Gibson Brands Forums

Label question

eebird

eebird, my 2015 J-45 has the "standard" written on the second line under the J-45, just for sake of comparison. I don't know if there were variations of the label on the 2009 model you have. But otherwise looks normal.

Edited by ALD323

Maybe it is a fig newton of my imagination but It does seem that there is a whole lot of rethinking about did I do the right or wrong thing when I bought this guitar going on.  Is it legit or not.  Does this look right or not and so on.    Is it the result of having too much information at our  disposal?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 2:34 PM, zombywoof said:

Maybe it is a fig newton of my imagination but It does seem that there is a whole lot of rethinking about did I do the right or wrong thing when I bought this guitar going on.  Is it legit or not.  Does this look right or not and so on.    Is it the result of having too much information at our  disposal?

or maybe too many shysters trying to dupe people into buying counterfeits. 

On my J-45 Standard, made in 2015, it is not only two lines on the top but in the bottom part is 'Gibson acoustic', while on the label in the opening post is just 'Gibson'.

'Acoustic' is missing.

Everything is changing at Gibson!

Before the Internet and forums like this one people probably paid little attention to this sort of thing. You can chalk a lot of these concerns up to the consistent inconsistency that is the labeling system at Gibson.  I had similar concerns when I purchased my J-45 True Vintage back in 2008.  I did not really know anything about the True Vintage series at the time. As they weren't a Gibson Acoustic dealer, the fine folks at Cotten Music who I purchased the guitar from weren't really all that familiar with the True Vintage series either.

At that time this model hadn't been around for very long. So I found myself wondering whether or not this guitar was indeed a so-called True Vintage model. For that matter, I wondered whether or not it was a real Gibson (there is no serial number stamped on the back of the headstock, instead it appears inside the guitar on the neck block). I searched for information here on this forum and elsewhere. I don't recall coming up with consistent information back then. In the end, I decided that to me none of this really mattered as it was one of the best sounding guitars I had played. It still is.

Judging by the label itself, there is certainly no reason to assume this guitar is anything other than a "J-45".  If I understand Gibson's serial numbering system correctly, this was the 13th guitar produced on the 103rd day of the year — April 13th, back in 2008. That might strike some as unlucky but in this case it couldn't be any further from the truth. 

j45tvLabel.jpg

6 minutes ago, Weedsland said:

I am Chinese, in my country the market filled with counterfeits. As a common consumer, I must always doubt “the different” goods, such as the different label of Gibson guitar, for not to buy a counterfeit Gibson which cost 3000USD. What a pity! 

Yes, that is a tough position to be in. In that situation I would want to obtain confirmation directly from Gibson as to the specifics of the guitar before handing over my money.