Gibson Brands Forums

eeeehhhh string advice?

MorrisrownSal

I have a set of Curt Mangan PB strings on my J45 - TV. They are awesome. My last set. They have been on for two weeks, and sound great. My problem is I played for a long time two days back, and didnt realize I opened a cut on my picking hand. I bled on a lot of strings. I have a ton of Martin strings in the strings box, which sound pretty good... so my choices are:

a) Don't change the strings. They sound great. And your son won't want to play the guitar when he comes home.... Win!

b) Order new Mangan strings even though you have a dozen other packs in the strings box.

c)  Put on the Martin SPs and keep doing that till you use them all up.

d) Take off the strings, package them, and sell them as SalFromChatham Protein-infused MAX strings. $49.99

Hey Sal - my 2 cents, if they don't visually have anything wrong with them, I'd keep them, but if you look at them and can tell something got on them I would change them.  If you do change them, I would order new mangan strings, because you'll feel better about it - and just thinking out loud, if you don't use the martins, you can just send them up to me and I'll take them off your hands 🙂

This would be a good poll question.

Don’t Know anything about the Curt Magnesium strings – hell,  I haven’t even tried the Mongrels yet.

Or,  you could take a page out of the Emin7 playbook, and boil them. This could even be done without removing strings from the headstock by using the old capo trick (slacken,  capo,  & pop bridge pins) & into the cauldron with the first 10 or 12 inches of the string set. 😬

Don't feel obliged to put a set of strings on just because you already have them in stock. If there are other strings you really  like, order a few sets. I have a shoebox full of unused sets just for "emergencies", but the fact is that because I'm primarily using DR Sunbeams these days, those other sets will sit in the shoebox for now.

I suspect other folks here are much like me in that regard--boxes of sets of strings you may never use. It's a cheap enough vice that I don't feel much guilt about it.

9 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

I have a set of Curt Mangan PB strings on my J45 - TV. They are awesome. My last set. They have been on for two weeks, and sound great. My problem is I played for a long time two days back, and didnt realize I opened a cut on my picking hand. I bled on a lot of strings. I have a ton of Martin strings in the strings box, which sound pretty good... so my choices are:

a) Don't change the strings. They sound great. And your son won't want to play the guitar when he comes home.... Win!

b) Order new Mangan strings even though you have a dozen other packs in the strings box.

c)  Put on the Martin SPs and keep doing that till you use them all up.

d) Take off the strings, package them, and sell them as SalFromChatham Protein-infused MAX strings. $49.99

I'm off to disinfect all my used guitars!

Soak some blood and sweat in to the wood, Sal!

I am trying mediums (Elixir PB) on my Gibson J50 and my Taylor 717e BE..... I have played on lot more over the various Xmas time days off and unknowingly built up some beef, so I am treating the mediums like a sax player moving up to thicker reeds...only possible after plenty of playing! The mediums get weird when getting old and really hard to play, so...new strings more often! Except...the shops I frequent have none in stock...

So a dilemma - back to 12s Lights?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I knew Curt when he used to make his strings in my lil' home town in California. He worked for Ernie Ball started his own deal when they moved to the desert and then moved his gig to Colorado. Haven't really used 'em after I didn't get them for free anymore but his electric strings were top notch. May have to give them another try for acoustic and send him an email and say what's up...

I  knew a homeless guy who would boil his strings over the campfire... WTF buy a new set you cheap bastard.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:52 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Sounds like a First World Problem.  I'd be more worried about blood having dripped into the sound hole. Except I usually know when I'm bleeding and try not to get my DNA on anything I can't clean up with bleach. 

A few years ago I traded a couple of guitars for a 000-28EC . Was in mint condition and thought I got the better end of the deal. After I got home and checked it out a little more closely, couldn't figure out what the little spots were on the label inside the guitar. Checked farther and I was convinced they were splatters of blood. Never felt the same about that guitar after that.....🤮

13 hours ago, Joe M said:

A few years ago I traded a couple of guitars for a 000-28EC . Was in mint condition and thought I got the better end of the deal. After I got home and checked it out a little more closely, couldn't figure out what the little spots were on the label inside the guitar. Checked farther and I was convinced they were splatters of blood. Never felt the same about that guitar after that.....🤮

mental note... do NOT sell my J-45 to Joe!

On 1/14/2020 at 12:26 PM, FemmeParallell said:

Ahh its just a lil blood, wont hurt you hehe

16 hours ago, rbpicker said:

That wouldn’t bother me in the least...wipe ‘em down and play is what I’d do.

roger

fyi, fellas- forum name "bloodystrings" is available. (just saying)

and. . . mental note- don't BUY a guitar from a guy named bloodystrings.

• Haha 1