can't think for themselves.

one of my favorite quotes :

"Just the fact that Don Henley is for ANYTHING, is reason enough for me to be against it" - Alice Kooper

I didn't see it either because I don't watch any of those "awards" shows but heard about it after the fact and read the dialogue. I personally like his humor and have seen him a few times. He may or may not be "one of us" but he's surely not a Hollywood elite.  I lived in Hollywood for a while and it's not just the actors there that are cookie cutter followers and band wagon jumpers. If one person likes it or does it, the whole town is buzzing about it and following suit.  At least that's the way it was in '89 to '91. From what I've seen and heard, it's only gotten worse. Celebrities, to me, aren't people to be looked up to and followed just because of what they say. I may appreciate their work but I don't idolize them.

So, how about those NFL Playoffs?

Wow, guy was very direct but most of the stuff he said are the ugly truth..i didnt see this vid until now, cuz i dont like ppl being bully of others, so funny wise i didnt find it funny, but i did find it interesting

edit. I understand no one wants someone else to tell us what to do, i dont like that either, but i have found ppl my generation (im 38) to be careless about the world affairs and environment, and be totally absorbed by their phone and tv. Maybe older folks or mature persons will find this dumb, because they are informed, but trust me that they are reaching out to persons how are totally clueless or careless (and that they dont care about forming their own opinion). Maybe things are different in the US, but here in Mexico, people are 99% uninformed.  And if by some actor they follow they gain interest in the environment or become interested in learning about their local politics, then im ok with that

Edited by FemmeParallell
adding note

28 minutes ago, FemmeParallell said:

Wow, guy was very direct but most of the stuff he said are the ugly truth..i didnt see this vid until now, cuz i dont like ppl being bully of others, so funny wise i didnt find it funny, but i did find it interesting

edit. I understand no one wants someone else to tell us what to do, i dont like that either, but i have found ppl my generation (im 38) to be careless about the world affairs and environment, and be totally absorbed by their phone and tv. Maybe older folks or mature persons will find this dumb, because they are informed, but trust me that they are reaching out to persons how are totally clueless or careless (and that they dont care about forming their own opinion). Maybe things are different in the US, but here in Mexico, people are 99% uninformed.  And if by some actor they follow they gain interest in the environment or become interested in learning about their local politics, then im ok with that

the same exists here,   uninformed as well as misinformed.  The media out lets are all biased in one degree or another.  people are getting their news from very unreliable sources, and listening to total absolute fools for guidance instead of taking some time to find out things for ones self.  There's definitely a problem going on

57 minutes ago, Karloff said:

one of my favorite quotes :

"Just the fact that Don Henley is for ANYTHING, is reason enough for me to be against it" - Alice Kooper

I dig Alice and after reading that, even more so. Henley is an a$$ Clown.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kidblast said:

the same exists here,   uninformed as well as misinformed.  The media out lets are all biased in one degree or another.  people are getting their news from very unreliable sources, and listening to total absolute fools for guidance instead of taking some time to find out things for ones self.  There's definitely a problem going on

Well yes, you have a point, they will just take that as the truth and dont go and investigate and form their own opinion

46 minutes ago, FemmeParallell said:

Wow, guy was very direct but most of the stuff he said are the ugly truth..

really???

So it took this fellow 5 years of hosting this event to come to this realization??? Seems pretty disingenuous to me. Where was he three years ago??? Oh I know he was cashing those big checks the industry was paying him...... yes that same industry that he’s been a part of and accepting big paychecks from the last 6 years.

I would had respected him more if he had said.....

“I’ve been part of this machine that has marginalized and abused woman for years and I have allowed myself to become a candidate for the same mediocrity that has become an awful norm in this industry, so with that I will donate all the money I have received from this industry for abused women.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duane v said:

really???

So it took this fellow 5 years of hosting this event to come to this realization??? Seems pretty disingenuous to me. Where was he three years ago??? Oh I know he was cashing those big checks the industry was paying him...... yes that same industry that he’s been a part of and accepting big paychecks from the last 6 years.

“I’ve been part of this machine that has marginalized and abused woman for years and I have allowed myself to become a candidate for the same mediocrity that has become an awful norm in this industry, so with that I will donate all the money I have received from this industry for abused women.”

yea.  They are all guilty of the same conduct. But they all like to spew their opinions,  they just create division among people like us.  It's "us" verses "them" and it's gotten so much worse over the last 3 years.

2 hours ago, duane v said:

really???

Its sad that industry in Hollywood eats its own, I feel for the women  and I'm sure it has happened to men too, that get taken advantage of, but on the flip side do you think that there has EVER been an actor or actress go up to a producer and say "I'll do anything to be in your Movie, TV show, Commercial ect."  I'll bet the answer is YES.

And like a rotten song on the radio. If you don't like what he is saying turn it off. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, kidblast said:

yea.  They are all guilty of the same conduct. But they all like to spew their opinions,  they just create division among people like us.  It's "us" verses "them" and it's gotten so much worse over the last 3 years.

Really??  In my 56 years of life nothing has changed and has always been there. And I think social media has put it out there with its pants down for all to see.

Such a bummer that we missed the opportunity to use social media as a portal to bridge our differences as earthlings..... maybe some day😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duane v said:

really???

Up to today i didnt know him, less that he was a comedian and hosted the last 5 years of this event (not a big fan of movies or these type of events). Knowing this now, i can see and suspect that this was just the guy following a script, maybe they just want to spice things up, who knows. He is just cashing in. I mean i never have expected anything real or true to come from Hollywood, they are just "entertainment", i certainly know and get what you say that its an industry that has and have abused women, unfortunately this is not the only place/institution/etc where this happens to us women, we have to deal with it on a daily basis.  And kidblast is right about this polarization they are doing, i think they are realizing ppl are fed up (see all the riots in all parts of the world) they know better to keep us divided than united.

Edited by FemmeParallell
fix typo

37 minutes ago, FemmeParallell said:

Up to today i didnt know him, less that he was a comedian and hosted the last 5 years of this event (not a big fan of movies or these type of events). Knowing this now, i can see and suspect that this was just the guy following a script, maybe they just want to spice things up, who knows. He is just cashing in. I mean i never have expected anything real or true to come from Hollywood, they are just "entertainment", i certainly know and get what you say that its an industry that has and have abused women, unfortunately this is not the only place/institution/etc where this happens to us women, we have to deal with it on a daily basis.  And kidblast is right about this polarization they are doing, i think they are realizing ppl are fed up (see all the riots in all parts of the world) they know better to keep us divided than united.

Ricky is the guy that said it and tried to make comedy out of a bad situation. 

I would like to believe that wasn't scripted.... But you could be right. 

• Like 1

Yes it was scripted and he was reading it off  teleprompter. To be honest, I always thought he was a horses arse, but I agreed with his opinion.

Right now I'm really having a lust fest over the CBS Philly meteorologist, is that bad? Kate Bilo

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Yes it was scripted and he was reading it off  teleprompter. To be honest, I always thought he was a horses arse, but I agreed with his opinion.

Right now I'm really having a lust fest over the CBS Philly meteorologist, is that bad? Kate Bilo

You can think whatever you want, that is not a crime. Its when you act out and do something physical against someone's will that it becomes a problem.

And last I check words don't kill people. It may hurt and make you feel bad but nothing anyone has ever said to me ended my life.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper