Gibson Brands Forums
Karloff

Home Recording

not sure if the lounge is the place to post this but I was wondering / looking for suggestions for decent basic multi track recording systems for home . nothing too crazy or complex. just a basic system to use. 

Hello!

Zoom R24 is quite a good one. Easy to use. It has built-in effects and a drum machine too.

Bence.

• Like 1

Studio One 4 Professional is very good, very intuitive and relatively cheap!

Edit: if it's a DAW you want.

Edited by Pinch
  • Like 1

and I should add that I'm relatively ignorant when it comes to multi track recording. so as user friendly as possible ...

Edited by Karloff

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

and I should add that I'm relatively ignorant when it comes to multi track recording. so as user friendly as possible ...

For most of their carrier The Beatles only needed 4.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

56 minutes ago, Karloff said:

hey Doug... I have a roland VS880EX workstation that I've been thinking of selling.    8 tracks, with lots of capabilities. 

41 minutes ago, kidblast said:

hey Doug... I have a roland VS880EX workstation that I've been thinking of selling.    8 tracks, with lots of capabilities. 

hmmm

47 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

For most of their carrier The Beatles only needed 4.

yea, but they had George Martin on their side. I'm just an idiot in Maryland. 

• Haha 1

Point. The good thing about music these days any one can make a record the bad thing anyone can make a record.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Karloff said:

...decent basic multi track recording systems for home....

Your computer is a decent basic multitrack recording system.  You just need an audio interface (like Focusrite Scarlett) and some software (like... well there are scads of choices.  I use cubase elements.)  It is a great time to be a multitracker!

• Like 2

I had an in home studio from the late '70's up to about 2003 when my Tascam A-3440 finally died. Got it repaired & transferred everything to digital. I have everything stored away now but have been itching to get back to recording. I found the Tascam Model 16: $699.00 that has 16-channel recording capabilities with built in effects. I like it because it works from an analog point of view. I hope to get one in the future as it seems like a perfect fit for me.

Check it out: https://tascam.com/us/product/model_16/top

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-model-16-16-channel-multitrack-recorder-with-analog-mixer-and-usb-interface/l70469000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx8zFhKbv5gIVj8DICh3mEQbHEAYYAiABEgJY6fD_BwE

• Like 1

Just now, deeman said:

Deeman, thanks. and "entry level" is exactly what I'm looking for.

3 hours ago, Murph said:

An iPad with Garageband is better than most studios had in the mid 60's. 

That’s the truth! The last time I was in a studio was 1974. All analogue and a pain in the ***. Nowadays  I use my iPad and it’s a breeze to lay down a backing track.

Karloff - what type of situation are you looking for (why do you want multi tracks I.e.  Recording of yourself, or with people.  If yourself, probably a mic and a guitar, or maybe 2 or just 1 mic? )

I see 2 parts to the equation, the HW you use to plug things into and the SW (DAW) you use to edit and mix tracks.  For HW inputs, I have a presonus VSL44, allows for 4 inputs (what I wanted, but have never used more than 2 at once...) and SW is presonus as well (StudioOne), good but there's a learning curve.  I think if you have an apple and can do garage band for SW it's hand's down the easiest to get a decent sound pretty quick.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, billroy fineman said:

Karloff - what type of situation are you looking for (why do you want multi tracks I.e.  Recording of yourself, or with people.  If yourself, probably a mic and a guitar, or maybe 2 or just 1 mic? )

I see 2 parts to the equation, the HW you use to plug things into and the SW (DAW) you use to edit and mix tracks.  For HW inputs, I have a presonus VSL44, allows for 4 inputs (what I wanted, but have never used more than 2 at once...) and SW is presonus as well (StudioOne), good but there's a learning curve.  I think if you have an apple and can do garage band for SW it's hand's down the easiest to get a decent sound pretty quick.  Good luck!

really I'm looking for a simple "scratch pad" type of system. to make a rough demo of a tune to get the point across to band members of what I'm looking for.  basic tracks. 

Edited by Karloff

5 minutes ago, Karloff said:

really I'm looking for a simple "scratch pad" type of system. to make a rough demo of a tune to get the point across to band members of what I'm looking for.  basic tracks. 

Sounds like maybe if you already have an Ipad, you may be good to go.

For getting ideas down simply and quickly I liked the Tascam Portastudio 4 track cassette, really easy to use. I personally prefer low end analog over low end digital recording any day...

Edited by mihcmac

If you use an iPhone and just want to record ideas, riffs or whatever there is an app called music memos its free an works great. Records using built in mic. 

Edited by labomba

My simple approach is to use a voice memo app on my phone for ideas. You can record yourself singing something or playing a guitar just to get it down. Then I have an Apogee One which I can plug my guitar into as well as having a condenser mic to record vocals included in the One. I then use garage band on my laptop. Very intuitive and simple to use. Super high quality stuff. 

It's been around forever, but a Pod Studio UX2 and a free download of Audacity will achieve what you're after for $200 new or <$100 used.

21 hours ago, mihcmac said:

For getting ideas down simply and quickly I liked the Tascam Portastudio 4 track cassette, really easy to use. I personally prefer low end analog over low end digital recording any day...

Unless you are proficient with Computers & don't mind a steep Learning Curve that can extend to Infinity with $$$ costs that rise exponentially I agree a simple used Tascam 4 Track Cassette PortaStudio is the least expensive, least hassle, fast & easiest way to lay down Music. If you know what you're doing you can make some amazingly good Multi Track Recordings..

For much of their career The Beatles had 2 - 4 Track machines, George Martin, plus Abbey Road Studios & Engrs. Big difference...

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1