Gibson Brands Forums

ES137 pickups replacement

Dusan

Hello, I'd like to replace my 490R and 498T pickups on my Gibson ES 137 with pickups which are more suitable for jazz, blues with less signal output. I am considering P90-style pickups. Would Gibson's P94s fit in the body properly? As I know, my current 490R and 498T are slightly different in matter of pole spacing (to reflect different distance of strings above neck pickup and bridge pickup). Are P94R and P94T also build this way? And my last question: is there any difference in sound of classic P90 pickup and its humbucker version (P94s)?
Thanks a lot.

Hello Dusan

I have P94s in my 2013 ES 175 (and you've given me an excuse for a picture). They are very suitable for what you want and AFAIK they are same size as a standard Gibson humbucker.   I will try and measure my pole piece spacings (think they are both the same)  and let you know.   Also I think the T & R designations refer to the output - I know T is a bit hotter than R on mine.  

I also have a guitar with standard P90s so maybe I ought to A/B them both for you....I don't think there is much difference, both have a great sound but the P94s hum a bit less (wired for hum cancel in mid-position), and are a bit more powerful than the stock vintage-spec P90. 

ES175-080115.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jdgm said:

Hello Dusan

I have P94s in my 2013 ES 175 (and you've given me an excuse for a picture). They are very suitable for what you want and AFAIK they are same size as a standard Gibson humbucker.   I will try and measure my pole piece spacings (think they are both the same)  and let you know.   Also I think the T & R designations refer to the output - I know T is a bit hotter than R on mine.  

I also have a guitar with standard P90s so maybe I ought to A/B them both for you....I don't think there is much difference, both have a great sound but the P94s hum a bit less (wired for hum cancel in mid-position), and are a bit more powerful than the stock vintage-spec P90. 

Great!

Thank you for the prompt answer. It would be great if you could send me a pole piece spacings details and some audio samples of both P90 and P94. 

Thanks a lot!

Dusan

I have several Gibsons & Epis with a variety of Pickups from P90's, MHS, HB's & the ones you currently have.

I think you can play Jazz successfully with any of them. That said, the P90's can be Bright & Jangly but are very versatile.. The HB's tend to be Warmer..

13 hours ago, Dusan said:

Great!

Thank you for the prompt answer. It would be great if you could send me a pole piece spacings details and some audio samples of both P90 and P94. 

Thanks a lot!

Dusan

Pole piece spacing on both P94s is identical.

Pickup measures 3.65cm by 7.1cm.

Pole pieces are literally 1cm, 2cm, 3cm, 4cm, 5cm, 6cm.

I measured using a very ordinary, old ruler.

Unfortunately I don't have any means of recording audio into my PC at the moment but there are youtube vids that will help you get the idea -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=P90s+vs+P94

20 hours ago, jdgm said:

Pole piece spacing on both P94s is identical.

Pickup measures 3.65cm by 7.1cm.

Pole pieces are literally 1cm, 2cm, 3cm, 4cm, 5cm, 6cm.

I measured using a very ordinary, old ruler.

Unfortunately I don't have any means of recording audio into my PC at the moment but there are youtube vids that will help you get the idea -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=P90s+vs+P94

Thaks a lot!

D.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, jdgm said:

Hello Dusan

ES175-080115.jpg

JDGM,

The '94's look to be a drop-in replacement for the '57's. This true?

If so then I can swap out my Hummers in my 335 with those and not drill holes, eh?

2 hours ago, gampadoug said:

JDGM,

The '94's look to be a drop-in replacement for the '57's. This true?

If so then I can swap out my Hummers in my 335 with those and not drill holes, eh?

Er.....I think so.   AFAIK they were designed as P90s in a HB casing....pickup measures 3.65cm by 7.1cm.   

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I bought a stock ES 137 in 2007. I wouldn't change the pickups (or anything else on the guitar) for all of the tea in China. I had a '60's 335 & '70's Les Paul since the 1970's. Sound is subjective, but to my ear the 137 is by far the best sounding,  most versatile Gibson I've ever owned.  I play through a custom, hand-made valve amp based on a Fender Blackface '65.  The combination is magic. For overdrive, I use a  "Tube Screamer"

• Like 1