Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite song to play?

smithy78

Since Ive been loving you..

Iam going through an acoustic stage at the moment.... Its almost BBQ season and the parties where the guitar is passed around...

I like Starsailor's acoustic stuff... so im playing loads of that at the moment.. with a bit of Counting Crows chucked in!

Flight959

No favorite... but some I seem to enjoy frequently

Hendrix: Voodoo Chile (slight return) and The Wind Cries Mary

Free: Mr. Big and All Right Now

ZZ Top: Balinese and La Grange

James Gang: Funk #49

Steppenwolf: The Pusher

The Who: Can't Explain, My Generation, We're Not Gonna Take It - usually played as a medley

UFO: Too Hot to Handle

Thin Lizzy: Jailbreak

Most of them morph into something. I don't generally play them correctly - or at least not for long.

I also have a bunch of my own stuff that I play all the time - not full songs, but riffs, patterns, chord changes. I don't have names for them - but have been playing them for years. I use them as reference points for sound - like if I want to check out an amp's bass I play this little thing in E. Midrange? This other thing in A. Squealies? This thing in B. It's weird, but since I know exactly what those little bits should sound like, they are like my sound check.

Loads of old favourites.

Jigsaw Puzzle blues - PG's FM

Steppin' Out - 'Beano' version.

Nobody knows you.....- Besssie Smith style.

Amazing - Aerosmith (never fails to put a smile on my face).

Sophisticated Lady - Joe Pass-style (I wish...)

And I've come across an unusually 'laid-back-salsa' style version of Route-66 which is actually performed by Chuck Berry. It really works!

Archived