Gibson Brands Forums

Can't decide whether to trade or not

sunking101

Dilemma! What would you rather have?

I currently have a white 2010 USA Gibson Les Paul Custom (9.5 outta 10 condition) and a heritage cherry sunburst 2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s (10 outta 10 condition).

I have the opportunity to trade BOTH of these for a brand new R8. I know the reissue is nicer than either of mine but is it nicer than having both of mine?  It's nice having two LPs and I do use them both but the R8 is so nice! I just can't seem to make the call.

Edited by sunking101

The R8 is brand new in a shop and therefore full RRP. I'd be getting trade-in prices for mine but ignoring that whole financial side of the equation, would ONE R8 be preferable to a LP Standard.and a LP  Custom? What would you guys rather have in your collection? The two decent axes or the one stunner?

I think that I also would keep the two guitars. Re-issues are very nice but I'm guessing that your two LP's will have completely different characteristic's so you would lose some versatility. I also think it's all to easy to be seduced by a brand new shinny guitar.

Your call at the end of the day.

• Like 1

I would also keep my 2 LP's...if i really liked the R8 maybe, MAYBE i would try to sell mine and buy the R8 i would never trade them in at guitar "trade in" prices, for me you loose a lotta money doing that

i have a R6 which is awesome, but my Deluxe/black beauty and other a traditional i had  are/were also awesome

Edited by FemmeParallell
fix typo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, FemmeParallell said:

MAYBE i would try to sell mine and buy the R8 i would never trade them in at guitar "trade in" prices, for me you loose a lotta money doing that

Bingo!! Reissue are nice, but a brand new Standard a that Custom are nothing at all to sneeze at. 

I think the consensus  is to hold onto those Lesters. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SteveT2 said:

Keep what you have.  Yeah the new one would be nice but I wouldn't give up two great  Les Pauls like that for one. Finances aside, having a backup is always a plus

If the 2 LPs are your (Sunking nor SteveT2) only gigging guitars, it could make a difference. Personally, I seldom take a backup guitar to a gig.

Also I have several gigging guitars. So for me, if I preferred the R8 sound, I would make the trade. 

10 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Never could resist throwing a spanner in the works (um... wrench in the works!). default_eusa_whistle.gif

I know what a spanner is. You English have cool words for stuff like lorry and lift. We just call it a truck and an elevator.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

What would you guys rather have in your collection? The two decent axes or the one stunner?

I have Two REAL good Les Paul Standards and have for the better part of 20 years.

I can sort of put myself in this hypothetical situation. 

There is no way I can see myself with a trade that would involve the two for one.  No matter what that "one" was.

Besides..  I don't buy into the whole reissues (R8/R9) are superior to a production line standard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twang Gang said:

Your 2019 Standard 50s model should be pretty close to what an R8 would feel and sound like.   So you'd be giving up two really nice guitars for one that may be just slightly better than what you have.  I'd say keep what you have.

AMEN MY BROTHER!!

Trading two(2) maple topped mahogany backed bound boarded two humbucker guitars for one(1) maple topped mahogany backed bound boarded two humbucker guitar by the same maker doesn't sound like a deal to me. 

rct

• Like 3

I'm thinking if you have like 20 guitars already, and you really like the guitar it might make sense. The other scenario I can think would be that you picked up that particular R8 guitar and it played better than any guitar you've ever owned or played before and the Custom and Standard you want to trade never really jived with you, then it would make sense to trade.

If the 2 situations above do not apply, you must buy.... with a trade.

• Like 1

Mind you, this is my opinion YMMV. I wouldn’t do it. There are tons of R8s out there and if you decided you didn’t like it as much, you’ll deeply regret it that you lost 2 great guitars for 1. While I think the RIs are very nice, you’d be losing out. Save your money and buy one later. I don’t like to do trades personally because it usually seems like someone does better off than the other guy. And unless it was a real special R8, you’d take a pretty big hit on the price when you sell it. Even then if it were some special run you’re waiting for a “special” buyer costing you time most likely dealing with the troubles of selling and shipping. Just be patient and save up the dough. Again plenty of R8s out there. 

... and what you really want is an R9, haha! Best wishes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sunking101 said:

Well I didn't do the trade folks. I kept my guitars and yesterday bought my thjrd LP, a transluscent cherry red Traditional. I've always loved that colour!

Well, now you need to start a new thread showing off that new Lester!! We would love to see it!!!