Gibson Brands Forums

Original Lucille 38 years old need help

Hello to everyone, I'm Nicola from Italy and I need help to give a new life to an old dismissed Lucille (sorry for my bad english). I found out this guitar with no pickup, no varitone, ... no hardware (see pictures). I want to make it play again, is there someone who can help me? I mean:

. Identify the missing parts

. Identify where to buy them

. Find out a whole schematic about this parts

Any suggestion will be welcome.

Nicola

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Hi jdgm, someone told me it was a Lucille but I really don't know if it's true (and maybe what you said is right).

Anyway, is the wiring diagram you linked me right however? Over than this, which model of pickup do you suggest me to use?

I thank you for your help,

Nicola

Hello Nicola

Yes it is an ES335 Studio, not a 'Lucille'. 

So the wiring will be like this diagram, which also shows the electronic components you will need -

https://www.siglermusiconline.com/pages/diagrams-gibson-es335-50s

Here is a guide which might help -

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/how-to-rewire-a-hollowbody-guitar

There are a huge number of different pickups available. The one in your picture is a Seymour Duncan which - if it is working properly - is a very good pickup and quite expensive.

You could buy another Seymour Duncan to match, or for about the same money you could buy a pair of cheaper pickups which should be just as good but not a famous brand name.

You might also want nice shiny chrome pickup covers which could be included in the price.  I like Kent Armstrong pickups - another famous name - but Artec pickups (for instance) are much cheaper and very good for the money.  You need humbucking pickups.   And you need control knobs, a bridge, bridge mounting studs, and a stopbar tailpiece.

I am in the UK - do you intend to buy via the internet?   If you are in Italy are there any guitar shops or repairmen you can take this to?  Wiring is fairly easy but you need to know what you are doing!  I don't rewire my own guitars, am lucky to have a friend who does it for not too much money.

Thomann in Germany is a big supplier and you might find them to be a good price, too.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/spareparts_for_instruments.html

Also, please look at the link below which is part of this site - for Gibson owners in Italy.  If you could re-post your query there - maybe you will get some answers!

https://forum.gibson.com/forum/22-gibson-italy/

Best wishes

jdgm

Edited by jdgm

On 1/16/2020 at 2:18 AM, NicoGas said:

Hi jdgm, someone told me it was a Lucille but I really don't know if it's true (and maybe what you said is right).

Anyway, is the wiring diagram you linked me right however? Over than this, which model of pickup do you suggest me to use?

I thank you for your help,

Nicola

Depends on what you want, what you like, how much you can spend. Mine came with 490's. People love em and people hate em.  I loved em. I owned a Gibby BB King Lucille and that is not one. Sorry to bust your bubble. It would have a gloss finish, block inlays, 2 jacks for going stereo (really dual mono outs) to 2 amps that are placed where a LP's jacks are and not on the top like a traditional 335 or SG, a TP-6 tail peice, gold hardware, and a Varitone Switch. The only thing similar between that and a Lucille is no F holes. 

Here is what mine looked like. 

7EojopJ.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Hi Sgt Pepper, thanx for your reply. I wrote to Gibson and you're right, this is their answer: "

Hi Mr Gaspari,

The serial number refers in our database to a guitar Gibson ES- 335 Studio in Ebony finish, chrome hardware, made in 1988 ( 214th day ) in Nashville US. Unfortunately, we don't have available papers from 1988.

Features:

ES335 Studio:  No f-holes, 2 dirty fingers humbucking pickups with covers (earliest with exposed coil PAF humbuckers), single bound top and back, mahogany neck, unbound rosewood fingerboard (earliest with ebony), dot inlay, no peghead ornament, decal logo, ebony or cherry finish.  Introduced 1986.

Best regards,

".

I've got 2 more questions:

1. The man of the guitar shop close to me (Gibson reseller certified) suggests me to mount 498's (and not dirty fingers); do you know them? Are they similar to 490's? And what about '57 classic?

2. Gibson also told me that they haven't the coverplate for the back of my guitar; do you know where I can find it out?

I thank all for your help.

Nicola

I had a 498 in an Explorer and ripped it out. That  is how much I liked it. People love 57 classics. I think I had a set in an ES-335. I liked those. I'll post a pic when I get on a computer. Its easier to post on there than my phone.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper