Gibson Brands Forums

NCD - New Case Day

MichaelT

My 2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute Goldtop with P90's came with a gig bag. I've been semi-looking for a hard shell case for it. I found a case on Facebook Marketplace for a decent price and drove over to Lexington, KY to buy it. It's in great condition and is one of those brown cases with the shroud and combination lock. I'm not sure what year it is or what years they were produced. He didn't know the combination so I found a video to figure out what the combination is and reset it to 000. Video URL is:  Gibson Combination Lock 

Anyone know what year this case might be or when they quit making them? I've heard 2002 but just checking if anyone knows for certain. And, here are the pictures of the guitar with the case.

82288147_2589969214443513_56427954601763   82586267_2589969201110181_38577772921303

82416409_2589969204443514_25223586843365   81977543_2589969277776840_89102845890170

• Like 2

Nice! These are great cases, I personally think they are more sturdy than the new brown cases.

For production years, 02 could be correct. My '01 335 has this style case, but my '03 LP Classic has the black case/black lining/black silk cover.

My '95 Studio has this exact same case.

I believe they started using them in 1990?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FemmeParallell said:

Awesome! i like those old cases, i know they made some in the 90s but not sure if also 2002, but either way its great you got it for your tribute  (my tribute still sleeps in the gig bag hehe)

The gig bag was real nice for keeping the dust off but I was wary about taking it to and from rehearsal and gigs in that gig bag. And, my other Les Pauls were getting tired of sharing their cases with that Goldtop because it meant that they didn't get to go to the gig!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I have the SG version that I got in 91 with my SG-X, I still have It, still holding up quite well and all the hardware is still good. Oh, also set combination 007, yea real original I know.

Combinations I tried were 000, 123, 321, 333, 666, 667, 007, 420 and it ended up being 209.

Nice case!  Those I have generally seen come with Gibsons from the 90s.  The only thing I never cared for on these are the handles as the leather (maybe) starts to get cut by the clasps that retain it to the case.  But they will definitely protect your guitar nicely.  If the tolex starts to peel away, I have used wood glue to provide it with some adhesiveness as a case that is nearly 20+ years old may suffer from this.  But after that, they should be good to go.  Look very classy and all that.  So congrats, I'm sure your goldtop is happy to have a nice safe zone to reside in 😀

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 1:21 AM, 01GT eibach said:

Nice case for that cool guitar.  I like the gold TRC on your gold top.  Nice touch.

Thank you. When I first got that guitar, my lovely lady kept calling it Goldtoppy. So, that name stuck. Last Christmas (2018) she got me the TRC made and it says Goldtoppy in the etching on it. It's one of my absolute favorite guitars. Plays the same as my Standard, has great tone and sustain. I was very happy to get a good case at a good price. Now all four Les Pauls have brown Gibson cases. Two are Gibson USA, the other two just say Gibson.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaelT said:

Thank you. When I first got that guitar, my lovely lady kept calling it Goldtoppy. So, that name stuck. Last Christmas (2018) she got me the TRC made and it says Goldtoppy in the etching on it. It's one of my absolute favorite guitars. Plays the same as my Standard, has great tone and sustain. I was very happy to get a good case at a good price. Now all four Les Pauls have brown Gibson cases. Two are Gibson USA, the other two just say Gibson.

Goldtoppy is so cute! like it. I named my 2017 gold top tribute  Duane after Duane Allman..that one doesnt have a hardcase, and my Norlin era black beauty has a generic one but i dont see myself spending $300 or more for an era correct one right now, maybe in the future, and also im not sure which one would be the correct, as i've seen several listings for Norlin LP's and they all have different cases and say its all orginal 😕

do you have Goldtoppy with stock pick ups? or did you upgraded?

Edited by FemmeParallell
fix typo

34 minutes ago, FemmeParallell said:

Goldtoppy is so cute! like it. I named my 2017 gold top tribute  Duane after Duane Allman..that one doesnt have a hardcase, and my Norlin era black beauty has a generic one but i dont see myself spending $300 or more for an era correct one right now, maybe in the future, and also im not sure which one would be the correct, as i've seen several listings for Norlin LP's and they all have different cases and say its all orginal 😕

do you have Goldtoppy with stock pick ups? or did you upgraded?

I have two Goldtops with P90's. The 2017 Tribute is Goldtoppy. The 2018 Classic is "Butterscotchy" because "he's a different color and smells like butterscotch" is what she said.

So, the pickups are stock Gibson P90's. The Tribute has a printed circuit board and 9 hole weight relief. The Classic is hand wired and no weight relief and it's about 11 pounds. They sound very similar through an amp. Without an amp, Goldtoppy is brighter and louder, perhaps from the satin finish and lack of thicker and glossier nitrocellulose lacquer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MichaelT said:

I have two Goldtops with P90's. The 2017 Tribute is Goldtoppy. The 2018 Classic is "Butterscotchy" because "he's a different color and smells like butterscotch" is what she said.

So, the pickups are stock Gibson P90's. The Tribute has a printed circuit board and 9 hole weight relief. The Classic is hand wired and no weight relief and it's about 11 pounds. They sound very similar through an amp. Without an amp, Goldtoppy is brighter and louder, perhaps from the satin finish and lack of thicker and glossier nitrocellulose lacquer.

im loving the names hehe....i can vouch for that, my 2017 tribute resonates even when unplugged, love it!